Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Puppies aren't stupid. They know when they have had enough. When they start to lag, or are even just trudging along, or stop and sit, it is time for a break. If you need to keep going, you can easily pick up the puppy and carry it.

I have seen many puppies walked far longer than that rule and they were able to serve long, strenuous working lives as dog guides or other service dogs. The trick is not to force them on when they have had enough.

Do all the experts forbid letting them play until they drop? I see a lot of that too when they get a chance.

Any studies backing that rule?
Probably why many Labs look like greyhound crosses!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone!
Yeah there is an 18 month labrador next door we go and play with a bit!
Have booked him in for puppy training classes to get similar sized dogs to teach him some manners this thursday, as he tries to hump the labrador a lot, and jumps at her, which may be okay as she is quite patient and submissive, but if he tries that with a large less patient dog - that wouldn't be good!

I thought they werent supposed to start humping until they are like 4 months old!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Puppies aren't stupid. They know when they have had enough. When they start to lag, or are even just trudging along, or stop and sit, it is time for a break. If you need to keep going, you can easily pick up the puppy and carry it.

I have seen many puppies walked far longer than that rule and they were able to serve long, strenuous working lives as dog guides or other service dogs. The trick is not to force them on when they have had enough.

Do all the experts forbid letting them play until they drop? I see a lot of that too when they get a chance.

Any studies backing that rule?
Actually... yes! there are many experts on training who say you shouldn't let a puppy play until it, and I quote, "drops" .... many experts say that when a puppy is playing roughly with you or with other pups or dogs, you need to watch it carefully for signs that it's getting tired.... this usually means they're getting more intense (an example is that they start to ignore your voice, start growling or biting more, become even wilder then before...) that is the moment you should end the playtime and provide rest.... that teaches a pup when enough is enough, teaches them bite inhibition, and that it's ok to back off when they're tired.....

I'm not saying that pups are stupid... I am saying that pups are babies who need guidance from responsible owners! By the time an owner takes a pup for a walk and it refuses to go any further, lags behind etc etc... this means that the owner has gone way beyond the limits.... a pup who has been fully vaccinated should spend it's life on 4 paws going out, during the walk, and coming home..... and an owner should be pup-sensitive enough to know how far said walk should be!

If you want I'm sure I can find plenty of (international) expert quotes to back up my story, but then I also challenge you to give me expert quotes (other then those of your own organization, and preferably quotes from several other countries other then the US, not all dog experts are English speakers)) which state that it's fine to take young pups out for as long a walk as you, the owner, wants, and quotes by experts stating that it's fine to let pups play until they drop....

Too many pups are basically ruined when they are very young, because the owners are not willing to incorporate the pup's schedule into their own... the pups are in the end too tired to learn anything other then that when they start to ignore their owner, really growl seriously, and really bite... that's when they're allowed to rest..... and guess where these pups end up?

I'm not saying Labman that your dogs end up this way, I have absolutely nothing at all to back that up..... but many a dog does...... one hour play (that includes pre-walk, walk, and after walk time before it's asleep) is two hours sleep for young pups.... and that's what we're talking about here... an 11 week old little pup....
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by GlitterChix21 View Post
Thanks everyone!
Yeah there is an 18 month labrador next door we go and play with a bit!
Have booked him in for puppy training classes to get similar sized dogs to teach him some manners this thursday, as he tries to hump the labrador a lot, and jumps at her, which may be okay as she is quite patient and submissive, but if he tries that with a large less patient dog - that wouldn't be good!

I thought they werent supposed to start humping until they are like 4 months old!
You sound as if you are well on the ball with your pup and his future development. Follow everyone's advice, except for Labman, and you won't go far wrong
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2010, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Bitkin;1991395]You sound as if you are well on the ball with your pup and his future development. [QUOTE]

Thankyou - I like to know I am doing the best I can for the wee man!

cintvelt - i did not realise they bark/growl more when tired - that would explain why he randomly gets rougher with the lab next door after 10-15 mins of playing! I shall keep that in mind!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by GlitterChix21 View Post

LOLOL some start whilst they are still in the nest with the rest of the litter & it isn't confined to the dogs either bitches can hump for England as well !!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
LOLOL some start whilst they are still in the nest with the rest of the litter & it isn't confined to the dogs either bitches can hump for England as well !!
He only ever does it to a large soft item (like a cushion bed, or a large soft toy), or when playing with the labrador next door!
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:07 PM
There is a saying 'if you ask three trainers a question the only thing they will agree on is that the other two are probably wrong' lol. It's not really true, of course, lots of trainers will agree on lots of things but very often people will disagree about the best way to train/bring up a dog and it can be confusing when looking for help.

Re the exercise question - I would suggest you always err on the side of caution. I agree five or ten minutes walking is ample. The problem with terriers is that they will often walk until they drop - not good.

With a young puppy you can't possibly physically exercise him enough to get rid of his energy without doing possible long term harm to his joints. The good news is that you can get rid of his energy by getting him to use his brain. I know you have started training your puppy so you will find that his energy does get used up - eventually

One thing on that, though, I hear from a lot of owners that their puppies are 'manic' 'hyper' etc and what is in fact happening is that the puppy is over-tired and needs more rest.

Val
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2010, 07:55 PM
To the OP, Joedee at the most may have 1% of the knowledge of the professionals whose advice I rely on. Some answers are based on what somebody pulled out of their butt a long time ago. Others are based on research and extensive, documented experience.
Typical arrogant Labman post promoting advice provided by some anonymous professionals who can't be named in case they are 'harassed' probably by people reporting them and Labman for dog abuse.

Labman you could learn an awful lot from Joedee and the many other knowledgeable people here who are interested in the welfare of dogs not their own massive egos.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Val H View Post
One thing on that, though, I hear from a lot of owners that their puppies are 'manic' 'hyper' etc and what is in fact happening is that the puppy is over-tired and needs more rest.

Val
Oh right!
He is not overly hyper, but sometimes has bursts where he looks like he can't stop running - that could be it!
I have stuck to no more than 10-15 mins, and we do play and training in the evening!
He knows "leave it" (sometimes ), sit, lie down, shake (paw), wait (sit down and wait for a few secs), okay (release word) and come/his name.
Not bad for a pup just over 11 weeks old I think!
He picks things up SO fast - it is quite scary
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >