View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fix
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Dr Johns contains artifical preservatives im trying to find a dry dog food without.I think ive decided on Arden Grange or Pero as they dont seem to contain any just deciding whether to to go for the adult or junior type.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
All dry dog food have preservatives and antioxidants but you are right about Arden Grange not having any artificial additives they are natural, whether this is good or bad I haven't a clue as some natural substances are actually worse than artificial ones.

They have suggested that artificial additives cause learning difficulties in children which would explain why the BC doesn't have any brains whatsoever
fix
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Yep i agree all dry dog food has preservatives and antioxidants but from what ive read the artificial ones can definately cause problems in later life.It'll be natural all the way im afraid!
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I think trying to find the right food is harder than deciding what dog you want in the first place. LOL Hope you manage to settle on one soon.

You know some pet shops have samples that you can try of some of the complete foods. That way you don't spend money on a huge bag to find the dog won't eat it.
fix
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I think trying to find the right food is harder than deciding what dog you want in the first place. LOL Hope you manage to settle on one soon.

You know some pet shops have samples that you can try of some of the complete foods. That way you don't spend money on a huge bag to find the dog won't eat it.
Yes I totally agree! I always wanted an Akita it was an easy choice lol,I didnt know samples were available though i might just buy a small bag of AG to see how it goes down
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Yep, some dogs will turn their nose up at the best quality and more expensive type, and others wolf down the cheap stuff with gusto.

Some thrive on raw whilst others cannot seem to stomach it.

Two of our dogs will eat practically anything but the two youngsters are very picky.

Sample packs are handy, but we gone down the route of buying a larger bag of food only to find they then turn their nose up at it.

Finding the right food can be a minefield in some cases and your best intentions can become your undoing.

Either way, good luck and hopefully you will find something that meets your requirements and your dogs. Arden grange seems to be a popular choice on these forums so it cannot be a bad thing, so is raw feeding too, but there has been many a debate about the pros and cons of feeding raw.
Barry
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I serve up James Well-beloved (JWB) for Tikka. As most others have mentioned no 2 dogs are the same and it may be a case with a bit of trial and error!? JWB works very well for Tikka, can't complain! All i would add is due to you having an Akita (Fairly bigger breed) I would make sure if going for dry complete you go for a brand with the JNR stage to help the transition from puppy to adult!
fix
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Im gonna buy AG large breed junior and aslong as she'll eat it ill stick with that for the next 6 months or so then move her onto the adult large breed hopefully she wont complain with that!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3