Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Because I used to feed them before I discovered AG lol!
Becky
Thats fine then, so you should be in more of a postion to know thats while it was bad for yours and AG good that AG maybe bad for some while they do well on bakers.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I agree but I still think that the reason these brands are at the top is because they are cheap rather than because they suit all dogs!
Becky
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I agree but I still think that the reason these brands are at the top is because they are cheap rather than because they suit all dogs!
Becky
Have we both just agreed with each other?

P.S It will be a high reason why people do choose it, but not soley.
huckleberry
New Member!
Female 

02-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Here is a thought... I discovered this forum about a couple of months ago and up until then i didn't realise there was such a huge range of foods available for dogs & havent heard/ come accross more than half of the ones mentioned in here i think people buy supermarket brands for there dogs because its convenient to buy with the rest of there weekly shop & like myself are a bit in the dark about the whole feeding issue. I admit mine was fed on tesco finest for nearly 9 years & is now fed on pedigree with tesco mixer. I hasten to add i only found out about the animal testing thing this week regarding pedigree which upsets me a bit. I'm also hesitant to change as my dog loves the food she maintains a healthy weight & has a beautiful coat & isn't hyper active. So long as my dog remains healthy & happy then so am I.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I feed Wagg - not because it's cheap but because they all seem to do well on it.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I was reading this thread with the intention of mentioning WAGG but Phils beat me too it , Ive tried a few but nothing seems better for my dogs, they are calmer, healthier to look at and dont break wind hardly at all compared to using any of the others The added bonus for us on a budget is 20Kg is only about a tenner! It would be my suggestions should I be asked.
None of the E no's etc that the infamous bakers has. got to be worth a try esp compared to the budget brands like Tesco's own?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I think there is a difference between `cheap` and `inexpensive` if that makes sense.

My lot are fed on an inexpensive food which suits them brilliantly, it does`nt contain colours and additives etc and whenever I have tried them on other more expensive foods I have always gone back to `ol faithful Vitalin in the end because they have eiher been the same on it or better, than on the more high profile foods which are also additive / colour free etc

Lets not forget also, one of the most expensive - Hills - which is often `prescribed` by vets is often ignored by those same vets in preference of basic cheap old Chappie for dogs with tummy upsets because its bland but has the nutrients required [ provided the dogs are not allergic to any contents the same as with any other food ].
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Also with you on Vitalin &/or Wilsons (vsimilar), I have used this as a supplemental over the years and it gives a boost to a drained dog or when there coats dry out a bit etc.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Maddy was on Bakers as a pup and her poos were nice and not too many, she had a lovely coat, kept the weight on (which is hard for Maddy). The only reason I changed her, and the only bad point I found from my experience was that she was extremely hyperactive which changed almost immediately upon changing to Burns. However on Burns she couldn't keep the weight on and she was on Burns when she first developed colitis. No saying it was the food but that's just what happened.

All mine are now on Chappie and this is a 'cheap' food, but all are doing great on it and it keeps Maddy's colitis at bay, as does it Charlie skin allergies, and Dusty isn't piling on the pounds as she did with JWB and RC, so we are all happy with our cheap crap.
My Dads dogs Vet swears by Chappie. He says it is the best dog food out there.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
never saw a vet a lived till she was 19 my old dog fed on tesco's finest
The value brand will be the same stuff, just packaged differently. Bro works for a supermarket and told me how it works.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >