Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I hope Loki recovers soon Linda.
Myra do you have a large towel or sheet and put it under Nigredo and use it like a sling you can then hold the two top bits that come over his back to help him get around while waiting to get to the vet.
Have you checked his toes ? Dillon did similar to this at 6 months old vet said cruciate but on closer inspection when getting home I saw the rear toe had a problem took back to the vet but she refused to accept that and said we had to wait for the referral to the vet school for cruciate damage. X-rays showed mild hip dysplasia no cruciate damage and that he had indeed damages the rear toe as we suspected. It has healed wrongly and he now has degenerative joint disease in that digit. If it had been looked at straight away they may of been able to correct it. Might be worth checking yourself or making the sure the vet checks toes too.
Hoping he has strained a muscle badly.

It was a fall, so hopefully a simple trauma and I would let him make the "running." Dogs dont express pain as we do and I would be wary of prodding or checking much more. Let him rest in quiet and heal
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Thanks for the comfort tawneywolf, Rosebud, and lore. He's not himself at all. He's gotten quite a bit of water down, but has refused his food, which is something he never does. I let Jade out for her normal morning pee and whatnot, and she kept hovering over him and bothering him by headbutting him (worried about him, I suppose) so I put her with my brother upstairs for now.

My cat is near him now, and he is stick still and not moving a bit. My dad has been in a rotten mood lately, bad news from the docs and another medicine he has to take. My next door neighbor has been missing for over a week now, not answering her phone or door, not checking her mail, taking out her garbage, mowing her lawn, or responding to notes left on her door.

I don't like her (can't stand, actually) but she is over 60, has had cancer and is in ill health, and I'm getting very worried and am thinking about calling police and filing a missing person's report. Her kids don't care about her (hate her) and never visit or call her, so the only person that would care enough is me.

I'm only going to wait a little while, maybe a day or so max... and then we're heading to the vets (regardless of whether I can pay for it or not). We have to travel very far to the "good" vet who can do the X-rays etc. which is very annoying but clearly that needs to be done if he can't use the leg.

I hope he's okay. He landed normally from what I saw, but immediately crashed to the floor. He didn't yell or anything and he doesn't flinch or anything when I gently move the leg. I really have no idea what is wrong. It's almost as if the leg is paralyzed more than in pain...
PLEASE get help for your old neighbour.. whether you like her or not is not the point. She is a fellow human and clearly in need...heaven help her if you are all she has! She could be lying sick or injured as I did 24 hours after my fall

Please get help for her.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Lynn, yes... I'll get a large sheet and use it if he will stand it. I checked over his toes, he does have double rear dewclaws on both rear legs, which always snag on things etc. but I could not see any damage to his toes at all. I'll look again, though.

Nigredo has mild hip dysplasia in his left leg (about 75-80% coverage or so) but his right leg is perfectly fine normally. I have no idea what caused such a severe injury without me noticing anything different. It's very worrying.

If it's a cruciate ligament tear, affording the treatment is going to be extremely difficult. These surgeries are thousands of dollars, which I just don't have.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Lynn, yes... I'll get a large sheet and use it if he will stand it. I checked over his toes, he does have double rear dewclaws on both rear legs, which always snag on things etc. but I could not see any damage to his toes at all. I'll look again, though.

Nigredo has mild hip dysplasia in his left leg (about 75-80% coverage or so) but his right leg is perfectly fine normally. I have no idea what caused such a severe injury without me noticing anything different. It's very worrying.

If it's a cruciate ligament tear, affording the treatment is going to be extremely difficult. These surgeries are thousands of dollars, which I just don't have.

Not necessarily a severe injury Myra any more than wee dogs was.. Let him rest today without moving. A body i geared to healing.

PLEASE call someone re your old neighbour, like NOW!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
PLEASE get help for your old neighbour.. whether you like her or not is not the point. She is a fellow human and clearly in need...heaven help her if you are all she has! She could be lying sick or injured as I did 24 hours after my fall

Please get help for her.
I'm worried about her, and yesterday I asked my parents, and a few other neighbors if they had seen her... and all answered no. I have left notes on her door and have called her and emailed her, no response.

She is a nasty woman and neither my parents nor the other neighbors care enough about her to do anything to possibly help her. Her kids also abandoned her long ago. I'm the only one that is even remotely worried, nobody else cared and they were all like "Well now that you say it..." because they did not care enough to notice she's been gone!

I will call police later today and file a report. I need to try and see if her car is inside her garage. If it is, then there is seriously trouble likely brewing. I kind of don't like police and they are very intrusive and if something HAS happened to her, I don't want to be linked to it. Everyone can't stand her and there would be motives for people to harm her.

But it's been about a week since anybody has seen her or heard from her, which is unusual... so I'll call police today to see if I can check up on her.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Hopefully it isn't a cruciate tear they will do the drawer test which means they flex the leg and sort of push it up and down. Although saying that the vet did this to Dillon and in the end it wasn't the problem. You could visibly see the next day Dillon toe on his rear paw had sort of separated away so when he stood on it it wasn't tight next to the next digit. I sent photos to his breeder who had already said in a 6 month old pup cruciate damage was not likely. But did say return him to the vet re: his toe as it looked like a fracture but she wouldn't listen to us really we should of got a second opinion but he was already booked into the vet school and they won't see you without a referral.
It could just be he has come down hard and jarred something and hopefully with rest may take a day or two he will be back to normal.

Rose I wasn't suggesting any prodding or poking you can check toes gently and feel if anything feels different and the way Dillon's was you could see it anyway. The towel or sheet is only to be used to allow him to go outside to the toilet when he needs or if he wants to move somewhere different or to stand and eat I am sure Myra knows it isn't to keep him moving unnecessarily or for exercise.
Big dogs find this a more comfortable way of being allowed to go about their business it makes it easier on them as it takes the weight off the poorly leg and it also eases the strain on the human.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm worried about her, and yesterday I asked my parents, and a few other neighbors if they had seen her... and all answered no. I have left notes on her door and have called her and emailed her, no response.

She is a nasty woman and neither my parents nor the other neighbors care enough about her to do anything to possibly help her. Her kids also abandoned her long ago. I'm the only one that is even remotely worried, nobody else cared and they were all like "Well now that you say it..." because they did not care enough to notice she's been gone!

I will call police later today and file a report. I need to try and see if her car is inside her garage. If it is, then there is seriously trouble likely brewing. I kind of don't like police and they are very intrusive and if something HAS happened to her, I don't want to be linked to it. Everyone can't stand her and there would be motives for people to harm her.

But it's been about a week since anybody has seen her or heard from her, which is unusual... so I'll call police today to see if I can check up on her.

This is one of the most offensive posts I have ever read frankly. Please God that one day you are not sick or injured or in trouble and needing help and someone reacts as you are doing!

Logging off and not coming back today; praying for you and for her. Please don't bother to respond to this as I will not read any more from you on this

Shocking attitude.. if these folk here who have been threatening and damaging me and endangering me were in need I would help get help for them.

Regardless of that they have done to me or anyone they are human and in need.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Yes Lynn. Nigredo is a big guy... not as big as Dillon, but he's a solid 85 lbs and moving him without him walking is going to be VERY HARD. The sheet will help him when he has to go out and potty. I'm going to try and keep him off the stairs, as it's very hard for him to go up in his condition, anyway.

He's not putting ANY weight on his right leg and his left leg is mildly dysplastic. Taking that extra pressure off is very useful for him if he has to move about. He's going to be getting no exercise, he is refusing to walk at all for the moment.

I won't dare force him. He will be allowed to rest as much as he needs, and if he's not better by tomorrow... he will be traveling 30 miles to see the vet. Jade was crying upstairs so my brother let her out and she came to harass Nigredo again so have to crate her for the time being unfortunately. She is very distressed about the entire thing, as well.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Move the sheet or towel down towards his back end if you can so it kind of takes the weight off his hind legs as much as possible when he needs to go out. He will need to put them down to some extent but it kind of takes some of the pressure off for him.
Rest is good you never know by tomorrow he may be easier on it fingers crossed.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Oh, wow. I think that is overkill RoseBud. I did take me a bit to realize that indeed I have not seen her, and yesterday when I asked people, they said they have not seen her either. I did not see her this morning and I WILL call police to check on her house, like I said.

You don't know me, my situation, or my possible motives for feeling the way that I do. Over the years, this woman has killed one of my dogs, has physically attacked my small mother, has made horrible and racist comments towards me, has called police on us countless times (for no reason), and has caused me more strife than anybody could ever imagine.

I'm the only person that cares about this woman in the entire world! Her kids and mother don't even care about her. I'm trying to deal with everything at once and it's not easy.

My dog is badly hurt and I'm having a tough morning, so please don't give me a hard time. This isn't helping anybody, so I'm going to sign off, as well.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »