Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
raw green tripe is very good for helping to put on weight (but is also very nutricious)
yeah, she loves tripe and has it a lot, but I think she is how she is supposed to be (although I think she would look better with a couple of kilos more on her). Maybe she'll gain more as she gets older.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
yeah, she loves tripe and has it a lot, but I think she is how she is supposed to be (although I think she would look better with a couple of kilos more on her). Maybe she'll gain more as she gets older.
As you say... She might just be a slender dog.

Harley eats more than Jess, but he is really hard to keep/put weight on, but he isn't even two yet, so I'm sure when he gets a little older, he'll fill out.

So long as your beaut is happy, healthy and eating well, I wouldn't really worry if she is a little lean. Better to be lean with big dogs IMO rather than tubby because of the stress on joints.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
see i tried going off the guide for raw meat and weight and mine should be getting 125g a day. asbo has easily double that, and is no way fat or porky.

daphni has the same ammount, but i have noticed she is just a little bit on the porky side, she doesnt look it, but she has quite a bit of fat over her ris, so think i may cut hers down a bit. but my 2 need more than their 2-3% body weight.
And yet Isla, who weighs 18kg, only needs 170g a day to stay the right weight!
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

13-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I dont follow a set menu but it goes a little like this:

Monday: Chicken mince / chicken carcuss
Tuesday: beef mince / beef mince
Wednesday: tripe / duck necks
thursday: duck mince / beef chunks
friday: turkey mince / turkey mince
saturday: pilchards / lamb ribs
sunday: chicken mince / chicken wings

Also have eggs a couple of times a week plus veg as and when we do it so do extra for the dogs, plus the bananas that are going over (the boys love them).

As to weight of food its as follows:

JC - weighs about 16.5kg but only gets about 290g a day
Kai - weighs about 18.9kg and gets about 350g a day
Wren - weighs about 15kg and gets about 330g a day

Kai and Wren both compete in agility and Wren trains about twice a week. It has pretty much been trial and error but four months on I think we are pretty much there.

In addition they get salmon oil a couple of days a week and also joint aid everyday.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I buy frozen pound bags of minced up (bone, skin, meat) chicken, beef and tripe
Only Bailey will eat Kidney and Liver - he also loves raw carrot!!!

The other two get cooked veg mixed in a couple of times a week and bones 2-3 days a week. Oh and a full sunday roast (leftovers) but I do do extra yorkshire puds for em as a treat!!!

None of them will touch fish!! So they get a very small quantity of kibble for breakfast and meat / bones for dinner.
Petra
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Thanks all. I read that a growing pup should eat 10% of their body weight in food per day. There's no way Keiko will eat all that. She does stop when she's full. She's about 19 weeks now and weighed 20kgs two weeks ago, she's eating around 1kg of meat a day and can't actually eat any more than that. Does 10% seem excessive to anyone else? She'd be eating over 2kgs of meat per day. I've never worked out quantities before with the Estrelas as they don't overeat, but I guess I'll have to with Keiko, being a bit more foody.

What quantities do you guys feed, in percentages? I've figured out my lot, a Rio is eating about 2% on a good day, Dan just over 1% (any more makes him tubby) and Rogue just over 2%.
Hi, we have just got a leo pup - he is 9 1/2 weeks old and about 11kg. He is currently eating approx 1.4kg meat a day over 4 meals, with no trouble. It won't be too long before he is up to 2kg meat a day.
We were advised on 10% of weight per day by the breeder, which is fine, and he is doing very well on it, but yes, it does seem like a lot, when our other dogs are eating WAY less than this (and he still finishes before them!!!).
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 02:38 PM
All interesting stuff.
I don't do RMB, more BARF and am totally new to it.
Mine get..
chicken and tripe mince or turkey mince each day for breakfast or dinner, along with it they have a variety of fruit and veg blended and more often than not some partially cooked oats. For their other meal, it will be hearts or chicken wings/backs , going to introduce liver very soon too...again with veg and partially cooked oats. I vary the veg and am trying to vary the meat. They love veg a LOT and fruit so there is no problem with them eating it. I also give Tango glucosamine and chrondontin and they both have Omega 3:6: 9 and a superdong multivitamin/mineral tablet, both from Higher Nature. They have also had a knuckle bone from the butchers. Twice a week they get either sardine or mackerel as one of their meals and I always mix in a raw egg (plus broken up shell) with it.
I know the oats are controversial but it's working for us so far.
I feed them around 200g mince,100g oats, 200g veg and 200-300g chicken wings or necks (it varies) each day. Cosmo gets sligghtly more of things than Tango as she tends to keep weight on. At the minute I am aiming for about 600g a day which is the minimum they need to be fed, but so far they are fine on that, but I will tweak it accordingly. Initially they were having 400g mince each, each day and they were starting to keep weight on....

As I say early days yet but so far I am impressed with the results.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3