Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Actually instead of spending one thousand pounds sterling to take your pet to the UK, I would, and did, give that amount of money to someone who needed it it.

What gives you, Tang, the right to start a thread that makes you sound out that you are so special and so much better than anyone else.

Blimey calm down Malka, we all have the right to our point of view and we don't have to agree with anything anyone says just don't take it personally.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Deleted...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2013, 12:35 PM
And what right has she to ask who can afford to get a dog?
It's a debate.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2013, 12:41 PM
As for making it more difficult for people to acquire a dog in the first place, I disagree with that too. No one tells us we're suitable to be parents so why should we jump through hoops to have a dog. Most owners have the best intentions when they acquire a dog, sh*t sometimes happens in life, such as redundancy, illness, death, divorce etc etc and those good intentions may go out of the window for any of us. No amount of vetting could forsee the future and are we to live in a land where dog ownership is a luxury for only the financial secure elite. If so I'll dig out me passport pretty nifty is all I can say.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 01:41 PM
The only thing I considered when deciding on whether to have a dog was would my cat be ok. As was said earlier, if I'd considered money I wouldn't have had kids never mind pets.
I had insurance but cancelled because the only time I claimed they wouldn't pay out because they don't do 'eyes'
I knew my house and garden are safe, and she would be fed and loved.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2013, 02:19 PM
It is nobody's business whether I can or cannot afford to "get" a dog.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Good question Tang. And I think one we should all ask ourselves before getting a dog.

However, if you're anything like me, you will never be in a perfect position - unless you are a millionaire and blessed with lots of other things too, which reach far beyond just being able to afford a dog.

I'd want to feed a species appropriate organic diet. I'd want our own woods. I'd want the best insurance. I'd want to be able to work less to spend more time with my dog. I'd want my own perfect health. I'd want a perfect breeding. I'd want to be intelligent enough to train my dog perfectly. I'd want more patience. Etc etc

So as you can see, it will never be perfect - sometimes you just have to do the best you can, and accept that life isn't always plain sailing. As long as you have thought about things thoroughly, sometimes your best is good enough... even if it's not perfect. Love, caring and understanding makes up for a lot.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Someties you just cope in the best way you can.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 02:38 PM
That's so true and luckily our dogs are not aware of designer branding etc as long as we love them and feed them they don't actually ask for anything else.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Actually instead of spending one thousand pounds sterling to take your pet to the UK, I would, and did, give that amount of money to someone who needed it it.

What gives you, Tang, the right to start a thread that makes you sound out that you are so special and so much better than anyone else.
Where did that particular piece of nastiness come from?

Geezus I tried to think of a subject matter that would be good to be up for debate.

And I've already said this is not about who spends MORE on their dog than others. More about whether people THINKING of getting a dog should be more aware of the cost other than initial purchase and feeding.

As for what I spend my money on - NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS! As for why I took my dog to UK with me it's because I couldn't BEAR to be parted from her for that long. I missed her sorely even for the three weeks I was gone for this time and would have flown her if her rabies booster was up to date and stayed longer.

As for what gives ME the right to START ANY THREAD. It's because I can - same as anyone else can (and I don't start many!) and AZZ was asking for some ideas too.

You are WELL OUT OF ORDER lady!
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »