Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
So you have to be able to drive to get the job?
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Even if it's not required, the application form states that "Please note: There's no public transportation anywhere near the centre and to work at the rescue without your own vehicle, or personal means of transportation would cause you difficulties." so a non-driver may struggle.
It also says "You need to be at least 25 years old so our commercial insurance will cover you to drive our van." on the application form, but perhaps that particular vacancy does not require a driver, its not too clear.

Although I'm not sure I would like to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no car
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
X-clo - If you want to work in an office, why not get some typing qualifications and apply to solicitors. You used to be able to do a Legal Secretary's course, which was full time for a year at college, and lawyers are always after decent secretarial staff.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
X-clo - If you want to work in an office, why not get some typing qualifications and apply to solicitors. You used to be able to do a Legal Secretary's course, which was full time for a year at college, and lawyers are always after decent secretarial staff.
thanks for that. ive got my GCSE in ICT and ive looked at jobs online. they say needs 60wpm. i type pretty quickly anyway, and being on here means i get alot of practice i can type without looking at the keyboard now
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I think a job in Tesco would be a good idea. They seem to be taking over the world.
At least they don't sell puppies. (Yet) LOL

Tow your caravan up Chloe and see if they will let you live in a field.
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
I would love a job like that but, they never pay enough. Hence I am stuck in an office.
I don't think people work in that type of job for the money a lot of people do it to help the animals, as they deal with a lot of dogs that have been treated barbarically I am a Dog Vetter for them but couldn't work at the kennels as it would break my heart, as a lot of these dogs are ex-breeders that come in from puppy farms, etc., and the condition they are in sometimes, is gruesome. Poor things.
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by mummysnoo View Post
I don't think people work in that type of job for the money a lot of people do it to help the animals, as they deal with a lot of dogs that have been treated barbarically

Even people who want to help animals generally need to pay their bills.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
it's a rare job, and if you really want to work in animal rescue go for it.
I got my dream job last year when i got offered a job in the animal rescue i have been volunteering at for over four years. The pay is not great in most rescue jobs, but they have to pay minimum wage legally. To be quite honest, you will get about the same working in a rescue as you would in a lot of retail jobs. Lots of people can manage with an income working in "tesco-land" so i'm sure at a push you could live off a full time minium wage. It will be hard, but cost of living in some areas of wales are lower than some parts of england.

I will be up front and honest and admit that working with animals is not for everybody. Sometimes you have days which are unbelievable and you look up at the sky and think... wow i'm actually working here. Other days, when hard decisions have to be made, or if animals are very ill it can all turn around. We were recently hand rearing a little kitten which was having feeding difficulties and after the little fighter fought for just over a week, she sadly passed away.
You try not to get attatched, but you just can't stop yourself half of the time. However... that tiny moment, when the aggressive german shepherd makes eye contact with you instead of barking at the guy with the hat on, or the moment that a shy dog comes around and lays its head on your lap.... it really makes it all worth while.

Hands down.. i would say give it a go. What harm could come of it? If not... write down on a piece of paper the pros and cons of going for the job. I.E if you have to move, financial concerns, etc.

Hope this has helped.

Our rescue has worked with Many Tears and they really work endlessly to save the lives of dogs and find them new homes. The people on the many tears team who i have met in person have seemed really nice caring people, who know the dogs inside out. All in all, a rare job at a great rescue.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Aww! I think Many Tears are a fabulous rescue.

Must admit, the pay is so rubbish in such jobs that i think anyone is better off getting a more well paid career in something else, albeit less rewarding, and doing such work voluntarily!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
LOL, in other words they are anti breeder!
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Really...didnt think they were given the amount of dogs they take from breeders!
I'm afraid they are - they will not rehome to anyone with entire animals. Even if it was a neutered cat going into a home with entire dogs! I did ask why they had such a restrictive policy, their answer was: everyone who keeps entire animals is irresponsible as it will lead to accidental litters.

As a family we've always had at least one entire dog and we've never managed to produce an accidental litter.......

I'm sure they do excellent work, but such a statement is just a tiny bit ridiculous imo! Just because you keep un-neutered animals does not make you automatically irresponsible and therefore responsible for all the PF'd and BYB litters that need rescuing!

Sorry, off topic I know, I shall leave it there to get back on topic!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Aww! I think Many Tears are a fabulous rescue.

Must admit, the pay is so rubbish in such jobs that i think anyone is better off getting a more well paid career in something else, albeit less rewarding, and doing such work voluntarily!
I would've loved to have become a VN but the pay is pants, or at least it was when I looked into it many years ago. Can't imagine it will have changed much since?

Doing a job you love is great, but realistically you have to pay the bills and in this day and age you need a decent wage to do this imo.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >