Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by MyBostonBoy View Post
Well everyone I think this needs to stop. We need to agree that we are all different and therefore the way we think is different.

Lots of people declaw their cats. If you don't feel that is humane, all you can do is educate people and explain in a neutral manner why you think that. Going around telling people such as myself that I am a cruel and irresponsible cat owner because I declawed my cat is NOT the best way to teach me. It makes me lean more towards my side of the debate. It doesn't do you a bit of good to say such things to someone who doesn't share your opinions. It makes it worse.

Thank you to those of you who offered advice for my little dog. I appreciate it!
Yes, we have different views around the world on many things, but that does not mean , those who disagree with them cant voice their opinion.

And on such a practice as declawing a cat , the opinions are going to be emotive.

Lots of people may declaw cats in the US, but as this is mostly a UK forum, you are going to be in an extremely small minority , holding the view it is OK to mutilate an cat for no other reason that it might scratch your children or furniture, is not going to sit well with most people.

Where did we say you are cruel or irresponsible... those are your words.

A barbaric practice and mutilation are the words I used,which it is....you will have to remember such practices are banned here, and for good reason...so no amount of explanation from those who think it is OK, will "EDUCATE" us round to your way of thinking.

A cats claws are a fundamental part of his body, they are there for a reason, those being defence and balance, along with scratching and helping them to pounce.......all integral behaviours of a cat... you take away their claws and you are taking away their basic instincts.

Ofcause they scratch thats what they do, they NEED to scratch to maintain good body posture, muscle stretching and simply well being for life.

You can redirect your cats need to scratch by placing a few scratch poles around your home.

Cats and Children and dogs , have survived in the same household for hundreds of yrs, without any need to take away there basic tools for survival.

By removing your cats claws, is almost like saying.

I (parent) will have all my finger nails removed by surgery.. just incase I accidentally scratch my new baby

You have also taken away the only defence she has of defending herself against your dog
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
this confused me, as i thought i basically said the same thing?
Sorry I didnt see it that way, I thought you were generalising about what people do here with their Cats.

Indoor Cats are not unusual in the UK, in fact its massively "up" now, and almost all breeders and exhibitors of Cat will not allow them to roam.

In America, they even have cat day care centres when people go to work, and these centres prefer your cats declawed.
But in America, they also debark dogs and crate them 9 to 5, again to meet human lifestyle requirements
This sort of generalisation I meant, I expect that crating dogs 9-5 is not "normal" in the US but does happen, as I know it does here too.
MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Okay everyone, please forgive me, my goodness! I realize I am in the minority here. But please instead of being so judgemental to the next person who comes along with a declawed cat, please try to be more educational! I know you are trying to teach me what you believe, but I have taken offense by it and have not been convinced at all. Please leave me alone about the subject. Perhaps in the future I will think about it before I declaw a cat. Maybe I still will! Please just let it go.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Okay everyone, please forgive me, my goodness! I realize I am in the minority here. But please instead of being so judgemental to the next person who comes along with a declawed cat, please try to be more educational! I know you are trying to teach me what you believe, but I have taken offense by it and have not been convinced at all. Please leave me alone about the subject. Perhaps in the future I will think about it before I declaw a cat. Maybe I still will! Please just let it go.
Bit late for your poor Cat isnt it!! Your VET should of been a bit more educational!

Im sorry you feel offended, but declawing is illegal and very very cruel and unesessary, its not a go at you personally, it was your blasé attitude to doing it that annoyed me personally. Stating rubbish like she was tearing things up and the baby might have scratches on his face if she had claws, NO, if you had provided the correct environment for your Cat by way of suitable toys, enrichment etc... there would be NO need for removing her claws, the very things that cats need to comunicate and function.

I apologise if I offended you, but my opinion on declawing stands.
MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Bit late for your poor Cat isnt it!! Your VET should of been a bit more educational!

Im sorry you feel offended, but declawing is illegal and very very cruel and unesessary, its not a go at you personally, it was your blasé attitude to doing it that annoyed me personally. Stating rubbish like she was tearing things up and the baby might have scratches on his face if she had claws, NO, if you had provided the correct environment for your Cat by way of suitable toys, enrichment etc... there would be NO need for removing her claws, the very things that cats need to comunicate and function.

I apologise if I offended you, but my opinion on declawing stands.
As does mine.

I just want you to understand that I am not a cruel person. I love my animals very much. I had no intention to mutilate my cat. As it is a common practice here in the US, I had no reason to think it harmful.

I'm asking this out of seriousness. Have you ever seen or met a de-clawed cat? Mine is very happy and very healthy. If you were to compare her a cat who has claws you would see no difference. She jumps onto things I myself can't even reach. She plays with her toys and she even catches mice. She is perfect. She is a princess.

I'm sorry we have all rubbed the wrong way, I had no intention of this turning into a debate.

I guess I should say that Harlem is doing very well still. He is wanting to smell Socks and get to know her rather than chasing her. I think before long they will be playing together and sleeping together. I bet they will be life long friends.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I have no doubt at all that you are a very caring owner and that you do love your Pets, I never doubted that.

Ive seen much evidence of the physical and psychological damage declawing can do in big and domestic Cats, I cant have seen one as its illegal here and as far as Im aware always has been.
MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2009, 11:59 AM
What does it really do? I'm very curious to know the physical and psychological damage that is done. My kitty seems to be fine, I'm just wondering what it has done to other cats that have been declawed. Do you have any websites that have some information?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the links. I read through them and I understand your point of view. It is a serious surgery, no denying that. It says that it is very painful. I believe that, don't get me wrong. But how do you explain the surgery performed when a dog or cat is spayed or neutered? Doesn't that cause pain? I know that kind of surgery is very, very important. But both surgeries have a long recovery period. I had my baby naturally, but I'm sure any woman who has given birth by c-section would agree that the recovery is very painful. As is a spay surgery. I am 100% pro spay/neutering, but I'm just comparing. What do you think?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the links. I read through them and I understand your point of view. It is a serious surgery, no denying that. It says that it is very painful. I believe that, don't get me wrong. But how do you explain the surgery performed when a dog or cat is spayed or neutered? Doesn't that cause pain? I know that kind of surgery is very, very important. But both surgeries have a long recovery period. I had my baby naturally, but I'm sure any woman who has given birth by c-section would agree that the recovery is very painful. As is a spay surgery. I am 100% pro spay/neutering, but I'm just comparing. What do you think?
I have had a c-section and yes the recovery is long and sometimes painful

Also had dogs neutered and spayed, the the recovery rate is nowhere the same, a dog male bounces back within a few days, a bitch a little longer , but by no means the same as a human.

Do they feel the same amount of discomfort... I dont know, as they cant talk..

Comparing spay and neuter to declawing is poles apart, one is done for health and population control the other from what I can see is nothing more than a convenience.. there is no possible benifit to a cat to have his claws removed

The only benifit is to the owner, ensuring no destructive behaviour is done in the home....which to me is NOT a reason to mutilate an animal.

If one is worried about a cat scratching, why get a cat.

What about your dog, do you worry over him chewing things he should`nt, what if he accidentally scratches your baby or catches him with his teeth, would you consider the removal of his nails or teeth, in the off chance this happened
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >