View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2008, 11:35 AM
i'm the other way round with buster if he is in the house he's a nervous wreck and climbing the walls if he's outside he loves them just hope bert is the same he hasn't showed any fear with the few we have heard so fingers crossed we ended up taking buster to a local pub firework display last year just so he would be settled he's still the talk of the village as he sat there and watched everyone go up and back down lol all the kids that where there had got bored and gone inside he made me sit and watch every one lol
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Maybe worth trying a DAP diffuser of DAP collar to help with the stress?
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks so much for your stories and advice. I think i may try a DAP diffuser to help him through it. Last year i think it was on The One Show they did an article on how to calm dogs that hate fireworks. One of the suggestions was to put an old tshirt on your dog and then kind of bandage then up with a long elasctic bandage!! I think it was supposed to have a kind of swaddling effect and make them feel secure.....tried it.....he liked the fuss and attention......looked a real wally bless him.......but didn't really take his symptons away. (panting, pacing, drooling, shaking like a leaf and leaning his full body weight on me!!)
I also bought one of those firework therapy cd's but i don't have the heart to put it on!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I also bought one of those firework therapy cd's but i don't have the heart to put it on!!
I have these for club members... you should try putting it on at a very low volume... then work it up a bit.. some people say they help some say they dont..
Petra
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I am expecting the same problem with my leonberger.
I have booked the week off work, so that I can do the dog walks soley in the morning, and we can stay in after 4pm.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 11:02 AM
We've stopped walking our foster dog after about 5pm because she is terrified of fireworks. It's just not worth putting her through it and should only be for a few weeks.

I think as long as they get at least one other walk in the day it's ok.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 04:27 PM
This is Ben's first year so I don't know how he will react at all. Soon find out I guess. Hope they don;t scare him
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 07:56 PM
feel for you ,we are in the same position ,with dylan ,willow couldnt care less ,last year got some of the anxiety stuff (you must be jokeing ,no help at all ) i all ways feel ,stressed for him ,his pupils in his eyes are large ,this boy is so scared . what i do is ,let him tell me , i watch him ,as soon as he looks all up set .he starts not wonting to get out ,the car ,i just drop him off at my moms ,just take willow . i hate watching his face as ,we walk away ,but he wont budge . last year we took ,him to sutton park , we were ina right mess ,he kept trying to bolt ,the fire works ,we thought ,had stopped (no they hadnot ) it takes him ages to get over it .im dreading it ,we make him den and put radio inside . i wish they could just do it for one night only
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3