Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
x-clo-x : my daughter's chihuahua would do around 5 miles a day, same as our 2 elephants - weighing in at around 45/48 kilos!

He used to ride in the back of the Audi with the big boys, and every now and then you would hear a shriek followed by a snarl because one or both of them had stepped on him by mistake! He did get bowled over, stepped on and generally squashed from time to time, but he is a feisty little devil and bounced back. It did the big guys good to learn to be less clumsy, and did the little guy good to be regularly squashed because he is so arsey!!
thats what i mean, the small dogs will go just as far as the big dogs, they are dogs after all, its when you get people babying them that things go wrong, i like my littleuns but want a big dog next, i dont plan on changing anything i do now. i walk my two small ones for an hour and half a day, somehow i think a big dog will cope just fine with that
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
And to answer your question about walks and such. Oliver gets alot of one on one walks as the other 4 are alot less enthusiastic about walks. Scout and Zoe want one lap around the park, but Ollie could go 15 times Mouse doesn't get walked much at all, though she often accompanies us in my back pack. Boo likes to walk, though he tires alot faster than Ollie.

I often take Ollie for a run with the bike too... and I put a basket on the front for Mouse to come with
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thats what i mean, the small dogs will go just as far as the big dogs, they are dogs after all, its when you get people babying them that things go wrong, i like my littleuns but want a big dog next, i dont plan on changing anything i do now. i walk my two small ones for an hour and half a day, somehow i think a big dog will cope just fine with that

I have never hankered after a small dog, apart from a border terrier, but having had Gucci live with us a few months, my mind has truly be turned to appreciate the feistiness of small dogs provided you treat them correctly. If you baby them and dress them up in clothes, then you can expect the worst!

You sound like the perfect owner for both small and large! As you say, they are all dogs, they have no concept of size. Both Ben and Tai would back off when Gucci growled at them!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone!
No Alfie is not "delicate" at all, and he seems to think he is a lot bigger than he is
As Alfie is 12 months now I have been taking him further and he does actually cope with long distance walks...

Hmm.. this is looking promising
Well....apart from the fact I won't be able to get a bigger dog until I move out.

Normally when I take Alfie with larger dogs, they end up covering about 5 times the ground he does

I don't baby him at all really, even the time he got attacked I lifted him away from it, checked him, and put him down and carried on as normal and he still loves other dogs

ETA: He has been playing with next doors labrador since he was 12 weeks old, so he is wise about playing with bigger dogs, but occasionally does get rolled on a bit - not that it stops him!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I have a Rottie called Marius & French Bulldog called Lola, they are best buds totally. Marius is very good with Lola and is a naturally gentle boy - it's Lola who is most likely to play rough and get too boisterous! As you will see from the pics below, it is her who is the bossiest

Purremmup!!

As for walks, I often walk them together they love to have a good play. She's very fit and loves to run after the frisbee. If I am going on a fell-hike though, it's just me & Marius. That would be too far to take her, they aren't built for that kind of walking distance.

kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Awww brilliant pics!! Thanks
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I have a Rottie called Marius & French Bulldog called Lola, they are best buds totally. Marius is very good with Lola and is a naturally gentle boy - it's Lola who is most likely to play rough and get too boisterous! As you will see from the pics below, it is her who is the bossiest

Purremmup!!

As for walks, I often walk them together they love to have a good play. She's very fit and loves to run after the frisbee. If I am going on a fell-hike though, it's just me & Marius. That would be too far to take her, they aren't built for that kind of walking distance.

i love marius and lola maybe lola a smidge more, she sounds like my kinda girl
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I know it works well for many people and the dogs get along fine BUT if they don't you can't let them sort it out at all as the size difference makes it too dangerous.
As someone already said, this isn't a size thing. I had the misfortunate of having two bitches (same breed and size) who fell out and we rehomed one because they would've ripped each other to shreds. Two smaller dogs could still do each other a fair amount of harm if they fell out too I imagine - yes, their teeth are smaller and maybe less powerful but the rest of them is smaller and not as strong either.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
There they are! I was wondering if you'd post pics of my fav. duo! they are a perfect example of large/small!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

Purremmup!!

Lovely pictures!! What GORGEOUS dogs!! The size of Lola's teeth is scarey!! Your rottie looks so gentle
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >