View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Looks like a nice lock, Catrin. If he can get through that, you need to have his IQ taken because he is the smartest dog in the world. Glad Remus is feeling better. Dogs previous history CAN scar them for life... and people have the audacity to tell lies and say dogs don't have extended memories.

The diarrhea will dissipate, given enough time. He just has to get all that extra nutrition out of his system, and then he'll be fine. BTW, how did you know that he was starved? Did he look starved when you got him?

I adopted a cat that was rail skinny, had been burned with matches or something, and had been shot with a BB gun in both of her sides. You knew it was intentional because the BB's were in the same places on opposite sides of the cat. Someone likely held her still and someone else used her for target practice

She would not put her feet in the grass at all when we got her... meaning she'd been caged or something her whole life. She quickly outgrew that by looking at our other cat. Now, she's not scared of people, of fire or matches, or of my brother's BB gun. She's also not overly greedy. She's a wonderful little cat.

Sometimes, I have heard that it takes a long time for animals to grow out of that stuff. You know, the claims that once they realize they are no longer in that environment... they'll realize their actions aren't needed anymore.

It seems that Remus still strongly remembers not getting enough food, and it's sad... because if he remembers it that well.. surely, like people, it is probably a little scary to him.

Maybe one day he'll wake up one morning with Tonks and decide that being super greedy is useless because his mommy feeds him well! And he'll never make the effort to steal everything again.

We can always hope, right?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 07:03 PM
It's sad isn't it Myra.

Somehow a vet nurse got to hear of him and, I'm not quite sure how it happened, but him and his brother were surrendered to her and they were malnourished at 12 weeks.They had been abandoned in a delicate caravan. The owner was traced somehow and banned from keeping animals. He was then moved through a couple of short term foster homes until he came across a few counties and fostered in our small town. Then I adopted him when he was 21ish weeks.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
What would be great would be if they had in the UK what they have here in Cyprus. Many fridges and freezers come with just an ordinary lock on them (like you have on your front door) I think it's because lots of people will keep a fridge out on a verandah. So easy too just turn the key. And you can leave the key in it - dog might be clever but without an opposing thumb I think they'd find it difficult to use a yale key lock!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I see, Catrin. Well, perhaps you can take solace in the fact that he was found and he got a second chance. We both know all too well that not all dogs do
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3