View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Never used coconut oil but do add a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil into their food each day which makes their coats shiny.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I thought it was palm oil that was causing a lot of issues environmentally?

Anyhoo, havent used it on dogs but my friend is currently feeding it to her horse as he has an important show coming up and she says it has made a big diff to his coat.
So did I DM ...
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I hate to say it, but I think Labman might actually be right with his "saturated fat" theory with this coconut oil, because I remember getting my diet sheet from the hospital after I had heart surgery, and coconut was up high on my long list of definite no-no's as it is classed as saturated fat, whereas Olive Oil I can drink by the gallon!

I don't think I'll be using it for my dogs, I'm sticking with salmon oil.
Hi Helena as I understand it not all saturated fats are bad just as not all kinds of cholesterol are bad.
I understand correctly processed coconut oil can be beneficial to health..

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm

Regardless of the condition, recovery requires good nutrition. Food scientists have long noted the nutritional benefits of medium-chain triglycerides. MCT from coconut oil are used in hospital formulas to feed the very young, the critically ill, and those who have digestive problems. It makes up a vital part of the solutions fed to patients intravenously or through a tube inserted down the throat. If you were ever given formula as a baby you took advantage of the health-promoting properties of coconut oil. MCT from coconut oil have been added to baby formula for decades.
I can't vouch for the authenticity of the website . I too would prefer salmon oil
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Palm trees come in date palms, coconut palms and maybe others.

I did some checking and the American Heart Association recommends limiting all saturated fats.

Now who funds the coconut Oil Research center?
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3