View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I wasnt going to try and get Jed to learn something new, was going to try him doing simple things he already knows like a paw wave and I know the reward has to be high. I realise he wouldnt be able to learn whilst he was in a state of worry and fear.

He isnt afraid of fireworks, he's always been totally calm whilst he's in the house and even in the garden.

It's a difficult one with Jed because he isnt a dog who likes fuss, he isnt overly interested in toys whilst out and about, he doesnt like to be groomed but he does like edible treats so thats about my only option really.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh this thread is so interesting, but I do know how awful it is to have a dog that is sensitive to bird scarers/fireworks....whatever that makes a bang.

Fortunately, our present dog is totally unmoved by gunfire; birdscarers or fireworks, however I am not going to be complacent because our last dog was the same until something triggered a reaction in her brain. I have no idea what it was. Perhaps she sensed my anxiety because our previous dog was terrified of all things explosive, and eventually reacted to my own subconscious fears that history would repeat itself? I can think of no other logical explanation.

I have to say that with those two previous dogs, nothing short of a general anaesthetic would stop the terror because they were way beyond the reach of distraction techniques or anything else.

I do hope that you find a solution to the problem, because living in the countryside it is hard to find a peaceful window without either shooting or birdscarers - even the crackling of a log fire can be a problem. I was thrilled when our local farmer decided to use one of those multi-sound thingies instead of a triple banger. The dogs were fine, but the horses were terrified...........all those roaring lions and monkies!!! You can't win!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3