Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
You rarely hear of a cat killing a dog, but boy do they sometimes ask to be attacked by dogs. .
Agree.. In fact I could have strangled the 3 cats out side my drive this morning myself.. ohh wait sounded like someone already was
Dogs are expected to make no step out of line, and god for bid they do.. Cats well they live as they please.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:57 PM
You get endless threads about how you're working out X dog's reactivity toward dogs, about how you're trying to work to ensure that your dog doesn't go ballistic when confronted with little old ladies carrying polka dot newspapers... yet it's deemed perfectly acceptable for you to have a dog that will rip another person's beloved pet limb from limb.
Actually, I don't think it's acceptable at all and take reasonable measures to ensure my dog doesn't do it again. I can get him to accept individual animals if I spend a long time working on it but it doesn't generalise to the strange cat, rabbit, rat, bird or whatever that he meets on a walk. He's muzzled when off leash in the one secure area he can be let off in, he's not out in the garden alone and I check for small furry (or prickly) creatures before letting him out there.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:01 PM
No........not saying that. Just that it seems there is one rule for cats and one for dogs; i.e. it is fine for cats to do what they will because they cannot be controlled, but just let a dog step out of line and all the cat owners jump up and down in a hissy fit.

You rarely hear of a cat killing a dog, but boy do they sometimes ask to be attacked by dogs. I would find it hard to blame the dog in these circumstances.
LOL - how is that then?

I love how those who are making negative comments on cats don't actually own cats and have dogs that are 'would be' cat killers.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Agree.. In fact I could have strangled the 3 cats out side my drive this morning myself.. ohh wait sounded like someone already was
Dogs are expected to make no step out of line, and god for bid they do.. Cats well they live as they please.
And good for them - I want to come back as a cat in the next life! they are nothing like dogs and can't be compared in any way, shape or form. When was the last time a cat killed a person or a dog?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
And good for them - I want to come back as a cat in the next life! they are nothing like dogs and can't be compared in any way, shape or form. When was the last time a cat killed a person or a dog?
Couldnt tell you - although my cats have caused more damage to me than my dogs would ever do...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:07 PM
cat scratch fever...fatal if not treated promptly.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:07 PM
LOL - how is that then?

I love how those who are making negative comments on cats don't actually own cats and have dogs that are 'would be' cat killers.
We have two cats who regularly come into our garden, which is surrounded by a six foot brick wall. They come in via the garage roof, and it is not easy for them to escape........yet they persist. Jimmi has chased them endlessly, sometimes he is within an inch of their tails. Still they come in. You ask why I say that they ask to be attacked? Because they know that there is a cat hater in this garden and yet they STILL wander around it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:14 PM
We have two cats who regularly come into our garden, which is surrounded by a six foot brick wall. They come in via the garage roof, and it is not easy for them to escape........yet they persist. Jimmi has chased them endlessly, sometimes he is within an inch of their tails. Still they come in. You ask why I say that they ask to be attacked? Because they know that there is a cat hater in this garden and yet they STILL wander around it.
They are not 'asking' to be attacked...they are cats and cats roam. Not all cats are afraid of dogs. Your garden could be part of the cats perceived territory. Don't assume the cats 'know' they are risking getting attacked by your dog...they don't know!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:17 PM
They are not 'asking' to be attacked...they are cats and cats roam. Not all cats are afraid of dogs. Your garden could be part of the cats perceived territory. Don't assume the cats 'know' they are risking getting attacked by your dog...they don't know!
i would say it did(after the first time)....but doesn't care

i dont think anything 'asks' to be attacked.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Okay........no animal is asking to be attacked, that was poor phraseology. However, you have just said that our garden could be part of the cats perceived territory........that may be so, but it is NOT their territory, it is my dog's territory. I was assuming that the cats know they will risk attack from our dog because it has happened umpteen times. On one occasion recently the cat ended up at the top of a tree, with our dog half way up the same tree! You cannot tell me that cat's memories are so poor that they don't remember being chased every time they come into a certain garden?
Page 29 of 56 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 > Last »