Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
I think the sad fact is that there are dog owners out there who will not stand up and be counted because it is not their breed at risk (currently!). What's even sadder is that if it ever comes to their breed being banned, those of us who did stand up will continue to do so for their dogs too. It's sad because those people will stand and watch our dogs get put down for no reason other than looks (and some extremists will vocally support the dog equivalent of ethnic cleansing, like suze), but when it comes to the time when their breed is threatened, only then will they see the light.

so you own a pit bull then???
so its not your breed is it?

collies will never be on the DDA list - because they are not as dangerous as pitbulls - if you say they are - why arnt they on it now - and rotties - and every other breed that has attacked

because pitbulls are nasty pieces of work - end of
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Suze, you seem so anti pit bull, yet you say if you saw an injured pit you would help, i am suprised you would go near it if you knew it was a pit.
Your helping it on 1 hand and killing it with the other by reporting it.
I don't think it is fair to blame a breed of dog it is the owners that need to be dealt with. After all they have created these dogs and brought out the aggressive traits in them.
Pits are nasty pieces of work, because of the humans that have allowed or taught this behaviour.
I am sure you can get some that are naturally aggressive, but you can say that about any dog or breed.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I just havent read every post so applogise if what I am saying has already been said, IMO I am totally against the banning of any breed and IMO the dog that has done the damage should be destroyed not all of that breed, sadly what the problem today is some breeds that are considered "hard" are being kept by the wrong people, if there were no PB types other types would be used by this section of people and then we would have another breed that will become banned so on and so on, as for the ban on PB types these can and do get mixed up with other breeds ie badly bred as far as breed standard but a good dog in every aspect staffy, the link dipicting the different breeds that can be mistaken for PB I had personally shown to a few dogwardens and guess what they could not pick out the PB? now then these are people that have to KNOW their breeds pretty well yet they too can get it wrong. I dont know what the answer is to the growing problem, but as we know the ban is not working, I see more PB types around now than I did in 91 and without exception the ones I have seen have been on the other end of a lead held by a 17+ odd year old male, one such person when I approached him to "chat" about his dog proudly said that yeah its a pB they are banned you know, yet here he was with a dog (that I might admit was actually snarling at another dog tied up outside a shop) that was entire, I mentioned the neutering of this breed to which he answered no way am I having his nuts chopped off we're gonna get some money from his pups. sorry for rambling here I just cant see how we are going to change things.

Mo
We can change things by taking action against owners rather than the dogs. It may not always be easy to identify a pit bull type but you can always identify a crap owner. There must be numerous pb types owned by good caring owners, where neither the dog or owner have done anything wrong. Lets just stop seeking them out and just take action against all the really crap owners out there regardless of the breed of dog they own.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:54 PM
the owners are partly to blame

but answer this - why do they use pits as fighting dogs????

why not use another breed???? because they are the dogs that can show so much aggression and are so strong.....

if we dont destroy pits and their types then imo it will get totally out of hand and imo i would be bothered about walking my dog round here...!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Suze Staffords have been tarred with the same brush for years!
But I will remind you of the KC's breed Standard that they say the following,Traditionally of indomitable courage and tenacity. Highly intelligent and affectionate especially with children.
Only one of two breeds currently listed with the KC saying that!

Suze You say other breeds don't have the capability the Pitt does...Really why in the last 12 months then have we seen two deaths of children caused by a Rottie then?
I would like to know your reasoning because at times you indicate you have no idea of the pitt,it's ancestors or the DDA.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Suze I am sorry but I have friends in the states that have wonderful PB's correctly bred and owned by responsible owners that have been in the breed for many years, and have NEVER had any aggression incidents with their dogs, unless you have met or had any dealings with people who are passionate about this breed and actually see other other side of the PB, then you are always going to have a negative response regarding this breed. everything is NOT just black and white.

Mo
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 01:02 PM
sal - i know staffs have been tarred with the same brush - but i wuldnt see harm come to them - i dont like them tbh - one was lmost run ove ron a busy road near mine - tbhi dont think it was a 'prope' staff looking back - it was abl**dy big dog - larger than staffs - but i stopped with this other girl and let it in my car, i phoned the dog warden etc - no i didnt feel happy handling this dog because of all the talk about them - even the girl who was with me admitted that she didnt have much experience of them - but i put my fears and doubts aside and helped this dog...

dont knnow what happned to the dog but the warden got the dog who was cautios (as expeceted with any dog) but yeh - i helpe d abreed i dont like, wont like and cant say i will ever like

but rotties arnt on the DDA, so thats irrelevant - you cant compare the 2 - i like rotties - only recently i have liked them tbh - my friends dog made me a convert - now i love the breed, yes they can be nasty, but they dont have the same reputation as put bulls,

the day another breed like the rottie is banned is the 12th of never.......
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
the owners are partly to blame

but answer this - why do they use pits as fighting dogs????

why not use another breed???? because they are the dogs that can show so much aggression and are so strong.....

if we dont destroy pits and their types then imo it will get totally out of hand and imo i would be bothered about walking my dog round here...!
Why only partly to blame?
More importantly why is any dog used as a fighting dog, they don't choose to do it, their owners make that choice for them.
They are not born aggressive, they are taught to be aggressive by their owners. They do have the potential to be lethal but if you destroy them they will be replaced by those sick ba$tard$ with another breed.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
sal - i know staffs have been tarred with the same brush - but i wuldnt see harm come to them - i dont like them tbh - one was lmost run ove ron a busy road near mine - tbhi dont think it was a 'prope' staff looking back - it was abl**dy big dog - larger than staffs - but i stopped with this other girl and let it in my car, i phoned the dog warden etc - no i didnt feel happy handling this dog because of all the talk about them - even the girl who was with me admitted that she didnt have much experience of them - but i put my fears and doubts aside and helped this dog...

dont knnow what happned to the dog but the warden got the dog who was cautios (as expeceted with any dog) but yeh - i helpe d abreed i dont like, wont like and cant say i will ever like

but rotties arnt on the DDA, so thats irrelevant - you cant compare the 2 - i like rotties - only recently i have liked them tbh - my friends dog made me a convert - now i love the breed, yes they can be nasty, but they dont have the same reputation as put bulls,

the day another breed like the rottie is banned is the 12th of never.......
Why Can't I compare? This breed is responsible for 2 deaths in the last 12 months,it's not irrelavant,you seem to be saying only pitts arre capable of this yet their not are they?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Plus we all know rotties have attacked in the past, so what is the difference between a rottie that has wounded some one to a pit doing the same thing.
Surely both dogs are as dangerous or aggressive as each other?
An aggressive dog is just that what ever the breed, but at the same time it is 1 dog out of 100's, so you cant say it is the breed and not just the individual dog concerned.
Closed Thread
Page 28 of 37 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 > Last »