View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I personally wouldn't let my dog stick his head out of the window, both from the point of view that I would probably be monitoring what he is doing rather than watching the road ahead but also some years ago when I worked in a police station we had an incident whereby a young lad was decapitated - he had his head out of the window whilst the car was going over a bridge - dreadful thought -
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Because I am sick fed up with the attitude of some members. They do what they feel is right and condemn anyone who does different. I will make decisions for my dog, and not let over people belittle me and try to make me feel bad for what I decide. I should not need to explain myself, or my decisions, to anyone and if I do, it will be my choice. When I wrote that post, I was disgusted by some of the posts I had just read, so I didnt wish to say anymore. It also was to give me a chance to see what, if any, conclusions people would jump to.
So, you should be grateful that people care about your dog imo. Let us hope that at no point in the future do we hear that you or a passenger have been killed by one of your dogs hitting your head in an accident because YOU couldn't see the sense in what people are trying to say and help you - you just think they are having a go at you - you might show disregard fro your dogs welfare but I think it is admirable that people care about a dog that they haven't met because they CARE and love animals!
Helipops
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Seriuosly there are some serious cases out there of true animal cruelty. There are people in the world that set out to make money from animals being in pain. Those of us that allow a dog to feel the wind in their face on the occasional road trip are not these people.

Seriously get some perspective on the situation. I wish you would focus some of your energy on these people than crusading against us GOOD dog owners.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helipops View Post
Seriuosly there are some serious cases out there of true animal cruelty. There are people in the world that set out to make money from animals being in pain. Those of us that allow a dog to feel the wind in their face on the occasional road trip are not these people.

Seriously get some perspective on the situation. I wish you would focus some of your energy on these people than crusading against us GOOD dog owners.
Good point, but as a woman I can do both... to me animal cruelty takes all forms and I do actually spend a great deal of time working towards stopping cruelty of all forms towards animals.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't think anyone who does this is guilty of cruelty to animals, I just think it's an unnecessary risk.

I'm definitely starting to realise that I am in the minority on this though, which I think is sad. Especially when my efforts to try and help and educate turns into a hate campaign about me as a person.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Helipops View Post

Good dog owners and common sense dont always go hand in hand.

Common sense and statistic show allowing a dog to travel with head out of the window or unrestrained in a car, is dangerous.

Would you allow children to do the same, if the answer is no, then why would you allow your loved pet.

Your common sense tells you that unrestrained passengers in your car are unsafe, your common sense tells you that to allow a child to stick their head out the window while traveling in a car, yet that same common sense deserts you when it comes to your dogs

But unfortunately it is not exclusive to dog owners, haw many times do you see someone sitting in the front seat of a car, with their seat belt on, with a baby sat on their knee, or a small dog/cat, people using mobile phones,/texting. while driving, having cars overloaded with people and kids, sitting double, no seat belts on.

When some get behind the wheel of a car, they think they become invisible and cocooned in a little safety bubble, for themselves and their passengers
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I don't think anyone who does this is guilty of cruelty to animals, I just think it's an unnecessary risk.

I'm definitely starting to realise that I am in the minority on this though, which I think is sad. Especially when my efforts to try and help and educate turns into a hate campaign about me as a person.
No you are not Pidge, the majority of responses all 200 odd pages mostly agree with you, a very small minority dont!!

Some of those I have to say I am very surprised at!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I followed a car to the vets just now, which had a little cocker spaniel, leeeeeeaning out of the rear window behind the driver's head, it was so far out, I could almost see it's front legs Then we got to some parked vehicles, a lorry was coming towards us, and how it didn't take the dog's head off with it's protruding wing mirror I will never know, there must have been a fag paper between them!!! Horrified is an understatement!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I followed a car to the vets just now, which had a little cocker spaniel, leeeeeeaning out of the rear window behind the driver's head, it was so far out, I could almost see it's front legs Then we got to some parked vehicles, a lorry was coming towards us, and how it didn't take the dog's head off with it's protruding wing mirror I will never know, there must have been a fag paper between them!!! Horrified is an understatement!!!!
terrible Helena, yet you wont stop others doing the same thing.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Ok, so to all you "GOOD" dog owners can you please answer me, a bad dog owner, a question:

I have read on this forum on countless occasions that dogs are not humans and we should not humanise dogs or treat them like humans as dogs do not understand things in the same way humans do. In that case why are you all constantly suggesting that we should treat dogs like we would treat our children or ourselves when travelling in a car? Is that not humanising dogs?
Page 28 of 49 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 > Last »