Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
1. I muzzle the dog
2. I take it to vet for thyroid test
3. whilst i wait for results dog remains muzzled whilst child is up and about employing child stair gates top and bottom when child has been put to bed if i cant find alternative accomodation, i ring all the breed rescues not just one, i ring my trainer in case he knows someone suitable
5. Get results if thyroid is indicated then treat whilst attempting to find a new home.
So you would keep a dog muzzled for up to 10days isolated while you wait for alternates.

Baby gates dotn stop toddlers sticking fingers through then, no would it stop a determined dog getting to a child!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2010, 03:35 PM
i had a dog from a neighbour who bit my son she gave him to me as she was getting her cats back and he didnt like them, he nipped one of my sons on the finger but as i want sure if it was aplyaful nip as he was throwing a stick to the dog or not but when he bit my other son on the face i tiold the lady i got him from that he was going to rspca she insisted she find him another home . i gave her 24 hours as she had a young child as well and he was to be nowhere near the child. she found a home in wales no kids and massive land where he could run to his hearts content
cassassin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I would be more than happy to help this dog through his problems. I would be more than happy to spend the time to help him cope with his problems.

I was NOT going to make a firm offer until I knew whether or not this dog was still alive. I have two males in my home, two very small males and Dobermanns as a breed characteristic are known to be same-sex aggressive. There are a hundred or more tiny alterations that would have to be made in my daily routine in order for me to offer the help Oscar would need, but I WOULD definitely be more than happy to have him and work through his issues.

Anyone able to get him to Chester?

I am still hoping he hasn't been pts and he has seen a vet and hopefully had all of the tests done.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Kitty has just been on line,.??????????
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Kitty has just been on line,.??????????
Its very odd that she is signing in but not posting, unless members are private messaging her and she is logging into read them and going again?

But as she is around i would have thought she would have posted about the son and dog!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 04:05 PM
So you would keep a dog muzzled for up to 10days isolated while you wait for alternates.

Baby gates dotn stop toddlers sticking fingers through then, no would it stop a determined dog getting to a child!
i didnt say isolated? it wouldnt constantly be muzzled?

baby gates whilst the child is in bed top and bottom and crate it downstairs when i was in bed should my child get up and make its way downstairs through 2 child gates and stick its fingers through the dogs cage after going into the kitchen without me noticing? after being traumatised by the 'attack'

unless of course the dog was so determined that it should break out of its cage open the kitchen door and get through the bottom child gate up the stairs and lie in wait for said child? then thats the kinda dog that goes straight to the vet.

it was harmonious for 6 weeks til this happened, the dog isnt rabid.

if he went to a kennel to be rehomed he would be more 'isolated' there than the way he would be managed for a week or so (if it lasted that long am sure you could pay extra for thyroid tests to be expressed) and theres always a boarding kennel for a week as an option? how would being 'isolated' in a home environment be any worse than being put in kennels for a fortnight as if i was going on holiday?

Its all hypothetical now anyway, lets be realistic.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
i didnt say isolated? it wouldnt constantly be muzzled?

baby gates whilst the child is in bed top and bottom and crate it downstairs when i was in bed should my child get up and make its way downstairs through 2 child gates and stick its fingers through the dogs cage after going into the kitchen without me noticing? after being traumatised by the 'attack'

unless of course the dog was so determined that it should break out of its cage open the kitchen door and get through the bottom child gate up the stairs and lie in wait for said child? then thats the kinda dog that goes straight to the vet.

it was harmonious for 6 weeks til this happened, the dog isnt rabid.

if he went to a kennel to be rehomed he would be more 'isolated' there than the way he would be managed for a week or so (if it lasted that long am sure you could pay extra for thyroid tests to be expressed) and theres always a boarding kennel for a week as an option? how would being 'isolated' in a home environment be any worse than being put in kennels for a fortnight as if i was going on holiday?

Its all hypothetical now anyway, lets be realistic.

It's hardly realistic though is it? You might as well crate the child and give the dog free reign

Anyways as to regards the length of time the OP has the dog, lets be realistic there too..6 weeks isn't a great lenghth of time, I've taken in rescues previously that have taken up to six months to come out of there shells here and show their ''true'' colours. I'd say this dog is awfully confused being passed from a rescue centre then from one owner to the next, poor dog. Thats without even taking into consideration whatever this dog has been through in the past.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I dotn think anyone is saying the dog is "bad" , but it is unpredicable, and that in itself makes it dangerous, not bad, its sadly a product of its envioroment.

All dogs bites have to be taken on their own merit, but unless kitty has totaly fabricated this one, for me this is the kind that does not get a second chance.

Its OK saying well my dog bit me at some point or other, we are adults and can deal with it... a large dog attacking a little person, is not to be classed the same, and lets not forget , this dog tried to go back for more.
It was the owner`s ignorance that caused the situation, not the fact that the dog was vicious. Saying the dog should be put down smacks of revenge.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Cassassins, ref your offer, I cant pm you so will PM Kitty my mobile number in case I can help in anyway. Im hours away but will help if I can! I havent had any response from her but yah never know!
Zara's_Momma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Just read this thread and I feel terribly bad for the people/dog involved.
It's up to Kitty what she wants to do next. I know if I was her, I would be reluctant to post on this thread again, it's a loose, loose situation. People are going to be angry if she has put the dog to sleep, people will be angry if she has kept him alive. She can't please everyone.
Either way, I will personally support whatever she decides to do.
Closed Thread
Page 28 of 47 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 > Last »