Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The greyhounds---like the ex brood bitches I have known, have a far better life when they are homed on.
That really shouldn't be the case when the dog comes from a so called decent breeder.

rune
That's what I said?? but the ex brood bitches you will have come into contact with, will be those that are discharged into rescue by FP`s...NOT breeders in the show world

So you cant them put them into the same box as the poor creatures who have been used and used and used.

The ex show dog, that gets rehomed will be in a different type of home, probably better because it is in a one to one situation....NOT because it was mistreated in its show home. there is a difference.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i guess thats another big reason why some people are against showing

for the average pet lover you get a dog for life

Exactly, the average pet lover is not the only type of dog owner.. and that's where the emotions take over, one type seeing other types as cruel or inferior to theirs

if something unexpected out with your control happens and you have to rehome the dog it is a heartbreaking thing to do
you do your best to make your dogs life as happy and fufilling tru every stage of the dogs life and your love for your dog is so strong that you still adore them when their legs are shaky, and eyesight dim

What makes you think that someone who gives a dog up does not hold any foundness for that dog??

for a person to put a hobby over the individual dog is imo v wrong

That's fine, I also agree with you, its something I would never do, but that does not give me brownie points, all it does is say , I do things differently to others.... as long as a dog is not mistreated in life, thats what counts.

if you dont have the time to give them the happy retirement they deserve after all they have done for you then you dont have the time for another pup to bring on

But whats a happy retirement... what it is to you may not be the same for someone else.

A happy retirement is siting on someone's sofa.. for many dogs , that was never an option before (and thats not just show dogs, many working dogs dont have that privilege), so should they not be sent to retirement either, because the owner has no need for them.

Maybe the breeder looks at it this way, the dog has done his job for them, and as far as they are concerned, they are giving them a happy retirement

lets look at it a different way
a couple love walking, their dog has been walking with them for years
but its getting old now
as walking is important to them should they just rehome their dog and get a new one who can keep up?

Your joking right!! , how many oldies do you see get dumped in rescue, by pet owners because they have become for one reason or another inconvenient... too many pet owners dump unwanted dogs in rescue to make room for a younger fitter one.

But unlike the show breeder who does NOT dump their dogs, they simply offload and not give them a second thought...many a show breeder who re homes an old dog is in contact for life with the new home

a hobby and a job are different, a farmer or a blind person NEED the next dog to take overa show person WANTS another dog to take over

You are missing the point entirely or you dont want to see it... its the dog that counts... answer this ........

A show dog gets rehomed into a home where he sits by the fire, goes for long walks, is with the new owners 24/7 fed to much food, over indulged and is living the life of riley.

A guide dog gets rehomed into a home where he sits by the fire, goes for long walks, is with the new owners 24/7 fed to much food, over indulged and is living the life of riley.

A police dog gets rehomed into a home where he sits by the fire, goes for long walks, is with the new owners 24/7 fed to much food, over indulged and is living the life of riley.

Take your pick on the job the dog did.....

What is the difference to the dog????????????? does he suffer more stress because he has come from one home or the other..

Tell me its different for a show dog to a working dog, and I might begin to look at it differently.

In fact ... I will take that back, my thoughts are the guide dog, out of all the categories, would be the one to suffer most... after all they have had a unique bond with a one to one situation.. with an owner for many yrs.. they will have been inseparable... and then taken away and moved on.

So maybe instead of showing bias to a certain type of dog owner, you think of the dogs first, if you can tell me the trauma of a show dog being rehomed is worse than a guide dog , I may understand your argument

i think some show people have an overrated view of its importanceand that arrogance always puts me off showing just when i am softening and thinking it might be a fun hobby for people
And I think some people have an lack of understanding of the the concept of showing.. either that or simple prejudice

Its also important to point out, the show breeder who re homes their dogs, are the minority, the majority dont, because as its becoming more popular, more and more people are in it as a hobby, one they do with their pets.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I have taken great pains to say that I have a problem with ANYONE who does it.

Having had a retired guide dog for a while I don't actually LIKE what happens to them with all the moving around. Depending on the dog I think it is likely to be the same.

However no one involved pretends that the dogs are pet dogs---same with any dog doing a job.

It is the show breeders who say that the dogs are pets who are trying to kid either themselves or other people. They aren't pets they are ego extensions!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Having had a retired guide dog for a while I don't actually LIKE what happens to them with all the moving around. Depending on the dog I think it is likely to be the same.

However no one involved pretends that the dogs are pet dogs---same with any dog doing a job.

It is the show breeders who say that the dogs are pets who are trying to kid either themselves or other people. They aren't pets they are ego extensions!
rune

Sorry which show breeders are you talking about, those on here who tell you that showing is a hobby for them and their dogs are pets first and foremost..

Or the professional established breeder who has a large kennel is instrumental in their breed ... have we or anyone said they see their dogs as pets!!

I think its been said very clearly on many an occasion that there is a huge difference, between the two, but one does not have it right over another.

But whether they see their dogs as pets or stock (that dreaded word) it does not mean they discard them willy nilly or mistreat them.

So again, why is it different for those with working dogs to be able to see their dogs as not pets, but the big show kennel cant.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 08:51 AM

rune
What about those people that teach their dogs to perform tricks then advertise them for hire? What about those who dance with their doggies and tell people its the dogs that enjoy it! Ego entensions to the extreme!!

My ego extenstions, consist of two dogs never shown, one was but never bred from, none profit making machines that are pets. They do not do anything that I can "profit" from, unlike some people. The puppy who has never been shown yet either.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2010, 11:10 AM

rune
I actually find the above part of your post very offensive. I am a Show Breeder and my dogs are Show Dogs approximately 12-14 days out of 365 so maybe you could enlighten me to what I actually do and treat them as the days they are not being shown seen you seem to know lol !!!!! Veteran classes are popular as well at shows.
Whilst yar thinking about it maybe you could tell ma Ego Extensions to get their butts off ma bed lol
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
I actually find the above part of your post very offensive. I am a Show Breeder and my dogs are Show Dogs approximately 12-14 days out of 365 so maybe you could enlighten me to what I actually do and treat them as the days they are not being shown seen you seem to know lol !!!!! Veteran classes are popular as well at shows.
Apologies---I should have said the show brreeders WHO PASS DOGS ON WHEN THEY ARE OF NO MORE USE TO THEM are using the dogs as an ego extension.

I did say in an earlier post that I have no arguement with showing as a hobby----if people and dogs enjoy it then its up to them.

I also said I knew of people in obedience and agility who have moved dogs on when it doesn't work as they want it to. And that stinks as well!!

The people who do show seem to feel they are the only ones who are got at about rehoming----they aren't!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
What about those people that teach their dogs to perform tricks then advertise them for hire? What about those who dance with their doggies and tell people its the dogs that enjoy it! Ego entensions to the extreme!!

My ego extenstions, consist of two dogs never shown, one was but never bred from, none profit making machines that are pets. They do not do anything that I can "profit" from, unlike some people. The puppy who has never been shown yet either.
Happy to think of Trip or any of them as an ego extension----I love the filming and all it entails---I love having to think fast on my feet when the director wants something different to what he originally said he wanted. They have opened a whole new world up and I am grateful to them.

However---guess what---they won't EVER be rehomed even if they do muck up or get old or infirm and can't do what might be required.

Profit ----LOL!

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Happy to think of Trip or any of them as an ego extension----I love the filming and all it entails---I love having to think fast on my feet when the director wants something different to what he originally said he wanted. They have opened a whole new world up and I am grateful to them.

However---guess what---they won't EVER be rehomed even if they do muck up or get old or infirm and can't do what might be required.

Profit ----LOL!

rune
Same here, so whats your problem?

Thinking fast on your feet 'eh, challenging indeed.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
And possibly there are some caring people like you who just happen to show their dogs but have their ultimate welfare at heart & ensure that they all go to homes that will be to the benefit of the dog. No doubt if things didn't work out in their new homes you'd have a dog back like a shot.

But rehoming reasons like the owner is going to be abroad a lot showing other dogs so it wouldn't be fair to leave the dog alone, or maybe the owner will be so busy showing other dogs, the ones no longer able to win prizes will not get the time & attention they deserve ~ to me that is just so unfeeling & putting their hobby of breeding above the welfare of their dogs. I thought a dog was supposed to be for life, not just till it stops winning prizes
Well, unfortunately for me I cannot have them back, ill health put paid to that, which is why they were rehomed in the first place, no other reason, they ranged from 2 years old to 11 years old so, as you can see, my oldies were kept regardless..oh how I miss them all

With regards to having them back though, everyone knew that if things didn't work out then I was to be kept informed, fortunately for me I had more permanent and foster homes available than I had dogs, so that aspect was pretty much covered. All of the dogs have become very much loved members of their new families and I have the opportunity to visit whenever I want to, which is great. We have lost two of the oldies, they have both left an enormous gap in their new owners lives, even though they were only with them for just over a year I know I selected absolutely the right homes for my babies.

But surely, if a show dog is kennelled and then offered the chance of a fireside home then that is better for the dog? I understand totally what you are saying, that by getting rid of said dog they are making room for another. But I'm not talking puppy farms here, I'm talking about the top people in the breed who aren't content with just getting placed, to them a second place is no good at all, it has to be a first place in the class and then best of breed and ultimately, in the case of Leons breeders, best in show at Crufts. Maybe when you reach those pinnacles then your hobby has become a lifestyle, or an addiction, I don't know. But I still believe that a dog has to be better off in a fireside home either as an only dog or with one or two as a companion as opposed to living life in a kennel and only getting to see people when it is taken out to shows.

I agree that there are some callous people out there in the world of dogs, not just showing people either, but there will always be nasty people in all walks of life whether its dog related or children, horses...you name it, I bet we all know of at least one person in the news that has been in trouble for neglecting animals. It is the way of the world, unfortunately
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 12:15 PM
the thing that i am finding really strange is that everyone is saying they dont pass on their dogs when they are no longer useful
so why so strongly defend people who do? that is what has changed my mind about showing, the attitude that its ok for showing people
pet owners rehome their dogs for all sorts of dumb reasons - and everyone on here condems them
show people pass on their dogs when they are no longer useful and thats ok? and its fine cos they dont go into rescue

well i know a few people who have got dogs passed on from show homes
every one of those people say they have rescued the dog
everyone of those dogs has had issues fitting into a family environment as they are not socalised to normal real life

many people who rescue, from any situation, often say rescue dogs are more affectionate to them, more clingy, more of a shadow than a dog got as a puppy
dosent sound to me like getting rehomed is totaly easy for the dog

quite simply if i felt when my dog is unable to do agility then they would have a better life in another home then i am doing something wrong now
agility, showing, dancing, filming is such a small part of the dogs life that if the rest of its life isnt fufiling enough then the owner needs to do something about that

disclamer
i am still not against anyone who enjoys a fun hobby with their much loved dogs, who try and make sure their dogs have a great life for their whole life
Page 28 of 36 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 > Last »