register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you 'do' dominance?
Yes I believe in the dominance/heirachy/pack theory 51 43.22%
No I don't 'do' dominance 42 35.59%
Have absolutely no idea 1 0.85%
Sitting on the fence 24 20.34%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 27 of 30 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 >
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:46 PM
That just doesn't make sense, I've seen shy puppies come completely out of themselves once removed from the litter situation and confident pups turn into wrecks for the same reason. I think that some traits can be picked out as a puppy but it is their life experiences that will shape what they will be.
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Thats true, but in a pack environment certain dogs are born with certain qualities, and shaped wrongly yes, it can end in disaster, but some just have it, some don't.

As I said before, unless you've experienced it, it's very difficult to explain, and quite frankly I'm tired of trying :smt042
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That just doesn't make sense, I've seen shy puppies come completely out of themselves once removed from the litter situation and confident pups turn into wrecks for the same reason. I think that some traits can be picked out as a puppy but it is their life experiences that will shape what they will be.
Becky

Got to agree with Malady again The genetic make up of a dog provides the platform for the development of individual behaviour and in a litter situation, where the environment is pretty much identical for all of them, the ones with the genes that predispose dominant behaviour will become evident.

When they leave the nest everything changes. They experience different stimuli, even when they live together, and the strong environmental influence takes effect.

It's interesting to see the huge difference between breeds in a litter situation. The more dominant breeds are much noisier and more active IME. Akitas and Lapphunds, and GSDs to a lesser extent, play fighting developing so much that splitting some of the males had to be considered after about 12 - 16 weeks.

Bernese, in comaprison are quiet, well behaved blobs
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Bernese, in comaprison are quiet, well behaved blobs
That affectionate terminology should be written into the Breed Standard
Brian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
no i don't do dominance i think it is a very old school way of thinking.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
no i don't do dominance i think it is a very old school way of thinking.
HOw so??

I don't do dominance either... I do pack theory/order but some others would call it dominance.. just depends on what you define the words as..
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
All the Boxer lot I know very few string a dog, most Boxer folk, stack or bait their dogs, and the very best of them will free stand, (not many can do this) unfortunately like in all other breeds you will get people who string and do it badly, but a few can do it well. without hindering the dogs performance.

Hi Jackie,, forgot all about this,,,sorry,, here is the photos I said I would post,,re my method of training boxers,,,eg,what I call free standing, or liberty training
I honestly dont think its that hard to train, I find it easyer than going hands on,,,stacking or whatever,, we still use food or toys though, just the dog is trained to stay still, not rush forward for food or toys, I guess some boxers are more bouncy than others, but sure it would still work,, poss just take a bit longer to get there,,xx

Oscar,,,learning to free stand

hollie learning to free stand,,, do you recognise them at all,?

Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Shona
do you recognise them at all,?
What are their KC names? I have problem watched them at some boxer shows.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi Carole,,
had to go and look for her name, lol
its : Taranut Prediction I think, her owner is Mark Skinner,
this is him with oscar,,,but he no longer shows him,
Marks a laugh and a half,,when I do bite domos marks the chap in the bite gear with the rottweiler hanging off him,
he does it happily,,,which is a bonus, not many people offer! wonder why lol,

Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I think it depends on the nature of your dog. I have a very independent BC who can be unpredictable at times and I certainly wouldnt trust him. He's started to be possesive with chews and he'd much prefer to make his own decisions about things.

I also have a Wirehaired Pointer who, even from a tiny pup, dominated my other dog. He'll pinch things from your hand, barge into you, backchat you etc so I do have 2 dogs who would take advantage of a lack of leadership.

The dogs do not venture any further into the house than the kitchen so as a result, they are not allowed on any of the furniture, I always go through doorways, gates etc before them, they dont touch their food unless I give the command, all toys are put away until I instigate a game and then I end it when I want, I dont let them jump up me or sit on my lap etc.

Dont get me wrong, I love my dogs but at the end of the day they are living a priveliged life all paid for by myself so in return, I expect them to do as they're told and respect my position in the pack. Unfortnately, the best method for my 2 is to use the dominance method.

I subscribe to the Cesar Millan and Mic Martin schools of thought!
Page 27 of 30 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 >