Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
When pedigree breeding is being put forward as the alternative example then it is valid to ponder, especially as the conversation was moving forward from this point made by Vikki, which I was supporting.

Ruby
The difference for me is there are pedigree breeders out there that are decent, breeding for a reason, using health tested dogs ect. I have never seen a decent cross breeder using health tested dogs, who is also breeding for a vaild reason.. Other than them that may be for work or out crossing for health. So yes if you pick a responsible decent pedigree breeder it is a better alternative.

Of course Vikki is right, rescues are full of Staffs, their crosses and other breeds. I dont get what this has to do with the breeding of crosses. There will be irresponsible, back yard breeders in ALL breeds.
I wonder how many people that complain about the amount of dogs in rescues actually give something back, helping..
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Honestly...You dont sound the most responsible. You only have one home lined up, have not mentioned any health tests..(unless I have missed it?) Theres alot more to being a decent breeder than breeding for yourself to have a pup.
How old is your girl, and the male.
Having the pups first vacc done, and sending them away with a pup pack makes you no better of a breeder. I would advise either having none or both injections done, vets use different things and sometimes make new owners have the pups re done..Over vacc'ing in young dogs is dangerous.
My bitch isn't due her season for another 6 months. She will be 3 years old, the dog will be 2 years old, I am having both of them hip scored, along with eye testing. In regards to vaccinating the pups, I'll talk to my vet about it and decide the best course of action.

I would not class my self as a "breeder" anyway as I only want her to have one litter. After which I will be getting her spayed.

I love the fact that you are quick to judge, when one person on here has already said that they rehomed their dog because they couldn't show him and that doesn't seem to bother you!

I also have a cocker spaniel - I cannot use him for working as he is too small or showing as he has a kink in the end of his tail. If I said to any other dog lover that I rehomed him because of this I would be considered a monster!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post
I would not class my self as a "breeder" anyway as I only want her to have one litter. After which I will be getting her spayed.
Get real, you breed a litter - You are a breeder. Doesnt matter if its the once, or one a year!

Your right I dont expect everyone to keep a pup if its not suitable, people who are breeding with an aim dont have room to keep dogs that dont meet the standard required for show, work or anything else.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:50 PM
My bitch isn't due her season for another 6 months. She will be 3 years old, the dog will be 2 years old, I am having both of them hip scored, along with eye testing. In regards to vaccinating the pups, I'll talk to my vet about it and decide the best course of action.

I love the fact that you are quick to judge, when one person on here has already said that they rehomed their dog because they couldn't show him and that doesn't seem to bother you!

I also have a cocker spaniel - I cannot use him for working as he is too small or showing as he has a kink in the end of his tail. If I said to any other dog lover that I rehomed him because of this I would be considered a monster!
How many homes do you have lined up?
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Sorry everyone.

I started getting a bit ranty again in my last comment

I just love dogs no matter what breed or cross they are. I don't mind cross breeding, just like I don't mind pedigree breeding as long as the dogs are healthy and happy.

ALL breeders need to take responsible steps to helping dogs and we don't need to judge each other because of the type of dogs we own!

I'm not going to comment on this thread again, as I sometimes get annoyed with people's opinions.

Bye Bye and I hope everyone can reach a middle ground
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
How many homes do you have lined up?
one..........
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Sorry everyone.

I started getting a bit ranty again in my last comment

I just love dogs no matter what breed or cross they are. I don't mind cross breeding, just like I don't mind pedigree breeding as long as the dogs are healthy and happy.

ALL breeders need to take responsible steps to helping dogs and we don't need to judge each other because of the type of dogs we own!

I'm not going to comment on this thread again, as I sometimes get annoyed with people's opinions.

Bye Bye and I hope everyone can reach a middle ground
If you have the homes (depending on the breed - I would want at least 6) lined up before you breed - you have done the health testing...and are willing to give every single pup owner the opportunity to give the pup back to you throughout its entire life if any circumstances change.

I would have no issue with you breeding.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I always aim to keep a puppy but it's not always possible. I've had six litters including the singleton and kept out of 4 of them.
The two I didnt keep out of were both by Libby Bell the first we kept a dog but he wasn't big enough to show and his sister lived locally, her new owners wanted another dog for company for her and she used to play with Ben when she came to be trimmed so he went to live with them. I still see them both regularily though and he has a lovely life.
The second litter had all sold except for one girl we intended to keep. I had a puppy enquiry from a local family who's daughter had been badly bitten by a dog but had fallen in love with the paper girls Welsh. I sold them the last girl as I thought it better to get the daughter a dog before she changed her mind.
Oh and I have a litter at the moment I dont think I'm keeping out of, mainly because all the girls have too much white on to show and I cant really keep a dog.
I never said I rehomed him because he wasn't good enough to show I was mearly stating it's not always possible to keep out of each litter.
I said I rehomed him bacause his sister was lonely and they get on really well together. Actually he would still be here if it wasnt for the fact Maggie suffered seperation anxiety when she was left on her own.
I actually have 7 welsh at the moment two are too old to show, and one of the girls isnt good enough she's still here though.
If you have a litter your a breeder wether you like the term or not.
Can I ask what you will do if your bitch has 8 puppies and you cant sell them. Have you got room to keep them all?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
EVERYONE who breeds dogs does so to make a bit of money, if they are going to keep a puppy, then fine, but how many breeders of both pedigrees and cross breeds keep a puppy from EVERY litter? If they didn't do it to make any money at all, the puppies wouldn't cost so much (i.e: £1000+ for a potentially problem riddled pug!).

I intend to breed my dogs this year, mainly because I want to keep a puppy and as they are working dogs I am trying to better my team! Admittedly, I will only sell the additional puppies for what they cost me and I will offer to take the pups back at any stage of their lives - so none should go into rescue! The puppies will be coming with a puppy pack and have their 1st injections. I already have a home lined up for one and my bitch isn't even due her season yet!

They will be cross breeds! So from the info above do I sound irresponsible?
only one?

are they health checked dam and sire ?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
EVERYONE who breeds dogs does so to make a bit of money, if they are going to keep a puppy, then fine, but how many breeders of both pedigrees and cross breeds keep a puppy from EVERY litter? If they didn't do it to make any money at all, the puppies wouldn't cost so much (i.e: £1000+ for a potentially problem riddled pug!).

I intend to breed my dogs this year, mainly because I want to keep a puppy and as they are working dogs I am trying to better my team! Admittedly, I will only sell the additional puppies for what they cost me and I will offer to take the pups back at any stage of their lives - so none should go into rescue! The puppies will be coming with a puppy pack and have their 1st injections. I already have a home lined up for one and my bitch isn't even due her season yet!

They will be cross breeds! So from the info above do I sound irresponsible?
your 1st sentence is a very sweeping statement indeed, i certainly never bred to 'make a bit of money' and i never did either ...in the 11 yrs ive had siberian huskies ive bred 1 litter and kept 3 of the 4 puppies plus my bitch needed a ceasarian, i have 5 sibe bitches altogether but i'll never breed again i dont want the responsibility,....

but i fully support breeders who do everything right.. who work/show (or both) their dogs and breed only from health tested animals who are good examples of the breed that fit the breed standard, do everything possible to protect puppies with endorsements and puppy contract etc....if this is the type of breeder you are than you would seem an ethical breeder to me.

i dont support anyone who dosent have a good reason to breed and who breeds to supply the already oversaturated pet market, i certainly dont agree with anyone who crosses my breed or any breed for that matter unless its for a genuine purpose....if you fall into these categorys than imo you would be irresponsible yes.
Page 27 of 28 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 >