Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=Ramble;1835522]
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

I didn't say the bit you quoted me as saying...

As for the rest, yes that's the problem...plus I think the police turn a blind eye..or think they have better things to do than deal with the dogs. Of course investigating if a dog is 'type' is also a long and very probably expensive business with lots of paperwork.
Sorry, got me quotes mixed up
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by buzzie View Post
To tell Pit bull may take a little doing but I'm no expert and I could tell Pit Bull type.

While everyone continue to argue, nothing is done. What do you think the judges should do??
Not here in the UK where the dog has to be of the "Type"

What judges are you writing of Show judges ? APBT are not a KC recognized breed here in the UK so have no say in the matter.

If it is the Law Court Judges, then ban the owners from ever owning any animal again & fine them high & make them work with the victims of such attacks
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Maybe this just makes too much sense but how about people taking on a breed for a pet that hasn't been involved in killing
im sure with many/most breeds if you look hard enough you will find very bad press about them,

rotties dont take much searching sadly,

but why should I not have my well bred, well reared, well behaved dogs because some fool picked up a very poorly bred dog and used it as a guard dog? never reared it properly?
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Not here in the UK where the dog has to be of the "Type"

What judges are you writing of Show judges ? APBT are not a KC recognized breed here in the UK so have no say in the matter.

If it is the Law Court Judges, then ban the owners from ever owning any animal again & fine them high & make them work with the victims of such attacks
It was the Court Judges, I was referring to in my post. I agree with your solution but these people change names, kennel names, move and can think about anything and everything to breed again, I've seen it here. It would be a wonderful start though but hard to police and always a challenge to someone that is hell bent in doing what they want. I admire the UK with how they breed and treat their animals, it is only this that I have a hard time with at the moment.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
im sure with many/most breeds if you look hard enough you will find very bad press about them,

rotties dont take much searching sadly,

but why should I not have my well bred, well reared, well behaved dogs because some fool picked up a very poorly bred dog and used it as a guard dog? never reared it properly?
here here, so basically we should just allow our breeds to fall into the hands of the numpties, accept it and move on to another ??

There isnt an easy answer but until the authorities start looking at the people behind the dog whether that be breeding it ( badly) or owning it then nothing will change. banning the breed is not and will never be the answer. again someone correct me if I am wrong but The DDa came about not through attacks by Pit Bulls but by Rotties/ GSD at the time. So where does the sense in this law actually come from??
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
some one i know has a red nosed pitt bull bought from a breeder in Liverpool. he is just the sweetest family dog you could ever wish to meet.
what do i do???
report it because it's an illegal breed??? what if he is pts and i have taken a lovley dog away from a loving dog family??
say nothing and let it live out it's happy life with it's family???
what if he turns nasty and hurts someone?? how guilty would i feel then

what do i do???
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
it's so long but i will read it later and give my opinion
Meanwhile here is my Grandsons Staffie x Pitt

my son also owned an irish staff x pitt she died last year aged 12. sweet sweet girl

Liverbird - I have to ask; did your friend, son and grandson know they were buying pitbulls and pitbull crosses? If so, why? Why buy a dog from a banned breed? It's illegal and if they are reported and convicted it's the dog that's going to pay...with it's life.

J.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Maybe this just makes too much sense but how about people taking on a breed for a pet that hasn't been involved in killing

That may well be a great idea in the majority of cases if taken at face value as I am sure no reponsible owner wants a potential "killing machine" in their house or care however every dog is capable of this and thats the point every dog so it is up to us the humans to ensure they are trained and socilaised and protected from being placed in a situation where there inate behaviour kicks in, much the same as our fight or flight mechanism yes it is inate but it can also be managed.
The key word above is responsible if we take away the "pit bulltype" then next it may be the Doberman type or the Rottie type and crosses are classed as dangerous because they conform to a specific colouring, heioght or muscle density.
Those owners who are intent on a breed to make them look "hard" will always pick one that is bred to be the meanest...so if that means one originally bred for killing then they will have them regardless of laws thats what criminals do.
And I also guess you could argue that several breeds are bred for killing...from Rodesian Ridgebacks to Parson russels so do we just ban dog ownership. Very few breeds are actually bred to kill and attack humans, as far as I am aware and the Pitbull was bred as a fighting dog for dog on dog fights not for human aggression it is sadly a trait that the aggression is being channeled wrongly by poor owners and they can do that to any breed that is large enough to inflict dammage

no offence meant to owners of RR or PRT I didnt want to use typically mentioned breeds
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I've just e-mailed This Morning as well.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
the one show now - mic martin on
hooray already mentioned the words responsible owners

2 minute slot but more sense than This Morning !!!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I cant understand why Liverbird first asks what to do about a possible Pitt around the corner, and then practically the next post they make produce pics of a x pitt belonging to the family? surely the same question asked should apply to the dog in the family too? I certainly would not be advertising this x on the forum thats for sure.

Mo
Page 27 of 53 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 > Last »