Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I find it odd that some people find it ok to have a dog who would harm another animal who may pass through their garden...
i dont find it ok.. i dont want it to happen,i take precautions as much as i can... but i accept it may happen..like cats and their kills..doesnt make the cat or dog evil just some are more likely to do it than others and i recognise that.....as i said before i never condemned my cat when he did it...and only blamed myself for my ferrets.....the cat ruled the roost tho
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Totally different situation!
Totally different to what?
this thread is about PTS dogs that kill other dogs isnt it?

Im interested in people responses
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Can i ask.

You are on a walk & a loose dog comes over, attacks & fatally wounds/kills your dog. MEANS to kill it. Would you fight for THAT dog to be PTS.?

I would
Yes, I probably would - if I had been unable to prevent the attacking dog at the time....

However, that unknown dog would have no meaning to me, no history, no bond between us, which there would be if it were two of my own dogs that were involved. I don't think that I could just switch off all of my feelings towards one of my dogs on the basis of one, albeit it horrific, action.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Can i ask.

You are on a walk & a loose dog comes over, attacks & fatally wounds/kills your dog. MEANS to kill it. Would you fight for THAT dog to be PTS.?

I would
To me its different firstly its not a dog you have lived with, shared your life with, loved - its also not your responsibility. The attack would have been witnessed, so you would have an idea as to why the attack started in the first place and possibly be able to seperate the two dogs.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Cats are not classed as domesticated animals by law so far as am aware, but as roaming/feral animals. If anyone chooses to have any such animal and take responsibility for them, then that is their choice. Folk love their animals and having them as part of their lives but have to accept the 'ins n outs' of such responsibility. Sentiment n feelings will have no baring by law in certain circumstance.
So.........,
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
How is that the same? To me its different firstly its not a dog you have lived with, shared your life with, loved - its also not your responsibility. The attack would have been witnessed, so you would have an idea as to why the attack started in the first place.
ItsNOT the same! Its different.Its meant to be different!

Its still a question though about having Dogs PTS that have
killed other dogs.

This has nothing to do with the other thread. interested in responses.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I can honestly say that if one of mine killed another I wouldn’t have the dog held responsible pts certainly not before trying other things first if it was a choice I made it would be made after I had done everything else I could possibly do, training wise, taking caution when around other animals ect. My dogs - my responsibility for life - Thats a promise I make to myself and them when agreeing to take a dog on...I guess for some the one injection to have the responsible animal pts takes that responsibility away so 'quickly', it’s the easy way out isn’t it, meaning one less worry for the owners - the right thing or not - who cares, it’s the easiest If one of my dogs is found dead/hurt because of another then it’s MY fault, I left them in the situation - and although I would have to live with that its only me I could blame, I couldn’t blame the dog responsible even less so if I did not witness the incidence!!

I have not read all the thread, so don’t know what’s really going on, on here – but that’s my opinion anyways!!
Exactly how i feel aswell, i leave my huskies together in a pen when we're out, should one of them kill another then that would be MY fault not the dogs....

Speaking of humans - Dawn - i'll answer for you!

"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. *Of the entire brood, he is the one who possesses malice.
He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong, proves his moral inferiority to any creature that can not."
Mark Twain
this quote is so very accurate!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I get the impression from some that it's us dog owners that are responsible for cats being killed when they're out roaming the neighbourhood? Yet, it is the cat owners choice to let their cat out and risk it meeting up with a dog that has a high prey drive.

In no way would I ever set my dogs on a cat, I used to have a cat not so long ago. That said, if some ones dog comes across a cat on it's property and the dog has a high prey drive then I'm afraid that's the risk you taking allowing your cat out in the first place. Some dogs do have a very high prey drive, but like I said on the other thread, it is us humans that have developed this prey drive for our purposes yet when the prey drive is accidentally misdirected the dog is blamed!

Had I been in Zoe's position I would've done the same. No one knows why one dog attacks another. Look at Scorpio's example at the beginning of the thread, look at Rossi and Oscar. Who knows why Rossi started attacking Oscar, all I know is from a humans perspective he wanted him dead. Had we not been there when it first happened we may well have ended up in Zoe's position. And for me an eye for an eye just doesn't sit well at all.

Hmm im not quite sure what you are getting at if anything

Put it this way. Our two dogs never had cats living with them until June 2010 & at that stage they were age 5 & 3 years. Yet they accepted a kitten, When we got a 2nd kitten at the end of the summer both dogs were enchanted with her. Dogs can be trained to accept other animals into their lives.
Some dogs, undoubtedly, but not all dogs. My last Springer had a huge prey drive and I mean huge! She was fixated with anything small and furrie. When I first got my cat they were kept completely separate in the house until the dog eventually passed away. They did share a garden however and no amount of attempting to train the dog not to chase the cat worked, it was absolute basic instinct for her to go after anything that was small and furrie. Luckily the dog was old and the cat was young so there was never a point where the cat was in any danger. I can tell you this though, the cat would wait intentionally for the dog to come out into the garden so she could taunt her. Sauntering across the garden just long enough before speeding up over the fence to make her escape. Crafty little b*gger!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Yes, I probably would - if I had been unable to prevent the attacking dog at the time....

However, that unknown dog would have no meaning to me, no history, no bond between us, which there would be if it were two of my own dogs that were involved. I don't think that I could just switch off all of my feelings towards one of my dogs on the basis of one, albeit it horrific, action.
But his dog is still a loved pet by someone?

(hopefully)

Id want him pts!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:09 PM
We used to put humans to sleep in this country who killed another human , now we deal with them in a different way in terms of punishment but they do get a trial by judge and jury to ensure the decision to punish them is correct and they are guilty of the said offence , so maybe if we apply the same principles then we assess the situation , what happened and why and deal with it accordingly , I just dont think it is a black or white answer , it is down to the circumstances.
Page 27 of 56 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 > Last »