Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Anyone able to answer my question please

What is the percentage of xbreeds compared to pedigrees in rescue?
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2004, 08:54 AM
Give me a chance Staffy I don't know the exact statistics, but I can tell you that pedigrees in rescue are a growing problem and that it would be a higher percentage than you'd think. The crossbreed problem goes without saying.
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

27-08-2004, 09:00 AM
I think I can honestly say that the breeders on this forum would be mortified if one of their pups ended up in a rescue centre, but unfortunately even with a contract signed by the buyers, if they wish to re-sell or hand the dog in to a rescue centre without telling their breeder there is not a lot a breeder can do. A while ago I was talking to Helen at Great Dane rescue and if the owners don't want the breeder to know the dog is in their care there is nothing they can do. I know for a fact that the RSPCA will not return a dog to it's breeder, a friend of mine even tried taking them to court to get a dog back and lost.

I have had rescue dogs and now I buy pedigree ones, that is my choice and my hard earned money.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Cummon Kathy u slipping girl

Why are we all still having this debate anyway when the problem is never, ever going to go away whether it b pedigrees or not in rescue
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by staffy
Anyone able to answer my question please?

What is the percentage of xbreeds compared to pedigrees in rescue?
Geez oh Staffy , that was a bit full on was it not - people need a chance as they may have other things more improtant & not many people will have that information to hand rather will have to take the time out to go and source it

I got a bit of a shock with the red writing you never usualy come accross so demanding lol.

Laura
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2004, 09:06 AM
I don't know staffy but it seems by responding to this thread I was targetted for attack just for not going to a breeder. I would've thought those that loved their breeds would be happy that someone would take them on when they were in need, not question whether I should have left them there because they weren't going to die that particular day. I should say here that it's obvious most of you do. I can even see where Alison is coming from even if I don't agree with it. The couple of posts I mean are just petty.

I've said over and over again that I didnt come here to attack breeding as I'm not against it when done properly and with the dogs' best interests at heart (which is how I assume most of you do it from these posts). However, I didn't realise there was such an anti-rescue stance with a couple of posters here. Someone's got to clean up the mess, whether it's a pedigree dog or not. And freeing up a space, even if that dog isn't on death row, is giving another dog who might be facing imminent blue juice, a chance.
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

27-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Because, Staffy, someone sees fit to use an emotive phrase to stir things up.

"Why breed or buy when others die"....its designed to provoke a reaction. Well, let me tell you why I buy instead of rescue:

1. I paid £800 for Willis. I trust him implicitely with my children. He knows nothing else but this house and us. Every single rescue I have fostered has been untrustworthy with children. I also live surrounded by fields of sheep and cows and horses - a puppy has to be introduced at an early age and understand whats what.
2. If anything happens, Jo will have Willis back. If I choose to go on holiday - Willis can go to Jo's. Far better than putting a dog in a kennels.
3. I would trust a Dane breeders advice over any vet - they simply have far more experience than a generic vet who deals in all animals and all breeds. I pay for that backup.

"Why breed or buy...." has been made up to guilt trip folk into rescuing dogs.
I will choose when I decide to rescue a dog as opposed to buy one - I will NOT be guilted into it. When my children are older and I live away from sheep and cows etc then I may choose to adopt a rescue dane - infact, the chances are very high. But I will NOT be emotionally blackmailed into it.

Finally, the very phrase that is used above is being used to provoke entirely the wrong people. Its the same as the "neuter everything" brigade. I will CHOOSE to neuter my dog when I see fit because I am responsible enough to look after him/her and ensure no accidents happen...the very people who allow accidental matings are the ones who don't give a toss and ignore the advice anyway. Therefore this emotive, provocative and frankly annoying phrase is entirely wasted here.
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 09:18 AM
This could go on forever wake me up when its finished.

Traci
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2004, 09:22 AM
That's a very naive view. Of course there will be dogs as long as accidental matings and strays are about. I assume you mean pedigree dogs. Well if the good breeders packed it in, the bad ones would take up the slack, which noone wants. But at the same time, there seem to be tonnes of breeders of certain breeds when there is never a shortage of pups. Maybe limiting that somewhow would help. I dont know how to stop BYBing, but believe me, dogs will never die out.
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

27-08-2004, 09:24 AM
I agree Kathy - the key in all this is to educate folk to buy from decent breeders - but they won't wait. They want an impulse buy, on the credit card, on a decision made on a saturday afternoon...
Closed Thread
Page 27 of 32 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »