Ohhh you changed your post too.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
More problems with the lingo Rune?

Ohhh you changed your post too.
I decided that regardless of the temptation I would try hard not to descend to your level.

So far so good.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I decided that regardless of the temptation I would try hard not to descend to your level.

So far so good.

rune
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Oh, here it goes, again.

Now, where'd I put the popcorn.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Oh, here it goes, again.

Now, where'd I put the popcorn.
share!?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
i guess thats another big reason why some people are against showing

for the average pet lover you get a dog for life
if something unexpected out with your control happens and you have to rehome the dog it is a heartbreaking thing to do
you do your best to make your dogs life as happy and fufilling tru every stage of the dogs life and your love for your dog is so strong that you still adore them when their legs are shaky, and eyesight dim

for a person to put a hobby over the individual dog is imo v wrong
if you dont have the time to give them the happy retirement they deserve after all they have done for you then you dont have the time for another pup to bring on

lets look at it a different way
a couple love walking, their dog has been walking with them for years
but its getting old now
as walking is important to them should they just rehome their dog and get a new one who can keep up?

a hobby and a job are different, a farmer or a blind person NEED the next dog to take over
a show person WANTS another dog to take over

i think some show people have an overrated view of its importance
and that arrogance always puts me off showing just when i am softening and thinking it might be a fun hobby for people
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Can't say if i agree/disgaree with your post because for me its abit of both - what i will say though is like you have said 'some' people care more about the hobby than the dog, not 'all'...So why be put off because of the few bad things, when there is a whole list of good!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i guess thats another big reason why some people are against showing

for the average pet lover you get a dog for life
if something unexpected out with your control happens and you have to rehome the dog it is a heartbreaking thing to do
you do your best to make your dogs life as happy and fufilling tru every stage of the dogs life and your love for your dog is so strong that you still adore them when their legs are shaky, and eyesight dim

for a person to put a hobby over the individual dog is imo v wrong
if you dont have the time to give them the happy retirement they deserve after all they have done for you then you dont have the time for another pup to bring on

lets look at it a different way
a couple love walking, their dog has been walking with them for years
but its getting old now
as walking is important to them should they just rehome their dog and get a new one who can keep up?

a hobby and a job are different, a farmer or a blind person NEED the next dog to take over
a show person WANTS another dog to take over

i think some show people have an overrated view of its importance
and that arrogance always puts me off showing just when i am softening and thinking it might be a fun hobby for people
Fantastic post. My sentiments entirely & also one of the reasons that I now have grave concerns over showing dogs.

When I first started reading this thread I was beginning to come round to the idea that showing dogs as a hobby can be fun for the dogs too ~ that some dogs enjoy the experience & that as long as these people put the welfare of the dogs first, then there's nothing wrong with it.

But as the threaad's developed & having now seen how some people that show (& breed?) dogs think about their dogs, I'm starting to go off the whole idea. These are sentient beings that we're talking about, capable of emotions & attachments ~ not "stock" or commodities to be traded around as soon as their usefulness comes to an end!

I'm not against rehoming for good reasons such as when owners have no choice because of unforeseen changes in personal circumstances, but to rehome a dog to further a hobby, IMO, is just degrading the dog to no more than a collector's item like a stamp, or a toy, to be swapped around when it no longer has the ability to win prizes.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 07:36 AM
From the replies I've read I get the impression that those opposed to dog shows haven't actually shown dogs themselves, it is what they think goes on behind the scenes that is cruel, i.e. rehoming dogs that don't make the grade or can no longer be bred from....am I right?

If that is the case then fair enough, I take on board what is being said about the rehoming etc. From a personal point of view, I have seen some of the show dogs and where they live, outside in cold unheated kennels, only bathed and groomed when they are going to a show. The breeders of Leon keep all their dogs outside in kennels but it is spotless, I'm not sure if they have heating but several dogs are in kennels together, they have clean dry beds and a huge paddock to run around in. The only thing they are lacking is the human company that our indoors dogs receive, but then they know no different, they are loved and fed, certainly not mistreated. However, they are moved on if they can't be shown/bred from but the homes are vetted and they only go to fireside homes, they don't get passed onto a home where they will remain in kennels all their lives. I don't have a problem with this as I see it as a move to a better lifestyle..but that is just my opinion.

With regards to how dogs feel when they are rehomed I am able to answer this from the heart. As you know, it darn near killed me to rehome my lot, the homes were all previous setter people that were known to me, so I knew they would all have loving fireside homes. It didn't stop me worrying about them or missing them, which I still do to this day. However, having visited them all in their new homes they are ecstatically happy, they make a huge fuss of me, lots of kisses and cuddles, but I see the look of adoration they give their new owners as they speak to them, a look that was reserved only for me once upon a time. It may be traumatic for the dogs initially but I have no doubts that, done properly, the dogs can be just as happy elsewhere.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
From the replies I've read I get the impression that those opposed to dog shows haven't actually shown dogs themselves, it is what they think goes on behind the scenes that is cruel, i.e. rehoming dogs that don't make the grade or can no longer be bred from....am I right?

If that is the case then fair enough, I take on board what is being said about the rehoming etc. From a personal point of view, I have seen some of the show dogs and where they live, outside in cold unheated kennels, only bathed and groomed when they are going to a show. The breeders of Leon keep all their dogs outside in kennels but it is spotless, I'm not sure if they have heating but several dogs are in kennels together, they have clean dry beds and a huge paddock to run around in. The only thing they are lacking is the human company that our indoors dogs receive, but then they know no different, they are loved and fed, certainly not mistreated. However, they are moved on if they can't be shown/bred from but the homes are vetted and they only go to fireside homes, they don't get passed onto a home where they will remain in kennels all their lives. I don't have a problem with this as I see it as a move to a better lifestyle..but that is just my opinion.

With regards to how dogs feel when they are rehomed I am able to answer this from the heart. As you know, it darn near killed me to rehome my lot, the homes were all previous setter people that were known to me, so I knew they would all have loving fireside homes. It didn't stop me worrying about them or missing them, which I still do to this day. However, having visited them all in their new homes they are ecstatically happy, they make a huge fuss of me, lots of kisses and cuddles, but I see the look of adoration they give their new owners as they speak to them, a look that was reserved only for me once upon a time. It may be traumatic for the dogs initially but I have no doubts that, done properly, the dogs can be just as happy elsewhere.
And possibly there are some caring people like you who just happen to show their dogs but have their ultimate welfare at heart & ensure that they all go to homes that will be to the benefit of the dog. No doubt if things didn't work out in their new homes you'd have a dog back like a shot.

But rehoming reasons like the owner is going to be abroad a lot showing other dogs so it wouldn't be fair to leave the dog alone, or maybe the owner will be so busy showing other dogs, the ones no longer able to win prizes will not get the time & attention they deserve ~ to me that is just so unfeeling & putting their hobby of breeding above the welfare of their dogs. I thought a dog was supposed to be for life, not just till it stops winning prizes
Page 27 of 36 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »