Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
ARRgg i wasnt going to get back into this. However....

First of all its abit unclear from the OP 's initial question as to whether we are talking about trying to get rid of Pits globally or just dealing with the supposed thosands that we still have in the UK.

If we are talking globally i think that its unbelievably pointless as have said many times, its the minority NOT the majority that are responsible for deaths and those instances that have occurred are down to the owners 99% of the time.

If we are talking about dealing with the UK pits then i still have problems. First of all like many have said because of the wide spectrum of "type" covered by the DDA, thousands of family dogs innocent pets etc would fall under the ban and would be seized for having done nothing at all.

I think that the people who own the culprit dogs ( ones that are left to roam) and fighting gangs should be severely punished, their dogs neutured and rehomed if possible otherwise PTS if proven to be unreliable.

It does anger me that many people on this thread who are supporting pitbulls to be globally wiped, dont own a bull breed and in a few cases clearly dont like them..so they are luckily never going to be affected by the DDA, so are acting as a case of touigh luck for the rest of us...

If I came on dogsey and slated golden retrievers, mals, NIs, jrt's etc etc saying they should all be wiped out for whatever reason i would be shot down.

To say that this isnt relevant is dangerous as ultimately if we accept that a law such as BSL can be implemented then ALL of our dogs are at risk,all it takes is a couple of dog attacks by another breed and you will get the media hype and a ban all over again with as different breed. After all the amount of puppy farmers BYB's and dodgy breeders that are chucking out very badly bred crosses and supposed breeds is going to lead to some very unreliable dogs in homes that dont know what they have let themselves in for.

For a dog lovers forum i am incredibly suprised by how many people think nothing of suggesting euthanising millions of potentially completely innocent dogs.

i question again if we were talking about collies how many of you would feel the same - after all the italian version of the DDA has collies listed on it - perhaps we should follow suit ??
first of all - before people buy a dog that looks like a pit - or its cross - they should stop and think - they know the pit is illegal and if they did their research properly they would find there is a chance the dog coudl be zseized, therefore dont get one.,.!! not worth the risk - and if people stopped buying them - there would eb less demand for them.............

secondly - mabey collies are on the list in italy - and? were on about the uk - pits and their crosses are the ones in the spotlight here for a reason

why do you think the media make sucha big issue of the pits and types?? because they know what they are like - they know why they are bred and have a bad reputation

if you look on a decent dog breed info site - you will see that the pit and it types are shown with a warning about being around other dogs and their fighting instinct - if they didnt have this then it wouldnt be such an issue
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Many dog breed info sites say the same about many breeds - that they can be dog aggressive. One is the SBT - the only breed recommended by the KC as ideal for families. What does dog aggression have to do with attacks on humans? Are you suggesting that dogs can't tell us apart from dogs? Your ignorance is astounding.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
first of all - before people buy a dog that looks like a pit - or its cross - they should stop and think - they know the pit is illegal and if they did their research properly they would find there is a chance the dog coudl be zseized, therefore dont get one.,.!! not worth the risk - and if people stopped buying them - there would eb less demand for them.............

secondly - mabey collies are on the list in italy - and? were on about the uk - pits and their crosses are the ones in the spotlight here for a reason

why do you think the media make sucha big issue of the pits and types?? because they know what they are like - they know why they are bred and have a bad reputation

if you look on a decent dog breed info site - you will see that the pit and it types are shown with a warning about being around other dogs and their fighting instinct - if they didnt have this then it wouldnt be such an issue
you are still missing my overall point which is regardless of breed i think that trying to eradicate or ban a whole breed is pointless in changing HUMANs actions which is the ultimate cause of these attacks whether it be through bad breeding or handling.

secondly if you have bothered to read the history of the pitbull / staffy etc completely then there is no denying their fighting history HOWEVER because a dog is DOG AGGRESSIVE it does not make it a mankiller - these dogs had bite inhibition bred into them to ensure that they could be handled even in the heat of the moment and staffies are the one breed who have a KC pedigree that offers the noation of a "nanny dog" precisely due to this reason.

Suze, no offense but you dont actually seem to know exactly what we are debating here as you keep harking back to UK only, but thats not just what we are tallking about the OP oroginally was suggesting wiping out the entire breed - i understand why you defend the law here - the law is the law etc not that i agree BUT its NOT JUST the pitbull that would suffer its every other dog that has the potential to bite, be deemed type and if you defend BSL then you hold the dpoor open for EVERY dog to be at risk.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Surely there was a "reason" behind collies being put on the list in Italy? And surely that reason was as misguided as BSL in this country. Breed specific legislation hasn't worked, doesn't work and will never work. The last 16 years have proven that. These attacks have proven that (all in the home!).
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:13 AM
you wanna know what - if the OP was saying to wipe out the entire pitbull breed.. i agree!!!!!

yes the dda dosent work - so wipe the whole soddin brreed out then!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:15 AM
That's the point, the DDA was supposed to have eradicated the PB from these shores but it hasn't worked so are you now suggesting that people go around collect up all the PB's and PTS? How about you go and watch every single one of them being killed? Not because they have done anything wrong but because they are of a specific breed.
Becky
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:17 AM
*Slaps head*

suze - I agree with Brundog - you obviously have little knowledge of dogs or the law if you can't get it into your head from the numerous welll-worded posts explaining that this law is not just covering a "breed" but a "type" which covers many other pedigree and crossbreed dogs who have no history of aggression and have done nothing wrong.

If it was your breed they were coming after, you'd be bleating for help, and quite rightly. I seriously don't understand how someone can profess to be a dog lover and say "wipe them all out".
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:18 AM
you wanna know what - if the OP was saying to wipe out the entire pitbull breed.. i agree!!!!!

yes the dda dosent work - so wipe the whole soddin brreed out then!!!
you know what - that is not really much of an argument - you are good at saying it but could you really stand by and watch it happen = with the potential for your beloved breed to be next because mark my words that WILL happen if you allow BSL ( breed Specific Legislation ) to be implemented.

oh and by the way collies are banned in italy for the same reason that pitbulls are banned here. so dont ever move to italy will you !!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't see the need to wipe out any breed, its people that have created this problem so it should be stopped.Wiping out pits isn't gonna deal with the scum bags that think it is ok doing what they do.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:32 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...cle2364529.ece

Might be interesting to suze.
Closed Thread
Page 26 of 37 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »