View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't have any problem with it whatsoever. If it's not meant to say what it does then that's down to the GSD people to put right.
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Yes, I think that may be true. I suppose you could ask a few, impartial, experienced breeders to give you an opinion but I think you will still miss out a lot by not networking at shows and seeing other breeders efforts, have first hand knowledge of what your chosen stud dogs antecedents and produce looked like for instance. Was this what you were thinking of or can you see other ways of doing it as effectively?
I was thinking more of breed club events....seminars, assessments etc. No doubt these would be run mostly by people with allegiance to the showring but nevertheless, a good starting point.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I was thinking more of breed club events....seminars, assessments etc. No doubt these would be run mostly by people with allegiance to the showring but nevertheless, a good starting point.

In particular the grooming, handling or judging ones that allow you to take your dogs along could be especially good as they present the opportunity to also informally learn something about their good and bad points from experienced people within the breed and some opportunity to see others. Still not quite as good as attending shows in all aspects but someways towards it definately :smt001
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I agree, there are many who have excellent quality dogs which would / are beneficial to the betterment of their breeds, [ certain breed standards not included imo ], but are not in to Showing or working their dogs for one reason or another, and while there are Breed Clubs with ethical expectations, there are no actual governing bodies as such regulating ethical and healthy breeding.

I would like to see something formal and legally enorceable set up for each breed, something with more `ooomph` than a Breed club, perhaps a law / regs so that whether people Show or work dogs or not, no one anywhere, be it a `top` breeder or Mrs Miggins round the corner with her nice little dog, should be allowed to breed for any reason unless their dogs are formally assessed plus health tested which should be, [ imo ], a legal requirement, full stop.

I know a lot of people will disagree on a `personal rights` aspect and will feel society has enough laws as it is, but to me, how people might feel about it is irrelevent.
The current licensing system is totally inadequate, it would be laughable if it were`nt for the fact that dogs suffer daily as a result of it being so lax.
Its dogs being bred so much and so badly which causes me to believe that they should have the right to protection from the unscrupulous or ignorant, human ego or anti-big brother or whatever should not come in to it.

Any breeders already doing everything right, [ whether Showing or not ], would not be phased by such a law / regs if they were implemented, and frankly I would expect them to welcome something like that on behalf of dogs - I`d be suspicious if they didn`t...
Patch..all I can say is hear hear very well said.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The breeder of my next pup produces fantastic dogs. Good all rounders. You know what, I don't have the first clue if she 'shows' and I don't care, she is a good, ethical breeder who produces amazing dogs.

Which breed Ramble? Good all rounders in what respect? Define "amazing"
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 08:48 PM
If you are happy to spend hundreds of pounds on a pedigree that might not actually look as you thought it would then I am a little surprised :smt001 but agree that is your choice.
Unfortunately the unpredictability of this type of breeding is not just about looks, being an inch or two taller or a variation in coat type, things that people may be very content to live with, even regard as desirable but it can just as easily lead to things like a poor mouth that may require dental work, expense and painfull treatment for the dog, poor construction leading to arthritis in later life etc.
I think it also about preserving our purebred breeds for future generations. If generation after generation aren't bred for conformation (and working traits in certain breeds) then eventually we will lose the breeds we have, or at least will end up with many breeds either not resembling their said breed, or not being able to do the job they were bred for.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I understand there are judges that prefer the straighter back so there is still scope there for obtaining a knowledgable critique for your dog.
"Prefer"? Is that what it boils down to then - what some judges prefer? So it's a fashion?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Hmm yes, possibly but I don't think anyone who is not inclined to join the spectacle of the show world should have to, just to justify breeding. There are other ways to evaluate breeding stock.
How many pet breeders would seek to have their dog/bitch evaluated? I fear not many in most cases.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Which breed Ramble? Good all rounders in what respect? Define "amazing"
Not about to go into specifics on this thread Moobli sorry...

For the record..good all rounders...happy healthy sociable friendly easy to train and very good examples of the breed. How do I know that??? I research research and research some more and talk to a LOT of people who know a LOT more than I do.
Amazing...well, just what I say really...they are amazing dogs..good all rounders, wonderful.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
On the subject of show breeders selling substandard stock to pet home, just because in the breeders opinion its not good enough to show it doesnt mean that the animals inferior just that the breeder prefers another form the litter.
What are we supposed to do wiht the ones that dont exactly meet the show standard if we dont sell them to pet home?
I think the point is that the pups that aren't suitable as show or working stock be sold to pet homes and therefore there is little or no need for pet breeders in the first place. There are more than enough pups to go round.
Page 26 of 54 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »