Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Methinks there is a lot of exaggerations made re CM and his methods
I think that works both ways........
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I sometimes "AH ah", I sometimes "Tssst" but "Oi" is my favourite. They don't cower they just stop what they're doing and look at me for guidance.

I say 'Oi!' too! It works really well with Bryan, especially if he's going somewhere I don't want him to (like through someone's garden gate).

Can't wait to get CM's book - ordered it last week.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
i say oi too! but would also praise !
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I think it would depend on what he was doing whether I would praise him or not.

We were told by Dog's Tust not to praise for things like getting a dog to get off your bed (if you don't want him on there). Their reasoning was the dog will keep jumping on the bed because he gets praise when he jumps off. Don't know how true this is?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I think it would depend on what he was doing whether I would praise him or not.

We were told by Dog's Tust not to praise for things like getting a dog to get off your bed (if you don't want him on there). Their reasoning was the dog will keep jumping on the bed because he gets praise when he jumps off. Don't know how true this is?
Depends on your timing id always praise a dog if it had done what i wanted to do, id also praise if it hadnt done anything wrong.

Id not praise the dog for getting off a bed, HOWEVER if i was teaching a dog to get off a bed (if it was a rescue & didnt know better) i would praise. Id praise it when it was on the floor though not for the jumping off!

For instance i watched a clip (link on here) where CM wanted a dog not to jump up, the dog was being SOOOO good, ie sitting & not jumping up & he would not allow the owner to praise her dog. This is teaching! dogs are clever & can learn! His way is very out of touch,& not so good at actual "teaching".(rather than showing)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Ok if I "Oi" in order to correct, once I have the correct behaviour I tend to say " that's better". I'm sure we all have our own phrases etc. I tend not to use the term good boy/girl, it would be more likely to be "you clever git" but each to their own.
I have my own view of what is acceptable behaviour as I'm sure we all do. The dogs understand what is expected of them, when they don't comply they get an "Oi". My dogs have lots of rewards, but rewards can be treats, praise, affection, attention or simply that grin that splits my face when they achieve something special.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Ok if I "Oi" in order to correct, once I have the correct behaviour I tend to say " that's better". I'm sure we all have our own phrases etc. I tend not to use the term good boy/girl, it would be more likely to be "you clever git" but each to their own.
I have my own view of what is acceptable behaviour as I'm sure we all do. The dogs understand what is expected of them, when they don't comply they get an "Oi". My dogs have lots of rewards, but rewards can be treats, praise, affection, attention or simply that grin that splits my face when they achieve something special.
Thats EXACTLY like me!!!!

Trouble have you seen the clip i posted on here about the collie. what did you think of the lack praise on that one? id be very interested on your take on it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Thats EXACTLY like me!!!!

Trouble have you seen the clip i posted on here about the collie. what did you think of the lack praise on that one? id be very interested on your take on it.
How far back was it?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
god knows near the start? i posted some, er micky taking links, then one about a BC, which i dint see as cruel, just had some reservations, sadly not one person commented on it!!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
post 126 page 13!!!!
Page 26 of 102 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 76 > Last »