Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
so carriers are bred from because no one knows.
Its VERY bad that a carry would be bred from WITHOUT the breeding knowing the dog Is a carrier but there Is nothing wrong with breeding from a carrier once you know and select a clear dog..Also testing all pups.
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Its VERY bad that a carry would be bred from WITHOUT the breeding knowing the dog Is a carrier but there Is nothing wrong with breeding from a carrier once you know and select a clear dog..Also testing all pups.
But if you don't test (because you don't have to or don't think you have to) you'd never know.
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

This has NOTHING to do with the KC (you seem to have a real issue with them?)

It has everything to do with the KC because

1. They should regulate and don't (its easy - your dog can be registered provided it has these health tests... no tests... no papers).

2. Breeders hide behind them and use them as sort of 'badge' - "My dogs are KC registered so they are good.."
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:29 PM
But if you don't test (because you don't have to or don't think you have to) you'd never know.

To true Elmo.. Mum tests because she wants to, because we care about any pups born Into her name and because Its the decent thing to do In our eyes when we know Its a breed that can suffer certain things.
Shame the KC and breed clubs havent put down any required or reccommended tests! That I will agree on.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Our toy is a rescue from a lady who had to go into a nursing home so we know all his history and (as far as I can see from the paperwork) has a long line from a "reputable" breeder. I don't think the breeder is the issue but the fact the "breed standard" does not insist on testing so carriers are bred from because no one knows.
Am I allowed to ask what lines he is from..? I don't know many toy breeders but I would like to get one in the future.

Health tests might not have been advanced a few years back etc. As for the breed standard.. my vet is totaly anti KC and showing (to the point he said Blu only has 1 testicle) but he said the poodle is one of the healthiest breeds to own aslong as they are health tested etc. He thinks poodles only really need PRA testing and he knows alot about testing.

Next time I'm at a show I'll ask my friend who own toys what health tests they do.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Sorry ... I was trying to be ironic (which I'm not too good at in print)
oops.. soz
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Am I allowed to ask what lines he is from..? I don't know many toy breeders but I would like to get one in the future.

Health tests might not have been advanced a few years back etc. As for the breed standard.. my vet is totaly anti KC and showing (to the point he said Blu only has 1 testicle) but he said the poodle is one of the healthiest breeds to own aslong as they are health tested etc. He thinks poodles only really need PRA testing and he knows alot about testing.

Next time I'm at a show I'll ask my friend who own toys what health tests they do.
I'd have to dig out the papers.. TBH papers aren't that highly valued in this house unless they carry any health records. But I think the breeder was local (Portsmouth area) not sure if there are that many...

... we love him to bits but he's really like a hypochondriac with all his "issues"...

... He's the one on the left

Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:36 PM
It has everything to do with the KC because

1. They should regulate and don't (its easy - your dog can be registered provided it has these health tests... no tests... no papers).

2. Breeders hide behind them and use them as sort of 'badge' - "My dogs are KC registered so they are good.."
1. The nature of the organisation means that they cannot insist (apparently)

2 BAD breeders hide behind it - you just missed off the first word.

But I stand by the fact - this does not have anything to do with the KC....this is to do with the breeders and their choices. Some choose to KC reg - others don't, some choose to test, others don't.

When push comes to shove it is the breeder who makes the call.
Drago
New Member!
Male 

24-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I been reading this with interest and have to have a say now.

Labradoodles (& all DD's) are NOT a breed, they are crosses, mutts, mongrels, heinz 57.

All of you with DD's dogs who refer to them by these silly made up names, boy you must really be embarrased with your your dogs to blatently lie about them ''ohh i've got a labradoodle!'' No, you've got a cross. Whats wrong - are you embarrased about your own dog?! If a had mix i'd say so ie ''what breeds that?'' - ''he's a Lab mix/cross''. etc.

Not just that why try to claim it's a purebreed when 95% of you DD owners have a severe problem with purebreeds eh?

I have found most DD owners to be ignorant & arrogant, who will instead have a pop at the KC or purebreeds as opposed to explain why they purposely bought a dog off a money grabbing BYB.

Yes, DD breeders are purely in it for money. There relying on the gullibility of people to flog living creatures. Every Designer puppy bought means another litter will be produced (from purebreeds - gasp)!

Before you DD owners play 'victim' i'll say this, yes a great deal of purebreeds should not be bred either, but then it's also purebreeds being used to produce your Designer dogs!

I own a Siberian Husky, the breed is thousands of years old and was selectively bred from wolves. It was not mixed from different dog breeds! Theres also 13 other ancient breeds that where not produced via mixing - so the 'all dogs started as crosses brigade', please get your facts straight!
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I'd have to dig out the papers.. TBH papers aren't that highly valued in this house unless they carry any health records. But I think the breeder was local (Portsmouth area) not sure if there are that many...

... we love him to bits but he's really like a hypochondriac with all his "issues"...

... He's the one on the left

Ah I thought he might have been from Kertellas lines possibly but as far as I know they as from Nottingham.

I love poodles when they get old. Can't wait for Blu to turn grey because they look so cute
Page 26 of 53 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »