Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
I do
I always aim to keep a puppy but it's not always possible. I've had six litters including the singleton and kept out of 4 of them.
The two I didnt keep out of were both by Libby Bell the first we kept a dog but he wasn't big enough to show and his sister lived locally, her new owners wanted another dog for company for her and she used to play with Ben when she came to be trimmed so he went to live with them. I still see them both regularily though and he has a lovely life.
The second litter had all sold except for one girl we intended to keep. I had a puppy enquiry from a local family who's daughter had been badly bitten by a dog but had fallen in love with the paper girls Welsh. I sold them the last girl as I thought it better to get the daughter a dog before she changed her mind.
Oh and I have a litter at the moment I dont think I'm keeping out of, mainly because all the girls have too much white on to show and I cant really keep a dog.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I dont feel every breeder needs to keep from every litter - as long as it was the aim - someone breeding for a working/show dog or something similar will possibly not keep a pup if none of the pups meet the criteria needed. I see no problem with that.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I dont feel every breeder needs to keep from every litter - as long as it was the aim - someone breeding for a working/show dog or something similar will possibly not keep a pup if none of the pups meet the criteria needed. I see no problem with that.
Thats what I was trying to illustrate.....badly lol
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
In one breath you say everyone breeds to make money, then in the next you imply you won't be making any money (only selling the additional puppies for what they cost you) from your litter. So which is it?

Not EVERYONE who breeds does it to make money. In general PF's do, BYB do, designer/fashion breeders do. All of which results in badly vetted homes, impulse buying of which the end result is, more than likely, dogs being dumped because the novelty has worn off or because the buyer can't cope with a designer dog who has all the bad attributes of both pedigree parents, as opposed to all the best attributes which the majority of designer dog breeders use as patter to sell their puppies! THIS is what makes my blood boil and the dogs ALWAYS suffer as a result!!!

If you belong to the above paragraph, then yes you would be an irresponsible breeder, but I have never implied that you do.
Irresponsible breeders in general add to the problem, whether they breed pedigrees or crosses. I hate puppy farms, irresponsible breeders and puppy traffickers.

My comment wasn't directed towards you at all, I just don't like the idea that anyone who does breed crosses are represented as BYBs. Once I have worked how much the puppies have cost me, I may add a small amount on to cover my time in raising them, but I wouldn't say that I would be purely doing it for the money, as I am doing it to keep a pup.

I do sometimes get a bit ranty about peoples' opinions of breeding crosses.

Besides that round here I see more staffys than any cross breeds and rescue centres are full of them! Don't forget it's not only "designer breeds" that are popular atm, huskies, staffys, gsd, boxers, mastiffs are all very popular and many are being rehomed or ending up in rescues.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:57 PM
General cross breeders are irresponsible, as are breeding for no vaild reasons - Other than the odd breeder crossing for working dogs, and them out crossing to improve a breeds health..
There is no vaild reason (apart from them above) to cross breed. People are in it to supply the demand, that they them selves are causing. To me making such a big market only proves what their aim is - to make money.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post
Admittedly, I will only sell the additional puppies for what they cost me
Once I have worked how much the puppies have cost me, I may add a small amount on to cover my time in raising them
well which one is it! If you up the price from what the pups have costs you by X amount to cover your time, you would be doing so to make a profit, no matter how you want to sugar coat it.. You might be breeding to keep a pup but by the sounds of things will be aiming to make a profit on any puppies you dont keep
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
General cross breeders are irresponsible, as are breeding for no vaild reasons .
Generally those that breed purebred dogs are also breeding for no valid reasons and would also be considered irresponsible as they do not fully health screen and are pandering to sell to the pet market.

There are very few exceptional breeders that do otherwise in both purebred breeding or crossbred breeding.

There are good and bad in both which was the point I read from Vikki's posts, yet darts are often thrown at only the crossbreeders without mention of the purebred breeders doing the same (only half the story then) . . . . . just sayin'.

Ruby
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:20 PM
EVERYONE who breeds dogs does so to make a bit of money, if they are going to keep a puppy, then fine, but how many breeders of both pedigrees and cross breeds keep a puppy from EVERY litter? If they didn't do it to make any money at all, the puppies wouldn't cost so much (i.e: £1000+ for a potentially problem riddled pug!).

I intend to breed my dogs this year, mainly because I want to keep a puppy and as they are working dogs I am trying to better my team! Admittedly, I will only sell the additional puppies for what they cost me and I will offer to take the pups back at any stage of their lives - so none should go into rescue! The puppies will be coming with a puppy pack and have their 1st injections. I already have a home lined up for one and my bitch isn't even due her season yet!

They will be cross breeds! So from the info above do I sound irresponsible?
Honestly...You dont sound the most responsible. You only have one home lined up, have not mentioned any health tests..(unless I have missed it?) Theres alot more to being a decent breeder than breeding for yourself to have a pup.
How old is your girl, and the male.
Having the pups first vacc done, and sending them away with a pup pack makes you no better of a breeder. I would advise either having none or both injections done, vets use different things and sometimes make new owners have the pups re done..Over vacc'ing in young dogs is dangerous.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Generally those that breed purebred dogs are also breeding for no valid reasons and are irresponsible as they do not fully health screen and are pandering to sell to the pet market.

There are very few exceptional breeders that do otherwise in both purebred breeding or crossbred breeding.

There are good and bad in both which was the point I read from Vikki's posts, yet darts are often thrown at only the crossbreeders without mention of the purebred breeders doing the same (only half the story then) . . . . . just sayin'.

Ruby
I am fully aware of the bad in the pedigree world, but then again this thread isnt about pedigree dogs or breeders, so I have no reason to be bringing it up. Gets abit boring someone jumping in to every thread, suggesting members dont know the bad in the pedigree world, most do - just dont need to mention it in a thread thats nothing to do with pedigree dogs

But then again I am not a supporter of soley pet breeders in either pedigrees or crosses.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Gets abit boring someone jumping in to every thread, suggesting members dont know the bad in the pedigree world, most do - just dont need to mention it in a thread thats nothing to do with pedigree dogs

But then again I am not a supporter of soley pet breeders in either pedigrees or crosses.
When pedigree breeding is being put forward as the alternative example then it is valid to ponder, especially as the conversation was moving forward from this point made by Vikki, about 'which' add to rescue. I was supporting this point which I believe is a valid one.

Besides that round here I see more staffys than any cross breeds and rescue centres are full of them! Don't forget it's not only "designer breeds" that are popular atm, huskies, staffys, gsd, boxers, mastiffs are all very popular and many are being rehomed or ending up in rescues.
Ruby
Page 26 of 28 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 >