Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Dont forget this.
Oh okay, perhaps I shouldn't have said (if not all) That may be taking it a bit far. As Shona pointed out, I suppose I am speaking basing my opinion on my experiences of my own dogs and those owned by friends/family.

I therefore take back what I said about if not all as clearly some dogs will be perfectly okay on lead all the time ... but not my dogs.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I most probably am Shona, as well as dogs/breeds I know (ie owned by friends/family etc).
we all tend to base our opinions on experiance, nothing wrong with that at all.

on the other side of the coin, the first dog I ever owned was a farm bread BC, No amount of off lead running was enough for him, he was a nutter from birth to death lol he may well have been kicked in the head by a cow as a pup or somit lol, he was just whacko, obed did help him, but I always felt the dog was not fulfilled, poss he should have went to a working home?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
this is a good point, its not a situation I have found myself in with my own dogs, but I do know of dogs that need to be on lead, some of there owners do more than others to keep there dogs happy and healthy some dont.

many toy breed owners dont let there dogs off lead for a lot of diff reasons, I truely feel they dont feel the same pressure of having to free run there dogs.
I have a guy who comes training - he has 4 poms and 2 papillions...

One of the Paps has been coming training now for 3 1/2 years....there is honestly not much more I can train it! Its brilliant - he also takes it to agility classes, and to ringcraft - he shows it all over the country...it has every interactive toy on the market, and its own mini agility set, it goes out lead walking every day and he often takes it to work as well (he has a pet shop).....but it never goes off the lead. Recall is fantastic, but he is worried about what another dog could do to it. I think he will be the same with Pap number 2....but its only 4 months old at the moment

The Poms don't seem to be as keen on things - (he still brings them training to me and to ringcraft and takes them to shows) they just don't seem to have the same energy levels.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
You mean you just dont go to the park, let her off lead and do as she pleases!!!:
No. I know it is awful of me and I feel bad all the time about it.
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Don't know, I have no idea what Boxers are like in terms of energy level. The only ones we ever see are on the lead because they are aggressive. They are not bred for endurance and to work and hunt though, so I guess they have a different kind of energy to the energy I'm talking about.
The energy your dog has...take it and multiply it by a lot then you might have a Boxer's energy level (PLus throw in heaps of ...well...personality!!!)
As you say, you dont know them!!

Put it this way, we have friends with extremely high energy gundogs, and my Boxers can leave then standing in the energy and endurance levels.
I'll bet
Phew! Thank god someone is actually reading my posts fully! I said certain and some dogs - and I stand by that statement going on my own personal experiences. No where did I say this Dogsey member or that Dogsey member is being cruel to their dog. Nor did I say that everyone who keeps their dog on a lead all the time is being cruel.

Please read my posts fully before telling me I am being patronising etc etc

Ramble - I am not saying that you should do this or you should do that. I am telling you my opinion on whether dogs (in general, and in my experiences) need to run free and I stand by the comments I made that I feel that MANY dogs need to run free to live a full and happy life. That does not mean that your dogs don't lead a full and happy life, so please don't take it so personally.
Kirsty perhaps YOU should read your posts as frankly they do come across as being both patronising and downright rude. To say not walking 'some' dogs offlead is cruel with no reference to what dogs etc is pointing the finger at people like me who work bloomin hard on a daily basis with their dog who was ruined by someone who trained her to 'work'. She is happy and fulfilled and for there to even be the slightest inference that I am being cruel to her...sorry Kirsty but no. It's not acceptable to come onto a thread like this and throw a word like 'cruel' around.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I have a guy who comes training - he has 4 poms and 2 papillions...

One of the Paps has been coming training now for 3 1/2 years....there is honestly not much more I can train it! Its brilliant - he also takes it to agility classes, and to ringcraft - he shows it all over the country...it has every interactive toy on the market, and its own mini agility set, it goes out lead walking every day and he often takes it to work as well (he has a pet shop).....but it never goes off the lead. Recall is fantastic, but he is worried about what another dog could do to it. I think he will be the same with Pap number 2....but its only 4 months old at the moment

The Poms don't seem to be as keen on things - (he still brings them training to me and to ringcraft and takes them to shows) they just don't seem to have the same energy levels.
I can understand his point in a way, what chance does a pap have if something takes a grip of it,

I would love to get my hands on a pap for training, they are fab wee dogs, I may even have one when Im older, along side my rottie of course. lol
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I can understand his point in a way, what chance does a pap have if something takes a grip of it,

I would love to get my hands on a pap for training, they are fab wee dogs, I may even have one when Im older, along side my rottie of course. lol
He is a fantastic dog - really keen and up for anything....I love him

He has been attacked twice by a dog at thier agility class though and now is terrified of spaniels
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh okay, perhaps I shouldn't have said (if not all) That may be taking it a bit far. As Shona pointed out, I suppose I am speaking basing my opinion on my experiences of my own dogs and those owned by friends/family.

I therefore take back what I said about if not all as clearly some dogs will be perfectly okay on lead all the time ... but not my dogs.
When have you ever tried to only lead walk your dogs?

Do Paps make funny noises, like a hissy sound when they breath? Someone we know has 4 that are always onlead...Cosmo is fascinated by them...not in a good way I don't think. He also has a huge GSD though
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
none of the paps I have seen have had any breathing problems, poss you are thinking of the chin?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
When have you ever tried to only lead walk your dogs?

Do Paps make funny noises, like a hissy sound when they breath? Someone we know has 4 that are always onlead...Cosmo is fascinated by them...not in a good way I don't think. He also has a huge GSD though
Not the ones I have met...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Ahhh I thought they were paps...I'm sure he said they were.
Maybe they just spit at Cosmo Bless him.
Page 26 of 46 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 > Last »