Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
green eyed monster ...dont think so! i dont know any decent breeder/dog lover who wants to see their breed's popularity boom! ...the only reason im saddened that crossbreeds are becoming ever more popular is because it only means more dogs are being exploited which = more puppies churned out in an already oversaturated pet market .
Which often results in yet more dogs in rescue centres, or worse still more dogs pts because there is no room left in rescue centres because of designer dog breeders churning out puppies to make money!

It never fails to amaze me that people who buy these dogs can't see why that is a problem to most dog lovers?!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
It is just when you hear the owners coming out with the "urban myth" of "we get the best of both breeds this way" that you despair. Equally true you may get the worst of both breeds too!
Yep - I've got a mutt, he's a mutt pure and simple but there's quite a heavy amount of Collie and German Shepherd in there - two really intelligent breeds, so you'd think using the best of both worlds idea that I'd have a doggy Einstein.

Two short planks would be more intelligent than him on a good day - he's a plank, an adorable, loveable plank but he's not a brainiac.
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
EVERYONE who breeds dogs does so to make a bit of money, if they are going to keep a puppy, then fine, but how many breeders of both pedigrees and cross breeds keep a puppy from EVERY litter? If they didn't do it to make any money at all, the puppies wouldn't cost so much (i.e: £1000+ for a potentially problem riddled pug!).

I intend to breed my dogs this year, mainly because I want to keep a puppy and as they are working dogs I am trying to better my team! Admittedly, I will only sell the additional puppies for what they cost me and I will offer to take the pups back at any stage of their lives - so none should go into rescue! The puppies will be coming with a puppy pack and have their 1st injections. I already have a home lined up for one and my bitch isn't even due her season yet!

They will be cross breeds! So from the info above do I sound irresponsible?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Which often results in yet more dogs in rescue centres, or worse still more dogs pts because there is no room left in rescue centres because of designer dog breeders churning out puppies to make money!

It never fails to amaze me that people who buy these dogs can't see why that is a problem to most dog lovers?!
Exactly yet some people a totally blinkered to this and ive seen the same folk say that those with opposing views to them actually hate their dogs for being crosses wot rubbish!...they couldnt be further from the truth, i could never hate any animal.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post
EVERYONE who breeds dogs does so to make a bit of money, if they are going to keep a puppy, then fine, but how many breeders of both pedigrees and cross breeds keep a puppy from EVERY litter?
I do
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
green eyed monster ...dont think so! i dont know any decent breeder/dog lover who wants to see their breed's popularity boom! .
To right! I remember when mum first started researching and looking at adding a CC to the family there was hardly any about, certainly not pasted all over puppy selling sites..Years later their every where, from the wrong sort of breeders I find that sad
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
To right! I remember when mum first started researching and looking at adding a CC to the family there was hardly any about, certainly not pasted all over puppy selling sites..Years later their every where, from the wrong sort of breeders I find that sad
exactly whats happened with sibes DD it breaks my heart, plus they are crossing them with everything
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:08 PM
CCs are being crossed with all sorts to, Poodles, Cocker Spaniels, Shar Peis, Chihuahua, Maltese, Bichons, Cavs, JRT. ect. ect!
Even people putting 'stud' adverts up, stating the CC can mate any small breed!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post
EVERYONE who breeds dogs does so to make a bit of money, if they are going to keep a puppy, then fine, but how many breeders of both pedigrees and cross breeds keep a puppy from EVERY litter? If they didn't do it to make any money at all, the puppies wouldn't cost so much (i.e: £1000+ for a potentially problem riddled pug!).

I intend to breed my dogs this year, mainly because I want to keep a puppy and as they are working dogs I am trying to better my team! Admittedly, I will only sell the additional puppies for what they cost me and I will offer to take the pups back at any stage of their lives - so none should go into rescue! The puppies will be coming with a puppy pack and have their 1st injections. I already have a home lined up for one and my bitch isn't even due her season yet!

They will be cross breeds! So from the info above do I sound irresponsible?
In one breath you say everyone breeds to make money, then in the next you imply you won't be making any money (only selling the additional puppies for what they cost you) from your litter. So which is it?

Not EVERYONE who breeds does it to make money. In general PF's do, BYB do, designer/fashion breeders do. All of which results in badly vetted homes, impulse buying of which the end result is, more than likely, dogs being dumped because the novelty has worn off or because the buyer can't cope with a designer dog who has all the bad attributes of both pedigree parents, as opposed to all the best attributes which the majority of designer dog breeders use as patter to sell their puppies! THIS is what makes my blood boil and the dogs ALWAYS suffer as a result!!!

If you belong to the above paragraph, then yes you would be an irresponsible breeder, but I have never implied that you do.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
As a lover of the acd I'm glad that my breed isn't as popular as the Aussie shepherd or the BC because with popularity comes unscrupulous breeding! But with ACD's its easy to tell at least in the states if an ACD breeder is legit is if their breeding dogs have tails or not.
Page 25 of 28 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >