Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You see when Tango is onlead I let her sniff wherever, we vary routes all the time (I sometimes double back on myself several times on a walk), we have training sessions built in, TTouch, searchinh for food in the grass games, retrieve games, the list is endless Hali. She doesn't have the chance to miss the lead not being clipped off.
You mean you just dont go to the park, let her off lead and do as she pleases!!!:
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
you mean like my Boxers??
Don't know, I have no idea what Boxers are like in terms of energy level. The only ones we ever see are on the lead because they are aggressive. They are not bred for endurance and to work and hunt though, so I guess they have a different kind of energy to the energy I'm talking about.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Don't know, I have no idea what Boxers are like in terms of energy level. The only ones we ever see are on the lead because they are aggressive. They are not bred for endurance and to work and hunt though, so I guess they have a different kind of energy to the energy I'm talking about.
As you say, you dont know them!!

Put it this way, we have friends with extremely high energy gundogs, and my Boxers can leave then standing in the energy and endurance levels.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
To be fair, I don't think Moobli said that keeping all dogs on lead is cruel, but SOME dogs. Which is a perfectly fair point IMO.
Phew! Thank god someone is actually reading my posts fully! I said certain and some dogs - and I stand by that statement going on my own personal experiences. No where did I say this Dogsey member or that Dogsey member is being cruel to their dog. Nor did I say that everyone who keeps their dog on a lead all the time is being cruel.

Please read my posts fully before telling me I am being patronising etc etc

Ramble - I am not saying that you should do this or you should do that. I am telling you my opinion on whether dogs (in general, and in my experiences) need to run free and I stand by the comments I made that I feel that MANY dogs need to run free to live a full and happy life. That does not mean that your dogs don't lead a full and happy life, so please don't take it so personally.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Of the people who feel that the dogs need to have the off lead.....how many have tried structured training and stimulating on lead stuff for any length of time? Just out of curiosity?

(personally I never have - I have helped people who have had to, but it has always been a spur of the moment thing due to injurys....not well thought out and rushed into)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Originally

I think from all the above you can see she does!!!!!!!
I think you are reading different posts to me! SOME dogs, CERTAIN dog, MOST dog .... ???
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
are you thinking of the breeds/dogs you own?

as I said in an ideal world yup all dogs would have free time off lead,

but, not all dogs crave it, I know we have not been lucky enough to meet up on a walk yet, hopefuly it will happen, but im sure hali can confirm, when vinnie is let off lead he may go have a wee mooch around but most of the time hes about 1.5 feet behind me his choice, not mine,

kaos enjoys his a bit more, but is still never far away from me,

not all dogs need/or want to romp for miles off lead,

Yes you can argue that vinnie gets off lead all the time, but so often he doesnt do much with it unless I play with him and throw toys

ETA: I would rather see a dog on lead as in the rescue kennels as the owner cant cope any more, or even worse dead.

so my last word is, for those that can allow there dogs off lead, great

for those that cant for whatever reason, so long as the dog is well looked after, its not the end of the world,

some poor dogs never get walked on lead or off lead....but stuck in back yards

climbs back on fence to dangle legs lol..
I most probably am Shona, as well as dogs/breeds I know (ie owned by friends/family etc).
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think you are reading different posts to me! SOME dogs, CERTAIN dog, MOST dog .... ???
Dont forget this.
As far as I am concerned, I believe that most (if not all) dogs do NEED to have a good run on a regular basis for their happiness and well being.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
This concludes this whole thread for me. Sums it up nicely.

Some dogs do not need to be off lead.
Yes, and some dogs do!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Of the people who feel that the dogs need to have the off lead.....how many have tried structured training and stimulating on lead stuff for any length of time? Just out of curiosity?

(personally I never have - I have helped people who have had to, but it has always been a spur of the moment thing due to injurys....not well thought out and rushed into)
this is a good point, its not a situation I have found myself in with my own dogs, but I do know of dogs that need to be on lead, some of there owners do more than others to keep there dogs happy and healthy some dont.

many toy breed owners dont let there dogs off lead for a lot of diff reasons, I truely feel they dont feel the same pressure of having to free run there dogs.
Page 25 of 46 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 > Last »