Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I did suspect some irony... however, from an animal welfare point, which is what you are obviously concerned about, it makes perfect sense.
From an animal welfare POV it would make better sense not to put the horse in that position in the first place.

Wouldn't it?

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I`m sorry DD, but I may be thick here, but I really dont understand your point.

What on earth has a horse hitting grass again (what does that mean) prove that all isnot rosey for the horse??
The horses reaction to the being back on grass, huffing about, and pawing the ground..cant make that any more clear JB.
when you see a horse reacting in a certain way its only nature for you to form an opinion on that animals 'state of mind' or what ever you would call it..
I stated some reason why I thought they could be stressed, I also form the opinion from seeing things...

How have you formed the opinion that their not stressed?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

A pot hole. A pot hole? Are you guys having a laugh?

If that's a common occurrence then I would expect every rider to go out there and do the responsible thing. Peruse the path or 'course' to make sure it is safe.

Argh well Azz, if only people could go out and fill in every hole in the country side they may come across, then you could have a point.

But the practicalities make then a little hard to do.

If people can't look out for the welfare of the animals in their care they shouldn't own them.

Point being, people do, but life has a habit of throwing the unknown at you.

My answer is people who choose to own horses should do what they can to ensure they are not put at risk, and are cared for properly and responsibly - and most certainly should not be exploited by people who are clearly not animal lovers to make a buck or two.
Huge assumption there, me thinks!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Dawn, sometimes you are quite adorable, mon petit chau fleur.
Why thank you.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
A pot hole. A pot hole? Are you guys having a laugh?

If that's a common occurrence then I would expect every rider to go out there and do the responsible thing. Peruse the path or 'course' to make sure it is safe.

If people can't look out for the welfare of the animals in their care they shouldn't own them.

My answer is people who choose to own horses should do what they can to ensure they are not put at risk, and are cared for properly and responsibly - and most certainly should not be exploited by people who are clearly not animal lovers to make a buck or two.
The horse who died on the beach broke her leg by stepping in a 3inch deep hole.... broke her leg so bad that it was hanging by the skin only. There was blood, and screaming. We had 2 other horses on the beach, and one of the riders was only 16. You cannot imagine what that was like, and how traumatised we all were, and still are!

You can't always check every single course/path/bridleway to that extent. We would always walk a cross country course, but all it takes is a mis-step, an unseen rabbit hole or divot, a person on a cycle pulling out in front of the horse, a driver not going round the horse/rider wide enough.

Although you are riding the horse, you can't control exactly where it steps....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The horses reaction to the being back on grass, huffing about, and pawing the ground..cant make that any more clear JB.

I thought that was your meaning, just needed you to clarify it thats all. when you see a horse reacting in a certain way its only nature for you to form an opinion on that animals 'state of mind' or what ever you would call it..

I see,

I stated some reason why I thought they could be stressed, I also form the opinion from seeing things...

How have you formed the opinion that their not stressted?
By being round them for most of my life, I kind of know what a stressed horse looks like.

Pawing the ground when turned out to grass, an incresed heart rate does not add up to a stressed horse.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
By being round them for most of my life, I kind of know what a stressed horse looks like.

Pawing the ground when turned out to grass, an incresed heart rate does not add up to a stressed horse.
again I didnt say it did..I stated some behaviours, then went on to say that its only nature to try and figure it
so we shall agree to disagree. I think its a vile sport that is just for humans entertainment...anyone that supports it, supports the death of the animals that dont make it...

as you have been around them you could may be answer me this - if there are 18.000 bred a year but only a third make it to races..what happens to the rest? Talk has it that most are sold as meat or destroyed?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Huge assumption there, me thinks!!
Not at all JB, if people want to own a horse then surely they should do everything possible to look after it properly and responsibly?

I would also view horse racing and people who keep horses for the love of them as two very different things. The former is the kind of exploitation I dislike most.

The horse who died on the beach broke her leg by stepping in a 3inch deep hole.... broke her leg so bad that it was hanging by the skin only. There was blood, and screaming. We had 2 other horses on the beach, and one of the riders was only 16. You cannot imagine what that was like, and how traumatised we all were, and still are!

You can't always check every single course/path/bridleway to that extent. We would always walk a cross country course, but all it takes is a mis-step, an unseen rabbit hole or divot, a person on a cycle pulling out in front of the horse, a driver not going round the horse/rider wide enough.

Although you are riding the horse, you can't control exactly where it steps....
I must say I find that pretty extraordinary - how do horses survive in the wild? Or maybe it's the extra load that's causing the problems?

If it really is that hazardous to the health of a horse, then I would hope people reflect on whether they should be putting horses to such risk for their own pleasure after all. If they really love horses, that is.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
as you have been around them you could may be answer me this - if there are 18.000 bred a year but only a third make it to races..what happens to the rest? Talk has it that most are sold as meat or destroyed?
Or sold as 'pets', or used as training horses, or go to riding schools, or used as horses for other forms of competitions....
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Or sold as 'pets', or used as training horses, or go to riding schools, or used as horses for other forms of competitions....
so its not true that most are sold for meat or destroyed? Seems thats the opinions, as there are so many and few homes wanting?
Page 25 of 52 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 > Last »