Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Ear cropping
like 12 8.51%
dislike 124 87.94%
dont care 0 0%
sitting on the fence 5 3.55%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 25 of 30 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 > Last »
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Can I just mention that my spayed bitch is 12 years old and her continence is more under control than mine......
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by horses01466 View Post
This may not be relevant....but i heard from different vets that spaying a bitch can make her incontinent when she is older.......hmm, not nice either

Approximately 3% of bitches develop spay incontinence. However, its easy to resolve and therefore is a non-problem - spay incontinence controlled by propalin prevents it being an issue at all, that won`t kill - pyometra does
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
Pyometra is rare in females under the age of 6yrs it usually accures in older females,
Not true.

there are signs to look for after a season a female will loose a discharge before a season, if she is loosing one after get her to the vets certainly if it smells, and if your vet thinks that it's pyometra then get her spayed,
Also not true in the case of closed pyo, [ which my girl had ]. Closed pyo give no outward symptoms - until its too late.

not at 6,12,18 months old when she isn't mentally mature
Spay has no impact on mental maturity, the hormones involved affect physical maturity - and are in place by the age of 5 months on average. Mental maturity is down to genetics and environment

and is in a million to 1 bracket.
Hmmm, at the time my girl had Pyo I had two girls, her and one other.
The other was spayed already so is not valid for a statistical calculation.
Therefore it put my girl in the 100% bracket, not the million to one.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
Raven my youngest male one his class earlier in the year beating 5 other junior dogs which included 2 cropped dog's ears don't come in to it, it's the overall confirmation of the dog itself, Raven was just the better dog on the day.

Mo and the Gang

That kinda throws the clinging to `breed standard` excuse out the window then...
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
In some cases it can make a difference - a very beneficial one
In very young neuter, [ 8 weeks as it usual in the US ], growth plate closure is sometimes slightly slowed, resulting in better bone density and strength. It by no means happens in all cases but when it does happen, its a beneficial bonus
Indeed. My point was that it does not have a negative effect as the original poster was trying to imply
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Not true.

Also not true in the case of closed pyo, [ which my girl had ]. Closed pyo give no outward symptoms - until its too late.

Spay has no impact on mental maturity, the hormones involved affect physical maturity - and are in place by the age of 5 months on average. Mental maturity is down to genetics and environment

Hmmm, at the time my girl had Pyo I had two girls, her and one other.
The other was spayed already so is not valid for a statistical calculation.
Therefore it put my girl in the 100% bracket, not the million to one.
Couldnt agree more on all points
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I think if you do some serious research there is nothing to suggest that it does affect growth rates, if tehre is, I would like to have the links to the studies done.
Here ya go

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

http://www.geocities.com/thesheltiepage/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.thewagway.com/Behviour%20...and_neuter.htm

The difference is minimal in those it affects, fractions of an inch taller at most basically
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
so dogs can still have pups if spayed or castrated??
Are you a responsible owner? Do you or would you let your bitch out in season? WHy do you think its acceptable to give a healthy dog a GA, and remove bits of it when there is nothing wrong with it? Would that be acceptable in people? I mean if we cut off our boobs we would not be able to get breast cancer, right??
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Are you a responsible owner? Do you or would you let your bitch out in season? WHy do you think its acceptable to give a healthy dog a GA, and remove bits of it when there is nothing wrong with it? Would that be acceptable in people? I mean if we cut off our boobs we would not be able to get breast cancer, right??
Well the last time I looked, I couldnt have children 'via' my boobs !!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Approximately 3% of bitches develop spay incontinence. However, its easy to resolve and therefore is a non-problem - spay incontinence controlled by propalin prevents it being an issue at all, that won`t kill - pyometra does
Patch I dont think thats a very good point, saying if the dog is incontinent because of spaying there is a solution, more drugs!! Not to mention that Propalin can have nasty side effects and is not successful in many cases, and also drugs like Stilbeostrol (sp)and incurin has adverse effects on bitches, often driving males nuts as they smell like they are in season. Its not the best idea in the world to take bits out "in case" (like docking eh ) or use an excuse like preventing unwanted puppies as a valid reason for routine neutering, when being a normal responsible owner will prevent ANY unwanted puppies.
Page 25 of 30 « First < 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 > Last »