Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Sorry to go back this long on a thread but this caugth my interest. Why do you you find this so distastful? The birds are released the birds are shot, the birds are dead, what's the difference, the birds dont know how they've been shot so whats the difference?
If you know the first bit about shooting, you would understand why this is distasteful.

Birds are not shot indiscriminately, they are shot when they fly above the guns as to provide a legitimate target, and there is some evidence that partridge are evolving to fly low. These are red legged partridge I might point out, which are not a native species.

If a bird flies high, and if the gun is fair, it's a good chance the bird will survive. If you look a tower, it will be a matter of tens of feet high, not hundreds of feet, and the guns surround the tower, hardly sporting.

One quote from my OH which I love, on partaking of a shoot during a syndicate appointment, he took a peg dog, he didn't agree with the other guns adjacent to him, who shot indiscriminately at anything that moved. On asking to use his peg dog to retrieve a bird, he politely asked 'which bit' and then moved off. Anyone who behaves in that way on a shoot isn't generally welcomed back, not the OH, the other guys
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Nothing from the rspb will persuade me I'm afraid, I don't trust them one bit.

I asked you a question, you haven't answered it. Do you not believe sparrowhawks are responsible for the decline in some areas of our native species?

I can tell you from experience, I live in a row of cottages in the middle of nowhere, only once have I hard the garden birds calling in alarm in unison, I know there are two cats who are local to the area, neither hang about near my propty as the dogs bark at them. I wandered down into the garden the last time I heard the alarm calls, looked over the wall of the neighbouring proeprty, and a sparrowhawk made off with a young blackbird. It's not the first or last as they nest in this area.

I trust the rspb as far as I can sipt the anacronism, their figures mean nothing to me as long as they lie about their own stance on preservation. They deem it fit to allow an alien speices to predate on a protected raptor species, well, talk about pot calling kettle black!
The conclusion of this study, by both BTO and GWCT says it all really Jo.

http://www.bto.org/news-events/press...gbird-declines

This is a high quality study based on unique long-term and large-scale datasets. Despite the limitations noted below (notes to editors) this robust study found that, for the majority of the songbird species examined, there is no evidence that increases in common avian predators and grey squirrels are associated with large-scale depression of prey abundance or population declines. It is also clear that, for the majority of declining species with unfavourable conservation status population, declines appear to be due to factors other than predation.

Other studies have suggested that over the period of this study, songbird population changes have been influenced by a range of other factors, most notably changes in farmland and woodland management
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
The conclusion of this study, by both BTO and GWCT says it all really Jo.

http://www.bto.org/news-events/press...gbird-declines

This is a high quality study based on unique long-term and large-scale datasets. Despite the limitations noted below (notes to editors) this robust study found that, for the majority of the songbird species examined, there is no evidence that increases in common avian predators and grey squirrels are associated with large-scale depression of prey abundance or population declines. It is also clear that, for the majority of declining species with unfavourable conservation status population, declines appear to be due to factors other than predation.

Other studies have suggested that over the period of this study, songbird population changes have been influenced by a range of other factors, most notably changes in farmland and woodland management
Who are BTO, it's not obvious from their website?

You have to be kidding re avian predators and grey squirrels? If you haven't seen this for youself you're lucky, I'm lucky in that where I live, grey squirrels are not prevalent, but they are here, and they are bl**dy awful predators of our garden/song species birds. To think otherwise is simply naieve
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:21 PM
If you know the first bit about shooting, you would understand why this is distasteful.

Birds are not shot indiscriminately, they are shot when they fly above the guns as to provide a legitimate target, and there is some evidence that partridge are evolving to fly low. These are red legged partridge I might point out, which are not a native species.

If a bird flies high, and if the gun is fair, it's a good chance the bird will survive. If you look a tower, it will be a matter of tens of feet high, not hundreds of feet, and the guns surround the tower, hardly sporting.

One quote from my OH which I love, on partaking of a shoot during a syndicate appointment, he took a peg dog, he didn't agree with the other guns adjacent to him, who shot indiscriminately at anything that moved. On asking to use his peg dog to retrieve a bird, he politely asked 'which bit' and then moved off. Anyone who behaves in that way on a shoot isn't generally welcomed back, not the OH, the other guys
Absolutely agree with this. My OH shoots and is often disgusted by the attitude of certain other people (not on his shoot i might add). I've watched him shoot and he has a clean kill every time, he never tries a pot shot at a bird, or a fox for that matter

He would be shocked at this tower idea. The whole point is meant to be the effort and skill involved in hnting, not just blasting things apart for fun
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Who are BTO, it's not obvious from their website?

You have to be kidding re avian predators and grey squirrels? If you haven't seen this for youself you're lucky, I'm lucky in that where I live, grey squirrels are not prevalent, but they are here, and they are bl**dy awful predators of our garden/song species birds. To think otherwise is simply naieve
British Trust for Ornithology, i thought all bird lovers had heard of them http://www.bto.org/about-bto

they are not political in any way they are well respected by all i believe.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
British Trust for Ornithology, i thought all bird lovers had heard of them http://www.bto.org/about-bto

they are not political in any way they are well respected by all i believe.
The RSPB are also non political, nor are the RSPcA apparently, I won't have anything to do with either of them I'm afraid.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 09:52 PM
The RSPB are also non political, nor are the RSPcA apparently, I won't have anything to do with either of them I'm afraid.
no i didnt think you would Jo ...so what are your thoughts on the GWCT who also took part in that research then?...bet they were hoping the study would show different results aswell lol, then they could push for a cull hey

BTO collect data Jo, theyre nothing like the RSPB ...they are impartial hence why they are respected by all...except maybe by you lol
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Absolutely agree with this. My OH shoots and is often disgusted by the attitude of certain other people (not on his shoot i might add). I've watched him shoot and he has a clean kill every time, he never tries a pot shot at a bird, or a fox for that matter

He would be shocked at this tower idea. The whole point is meant to be the effort and skill involved in hnting, not just blasting things apart for fun
Well I'm sure all those dead birds are truely chuffed that they've been shot by some one is only shooting it for ..... sorry dont quite see the difference here about someone shooting for effort and skill (surely he knows he has that by now so wjy carry on) and someone shooting for fun? What does he do it for? It cant be for control purposes.

I take it he gets no 'fun' out of this from what you say.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Well I'm sure all those dead birds are truely chuffed that they've been shot by some one is only shooting it for ..... sorry dont quite see the difference here about someone shooting for effort and skill (surely he knows he has that by now so wjy carry on) and someone shooting for fun? What does he do it for? It cant be for control purposes.
you said it already...they do it for fun
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 10:47 PM

I take it he gets no 'fun' out of this from what you say.
The point being a hunter shooting with effort and skill will kill cleanly aiming for instantaneous death and therefore less suffering to the animal. Shooting indiscriminately will cause horrible wounds far more frequently causing more suffering. Obvious when you think about it.....
Page 24 of 31 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 > Last »