Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I can understand why you you haven't read through the whole thread with your connection speed but I had to laugh because yours was very similar argument to mine
I have read it all now Hali - and it took over an hour However, I am pleased my argument is very like yours, because you always speak sense
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
and this backs up my argument nicely.

I would rather a dog be safe on lead then un-safe off lead because it's owner thinks it ''needs' to be off lead.
And I think you will find that most of us advocating allowing a dog to run will agree with this. BUT I've said that most people I know who have dogs that can't be allowed off lead for aggression or lack of recall or too high a prey drive will find places to allow the dog safe places to run free. not necessarily every day, but mixed in with the various other things they do to balance their dogs lives.

I don't think any of us is advocating something that would be unsafe for a dog.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Erm, I am!
are you thinking of the breeds/dogs you own?

as I said in an ideal world yup all dogs would have free time off lead,

but, not all dogs crave it, I know we have not been lucky enough to meet up on a walk yet, hopefuly it will happen, but im sure hali can confirm, when vinnie is let off lead he may go have a wee mooch around but most of the time hes about 1.5 feet behind me his choice, not mine,

kaos enjoys his a bit more, but is still never far away from me,

not all dogs need/or want to romp for miles off lead,

Yes you can argue that vinnie gets off lead all the time, but so often he doesnt do much with it unless I play with him and throw toys

ETA: I would rather see a dog on lead as in the rescue kennels as the owner cant cope any more, or even worse dead.

so my last word is, for those that can allow there dogs off lead, great

for those that cant for whatever reason, so long as the dog is well looked after, its not the end of the world,

some poor dogs never get walked on lead or off lead....but stuck in back yards

climbs back on fence to dangle legs lol..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

And yes, walking them on the lead all the time would be wrong for my dogs. We all want to do what is best for our dogs, so what is the problem in that? I have highly active, sociable dogs, with great recalls, why would I want to keep them on a lead all the time?
But if someone else had your dogs....and didn't have the faculties to be able to allow them that, but put loads of time into interesting lead walks....differnt training sessions, agilty, trick training obediece etc...I believe they could have 'as good a life'.

It is great that you and many others (myself included) have a place and the training to be able to allow our dogs this. But for those that don't or can't....they can still provide thier dogs with an amazing life.

Trip is apparently classed as an HPR cross, she is a highly active dog, but I do believe that she could have what she needed without the free running time off lead on walks.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Highly active dogs that need more than what the restraints of a lead can provide.
you mean like my Boxers??
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sorry Pidgey Could you be most specific please? Which dog? And a danger to itself, or others, in what way?

Thanks.
Hypothetical person and dog

My point being that a dog with issues (whatever they may be) is better off safe on lead than off lead because an owner decides it ''needs'' to be off lead.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You said your dog was the total opposite of mine...in terms of temperament and energy level so I suspect your dog is an aggressive couch potato then...
You haven't tried......your dog doesn't even walk well on the lead by your own admission you pay little attention to it..so please don't tell me what your dog could cope with when you haven't tried.

Exactly.
oh dear...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
What I meant was that the lead walks were done in different ways. Sometimes I would take her into busy places with lots of different sights and sounds - she enjoyed those walks, but didn't relax her. other walks we would potter around (I couldn't put a long line on her as she just wanted to run but I would let her 'lead' me where she wanted to go) but she found those very boring. Hoki has never been that interested in the scents left by other dogs etc - she'll have a quick sniff and then be off. And its not because she doesn't know how to use her nose, we do enough games of find it in the dark/long grass etc. where she can't rely on her sight.
You see when Tango is onlead I let her sniff wherever, we vary routes all the time (I sometimes double back on myself several times on a walk), we have training sessions built in, TTouch, searchinh for food in the grass games, retrieve games, the list is endless Hali. She doesn't have the chance to miss the lead not being clipped off.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
are you thinking of the breeds/dogs you own?

as I said in an ideal world yup all dogs would have free time off lead,

but, not all dogs crave it, I know we have not been lucky enough to meet up on a walk yet, hopefuly it will happen, but im sure hali can confirm, when vinnie is let off lead he may go have a wee mooch around but most of the time hes about 1.5 feet behind me his choice, not mine,

kaos enjoys his a bit more, but is still never far away from me,

not all dogs need/or want to romp for miles off lead,

Yes you can argue that vinnie gets off lead all the time, but so often he doesnt do much with it unless I play with him and throw toys
This concludes this whole thread for me. Sums it up nicely.

Some dogs do not need to be off lead.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
oh dear...
Indeed...but given Cosmo is exceptionally high energy and has a fantastic temperament...if your dog is the polar of that in terms of temperament and energy level..what else could I assume?
Page 24 of 46 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 > Last »