Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O Lord, ANOTHER one who has absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever

Where would we be if we all mindlessly followed to the letter every single law, however stupid, however mindless.

Let's see if I can think up some situations where rule following has had catastrophic results ... here's one, which I am sure we can all remember: it is concerning the London bombings, the underground had been bombed but firemen were not allowed to go in and help the injured because of "The Rules" ... H & S in this case ... in case there was a further bomb. They were all prepared, obviously, to risk their lives, but they had to stand by and watch and hear people dying in agony.

"Michael Henning was just yards away from Shehzad Tanweer when he detonated a bomb on a Circle line train at Aldgate Tube station, killing seven people.

Mr Henning told the inquest how he became angry when he saw three separate groups of firemen standing around the station after he was evacuated from the train.

He recalled asking the firemen: "Why aren't you down there? There are people dying."

But he said none of the firefighters looked at him or replied, apparently out of embarrassment, until one admitted they were worried about a second explosion.

"There were people that may have survived if they had got urgent medical response there and then." Michael Henning, 7/7 survivor"There were people that may have survived if they had got urgent medical response there and then," Mr Henning told the inquest into the deaths of the 52 victims of four separate bombings.

"My view is even if those who were too severely wounded to ever survive, some of them died in agony for 20, 30, 40 minutes, and at least they should have had the dignity of having some morphine or something of that nature."

"I was quite calm but I could feel the anger rising in me because we had no help apart from the London Underground people at that stage."

Mr Henning suggested that firefighters, police and paramedics were held back by protocols but he insisted he was not criticising individuals.

"When they were allowed to do their job, they did it absolutely brilliantly."

Geddit now??
NO I don't geddit now. It makes sense to me to hold back the firemen, their lives are just as important as anyone elses, so your point is?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
NO I don't geddit now. It makes sense to me to hold back the firemen, their lives are just as important as anyone elses, so your point is?
Well if we are going down this road, of cause their lives are as important as everyone else's, but the job they undertake is to act quickly to save a life, but as with so many things h & S has stopped them acting in some cases to do exactly that.

What about those fireman and police men, who stood by and watched people drown in a few feet of water due to being told they cant go into a pond because they don`t have the equipment .

I am sure when they sign up for these dangerous jobs, they don`t sign up to stand by and watch people die , when they could do something about it.

Look at the firefighters in 9/11, who lost their lives due to going into situations that were clearly dangerous, if they sat back for H & S to give their OK, many more people would have died,
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post

My point is that the firemen were TRAUMATISED because they were prevented by Elf and Safety from doing their job!! I do hope you are not telling me that if you were a fireman you would not have gone down the underground to do your duty and your job and help those poor people.

if one of those poor people had been your son or your daughter, do you think you might feel differently?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well if we are going down this road, of cause their lives are as important as everyone else's, but the job they undertake is to act quickly to save a life, but as with so many things h & S has stopped them acting in some cases to do exactly that.

What about those fireman and police men, who stood by and watched people drown in a few feet of water due to being told they cant go into a pond because they don`t have the equipment .

I am sure when they sign up for these dangerous jobs, they don`t sign up to stand by and watch people die , when they could do something about it.

Look at the firefighters in 9/11, who lost their lives due to going into situations that were clearly dangerous, if they sat back for H & S to give their OK, many more people would have died,
Exactly. This is the trouble with today's society. Even those people who WANT to do their job, are prevented by bloody stupid RULES!! Rules that SHOULD be broken ... if I had been one of those firemen on the London streets that day, wild horses wouldn't have prevented me from going down that tube station and helping wherever I could.

If I had been a fireman, and if I had broken the rules, disobeyed orders and gone down that tube and done my job, the job I signed up for KNOWING the dangers, do you think - you Elf & Safety lot - that I should then be disciplined for disobeying orders?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I am sure if need be we could all cite examples of rules being good or bad and good or bad things happening if they are kept or if they are broken.

I can't see any good thing resulting from not picking poo up and I can see definite bad ones happening all the time from people not picking it up.

Basically peole like Gnasher who refuse to pick up cause beaches and other areas to be closed off to dogs generally.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I am sure if need be we could all cite examples of rules being good or bad and good or bad things happening if they are kept or if they are broken.

I can't see any good thing resulting from not picking poo up and I can see definite bad ones happening all the time from people not picking it up.

Basically peole like Gnasher who refuse to pick up cause beaches and other areas to be closed off to dogs generally.

rune

come on Rune, you can do better than this surely!!

Let's kick off with some scenarios for you ...

If it were your child stuck down that tube in London, don't you think you would be begging those firemen to break the rules and get down there to help her? Don't you think you might say "to hell with the rules, if you want to go, risking your life, ignore the ***** rules!"
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 02:05 PM
My point is that the firemen were TRAUMATISED because they were prevented by Elf and Safety from doing their job!! I do hope you are not telling me that if you were a fireman you would not have gone down the underground to do your duty and your job and help those poor people.

if one of those poor people had been your son or your daughter, do you think you might feel differently?
And I wonder if your son or daughter had been a fireman/firewoman and allowed to go down when it wasn't safe and they got killed,you would think, well that's ok because it's their job. No I would not be happy. So are you saying you would be willing to be the person that says 'it's not safe but in you go'. There would be uproar if a lot more had been killed by another bomb going off. People would be asking why wasn't it checked that it was safe for them to go in. So it's all swings and roundabouts really.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 02:07 PM

If it were your child stuck down that tube in London, don't you think you would be begging those firemen to break the rules and get down there to help her? Don't you think you might say "to hell with the rules, if you want to go, risking your life, ignore the ***** rules!"
I have another more relevant scenario for you.

Dogs being banned from park areas, national trust grounds and beaches due to irresponsible thoughtless dog owners who refuse to pick up and follow rules.

rune
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 02:09 PM

I would probably risk my own life trying to save my child, but I wouldn't expect others to blindly jump in and kill themselves in the process, no. Firefighters have families too, and yes there are inherent risks that go with the job, but I didn't realise that people were of the opinion that they should be willing to kill themselves in the line of duty
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I would probably risk my own life trying to save my child, but I wouldn't expect others to blindly jump in and kill themselves in the process, no. Firefighters have families too, and yes there are inherent risks that go with the job, but I didn't realise that people were of the opinion that they should be willing to kill themselves in the line of duty
You are being drawn into Gnasher world

rune
Page 24 of 26 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 >