View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Are they rescues tho Ben? Did Ally not buy them?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Montysmum I have an unusual breed Chinese Cresteds and I can/ have had similiar comments.
I actually think Doodles are cute be it a bit hyper lol
What I do have a problem with is the so many bad breeders who have jumped on the bandwagon for kerching and nothing else.
I have no problem answering any questions re my dogs health tests etc... but always feel Doodle people have and when that happens I automatically get suspiscious as imo they may not have bought their doodle from as good a breeder as they thought/ knew but are still willing to promote said breeder.
By telling lies about the source, health etc of Doodles does not imo help people looking for a well bred one.
People read this forum and may decide to buy from a

Breeder etc..mentioned on here because a member states they are great yadda yadda but the truth should be told imo warts and all as this may save a new owner havin heartache further down the line
Very good post!
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2010, 10:28 AM
but why do people think it is ok to ask that? whether or not her dogs are from good or bad breeders, some people would be very offended about being asked that! what if on another thread i started to question everything about your dogs breeder??

Because Lozzi, as a dog lover it upsets me to a great deal - to say the least - that there are folk out there who breed these dogs willy nilly without carry out the necessary health testing.What are they actually contributing to the long term health and well being of these dogs, without the measures taking place?

Ok, so Joe Bloggs buy a Doodle for his daughter say, 6 months, 12 months down the line the dog is ill and the owner either has it put to sleep or it's in rescue.Is that fair on the dog? Perhaps if this testing had been carried out in the first place Bloggs Junior would still have her healthy Doodle.We all know there are too many dogs in rescue as there is and I think it is yourself who emphasises on rescue.

I once worked with a women who proudly announced she was to "doing" Doodles next time around Like a chuffing factory! I pretended I had a friend who was interested in getting one and asked about her health testing.What was her reply "Oh God know, too expensive that lark! I'll have made no money by the end, I'm sending daughter to Uni with that dosh"

....don't waste you're time on health testing when you can maximise your profit charging £800 + for an intentional, untested,crossbreed

As for my breed and breeder, ask away honey.I did all my research and homework for 5 years in fact and I have a very good relationship with my breeder.Why 5 years? Because I wanted to dedicate my life to my dog and our life together would mean a happy, loving and HEALTHY one......

ETA - so in whole, that's what boils MY blood
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but why do people think it is ok to ask that? whether or not her dogs are from good or bad breeders, some people would be very offended about being asked that! what if on another thread i started to question everything about your dogs breeder??
I don't think that people should get offended by that, as to me whenever you buy an animal you are supporting the breeder that you brought them from, you should be able to stand their ground, and agree with what they do when they are not around, if you paid them cash, then you agree with how the animals are treated and how they are raised, so you shouldn't feel offended, as you should be ready to stand by your breeder no matter what.

Now of course with Diesel I can't do this, I can't stand by the people involved in his puppy hood, but I still wouldn't be offended to be asked, I'd explain it, and tell them what happened, and then say thats why in the future you should only buy from good breeders, if I followed my own advice I wouldn't have Diesel, and Diesel probally wouldn't be here, he isn't really just a pet, he has a high prey drive, as he was from working stock, he's nervous because of what could be a mix of both the breeds in him, and also his first eleven weeks, and he's also got half a toe missing, and when he sits one of his legs bends out at a odd angle, at the moment I don't know if that affects him, and I don't know if it will, if he ever needs a op I'd like to get that leg x-rayed to see if theres anything unusaul there, but I know that I'll probally have to keep a eye on it to see if a problem occurs. Anyway like I say I wont feel offended if someone asked my where any of my animals came from, I'd just tell them, from the heartstring pullers, to the good breeders, to the ones left on the door step (and thats just the six different pets I have now) if someone feels offended by that question, to me they are embarrased that they lined the pockets of the breeder they got a pet from.
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Good post Chaz
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Emmm I think you should remember that you post elsewhere. I do believe your 1st doodle was born and kept outside in a shed on sawdust and you had an issue early on as in maybe HD Your 2nd you got from assistance dogs !! No need to tell white lies imo to make it look better.
Labradoodles were originally bred by Wally Cochran in 1988 so not 50 years and even then I believe he had no success re allergy friendly breeding
I feel its not my right to tell you the true story but maybe Ally will enlighten you with the truth
You must have been reading the same forum i did!
I said so on another thread, that she had posted else where that she brought her pup from the back of a shed! good breeders ermm nope! like she said her self...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 11:10 AM
No witchhunt but I think imo people read threads and posts on here and going by Ally's information they may believe that the breeder she got her dogs from were the bees knees which imo is not a good thing.Are you bad?? Well you have came on and told the truth so anyone thinking of buying from where you got your dogs know the truth so hopefully they would avoid
Has Ally said who the breeder was?? I have only seen her saying she is happy with the dogs she has and would recomend the breeder.
Yes totaly every breeder should be breeding for health and temprament as the most important factor, EVERY single pedigree dog from supposedly decent breeders round here is what I would consider a puppy farmer. People asked questions, but didnt know the right questions to ask
The people are still happy with their dogs and love them, I may slate the breeder but I dont slate the owner or the dog

- and sorry, I should have said my two are rescues - i know nothing about their background - and I have been told - a while ago - on threads here that I should have got health tested pedigrees

Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I think it's a shame that every post about deliberately bred crosses always seems to end up with insults, patronising attitudes and a sense that those of us who have such a dog have in some way failed the Dogsey forum entrance exam for suitability!

Inevitably the same questions or comments arise -

No need for them
Get a rescue dog
They've got a stupid name
They are expensive
They are not a proper breed
The breeders dont do proper health checks
The buyers don't know what they are getting

etc, etc, etc.

These comments start even if the OP has just asked a question about their dogs health or care - before too long someone will say "Why didn't you just buy ..........."

I have had people give me some great advice and help on here, for which I am very grateful, but there have also been comments I have read which now makes me hesitate to say what type of dog I have because I dont want to have to justify why I got it, how much I paid, proof of health checks or prove that I didnt buy from some puppy farm etc.

Please folks, this is a great forum and the people on it have a vast wealth of knowledge to pass on to people who own ALL types of dogs.

Share your knowledge and experiences, suggest the best way to find a good pup and how to look after it but dont criticise those of us who have bought a doodle or, in my case a COCKERPOO (there, I have said it!!!)
Well said! You have the same right as everyone else to love your dog. Seeing as I disagree with most breeders of pedigree dogs I dont see why you should be more slated than anyone else
Now if you were wanting to breed - then I would have words . I hope you found a good breeder - but that is your choice

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Are they rescues tho Ben? Did Ally not buy them?
Yup, I know it is different - but I have been slated for having rescues in the past

I think the problem is its getting too personal

State you views on breeders, what you think is a good breeder, why you dont like deliberate cross breeding

Personaly
I feel there are too many dogs in the world who dont have homes so ANY breeder should have to really think if their dogs are needed in the world
I think breeding crossbreeds is too risky as you have no idea what the end product is actually going to be - a random mixture of both breeds
I dont think anyone should make money out of breeding dogs, cover costs (of the breeding - not the costs to show the dogs or whatever) yes but if money is made then people can get greedy and standards slip

I do think their is big snobbery that only show dogs should be bred from
Why is one hobby more important than another

If a kennel was producing healthy, and health tested, great temprament and long lived PET dogs I dont ness see that as a bad thing

or more honestly I dont see that as any worse than breeding show dogs
We dont need most of the dogs that are bred at the moment - why be a snob and assume your dogs are better bred than someone elses??

Most of you are happy with how your dogs were bred
I wouldnt have been - I can guarantee I would think most of your dogs were not from a good breeder (IMO)
But you are happy with them
So my standards are stricter than yours - dosent make me better than you - just different, I can still enjoy hearing about your dogs

So Allys standards may be lower than yours - dosent make you any better than her - just different
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Most of you are happy with how your dogs were bred
I wouldnt have been - I can guarantee I would think most of your dogs were not from a good breeder (IMO)

Erm, Ben, with all respect how do you know some of our dogs are not from good breeders? You don't."You wouldn't have been?" How the moses do you know how Scarlett was bred? Again, you don't.You've made a presumption that finding a decent breeder,is either impossible or too much effort for new said owner.Is it too much to believe that there may be actually be some decent breeders out there? Yet we here so much on here of "some, yeah, not all but some" talk but the same can't stand when it comes to choosing a reputable breeder?

Moreover, do you think, with a Cavalier, I would risk going to anything other that a reputable breeder?

As I have said before it isn't anything to do with "snobbery" is about the health and wellbeing of that little dog, at the end of the day.I thought that's what we all cared about here.If you look at ANY thread in ANY topic, the case in point usually comes down to the same thing.The health, happiness and wellbeing of the dog, be it training, feeding, grooming etc.Would you not agree?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 12:11 PM
What still baffles me about Poodle mixes is that they go for more than either of the purebreds. I was looking through my local free-ads this morning and the Lab/Poodle crosses were for sale at £750. I'm amazed that 'breeders' can still charge such high prices for a crossbred dog. I'm even more amazed that people are willing to pay those prices.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What still baffles me about Poodle mixes is that they go for more than either of the purebreds. I was looking through my local free-ads this morning and the Lab/Poodle crosses were for sale at £750. I'm amazed that 'breeders' can still charge such high prices for a crossbred dog. I'm even more amazed that people are willing to pay those prices.
Totally agree i saw an advert last night actually, chinese crested hairless cross poodle, 7 in the litter..and £950 each!
They went on to say they didnt agree with pedigree dogs after seeing a programme, ummm yeah alright..then said..
mum and dad both KC registered, from showing lines!
pups also leave with birthing certficates
Closed Thread
Page 24 of 50 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 > Last »