Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I remember (shock horror) riding a dartmoor pony down the bridle path at full pelt with no tack and me sitting on her backwards!
Tell me about it, bare back jumping galloping round a field with no rains or saddle, heart failure time for me catching my daughter doing it, not me though far to cautious
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hmm I doubt I have commented DIRECTLY on any clips that were on APs thread as I cannot see them on my view........

I may have said that behaviour can be interpreted in different ways depending on the context eg a panting dog on a bench at crufts does not necessarily mean it is stressed, it could be hot, tired, or excited after just run around the agility ring etc................

But if you can find the actual post where I said a dog in a video clip was hot, please let me know.............
You said it was hot at Crufts!!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Did you notice the SPURS she is using to get the horse to "listen " to her commands.

And faulty, as I siad, you have to take care of your tack, and check it
LOL---I have watched show jumping since I was a kid and have seen reins break fairly often---I reckon they were checked.

It happens.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL---I have watched show jumping since I was a kid and have seen reins break fairly often---I reckon they were checked.

you`d be surprised, how many professional dont check their tack, then blame someone else for it..

It happens.
rune
Yes it does, often, but still the rule is ..check your tack,
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
it is interesting that when some people comment on adam palmer videos, adam was criticised for telling those people they were just imagining stress signs, yet this is the very same line being taken toward those saying the same thing about crufts clips.
Yes true and v sad I noticed that also. Apparently in the showing world everything is totaly perfect all the time and noone is ever alowed to see a dog that they think looks stressed, they are not supposed to see something they are uncomfy with
oh except for the agility lol its perfectly OK to generalize about all the dogs there

Originally Posted by rune View Post
The other oddity was that on one thread everyone jumped on someone who said it was hot and said it wasn't-----but then SB said it was hot on yet another thread and no one contradicted her-----wierd isn't it?

rune
Oh no - you must be wrong, werent we all told in no uncertain terms that its NEVER hot there and Pidge must have been wrong to have found it hot? SB must have been wrong, it cant have been hot
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes true and v sad I noticed that also. Apparently in the showing world everything is totaly perfect all the time and noone is ever alowed to see a dog that they think looks stressed, they are not supposed to see something they are uncomfy with
oh except for the agility lol its perfectly OK to generalize about all the dogs there

Oh no - you must be wrong, werent we all told in no uncertain terms that its NEVER hot there and Pidge must have been wrong to have found it hot? SB must have been wrong, it cant have been hot
dont like your sweeping statement there. i wouldnt say that everything is perfect im not naive enough to believe that. again i wouldnt agree with showing a dog that doesnt like it, or one that was stressed. however to all the shows ive been, ive never seen a dog stressed in the ring, or waiting to go in, ive seen plenty trying to nick sandwiches out of bags often enough though

and i wasnt generalizing about agility if that was aimed at me. ive told you what i had seen watching the agility at crufts, and how some dogs were treated there. like i said there were many good owners/handlers and good runs, more good than bad like there is in the showing world.

as for the hot bit, yesterday when i was there, the temperature seemed just right, i wasnt hot and i went bloody cold when they turned the air con on! there were a couple of dogs panting, mainly the braphephyliac (sp?) breeds, and depending on how long they had been walking round the halls for, these breeds are known to tire quicker.. all other dogs i saw seemed fine. even saw the woman who won friends for life and he dog kaiser
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

No one said it was perfect as in every discipline in life including agility, flyball, obedience, show jumping, in fact all sports involving animals you get people who put wining first before the welfare of the animals.
What we are trying to say is that every thread on showing in here, certain members cant wait to pull us and our hobby to pieces.
As I and others have said previously were sick to the back teeth of having to justify everything we do to people on here who seem to think they are bastions of animal welfare.
Getting back O/T some of the dogs in the groups had taut leads to keep control of the dogs, lets not forget that at a normal show this might not happen maybe the handlers were a little afraid that the dogs might be phased by the lights, cameras and audience.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes it does, often, but still the rule is ..check your tack,
For some reason you seem to take issue with this - the tack was checked...they had JUST been fitted.

Accidents happen...

...and I stand by my point - if a horse wants to bolt on a road, a bridle will not stop it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
dont like your sweeping statement there. i wouldnt say that everything is perfect im not naive enough to believe that. again i wouldnt agree with showing a dog that doesnt like it, or one that was stressed. however to all the shows ive been, ive never seen a dog stressed in the ring, or waiting to go in, ive seen plenty trying to nick sandwiches out of bags often enough though

It wasnt aimed at you, you have been able to discuss fairly alot of the points and I appreciate that.
There are a few hard core of people who jump on anyone if they say they have seen anything they dont like, people have been called liers for finding it hot and all sorts of things. If someone says they have seen something they dont like if one person dosent do that thing then it isnt an attack on them - but no too often people jump on and say it is not possible that someone has seen hot dogs, stressed dogs or dogs with the lead to tight
In anything there are good and bad people, dogs will have bad days and get stressed, but apparently people here are not supposed to say they have seen things

and i wasnt generalizing about agility if that was aimed at me. ive told you what i had seen watching the agility at crufts, and how some dogs were treated there. like i said there were many good owners/handlers and good runs, more good than bad like there is in the showing world.

and again it wasnt aimed at you, certain others seem to think that constantly adding digs about agility is a good way to divert people saying things they dont like about showing
I see plenty of things in agility I dont like too, I see things walking my dog round the street. I am not responsible for what everyone else in my hobby does and there are some stupid people in all walks of life
What i dont to is bury my head in the sand and yell at people who say they have seen something they dont like
I speak out whenever I can about things I dont like to see in agility
I dont run my dogs when I am not happy with the conditions, they have a start line stay, they are trained the best I can so they are not hyper and flying off obsticles and stuff. I am not responsible for fools in the sport, although I speak out when I can

as for the hot bit, yesterday when i was there, the temperature seemed just right, i wasnt hot and i went bloody cold when they turned the air con on! there were a couple of dogs panting, mainly the braphephyliac (sp?) breeds, and depending on how long they had been walking round the halls for, these breeds are known to tire quicker.. all other dogs i saw seemed fine. even saw the woman who won friends for life and he dog kaiser
Yup, I hve never been at crufts but I have been in the venue many times and the temperatures can vary
Glad the dogs were fine, I am sure most dogs are. The point was in another thread someone (Pidge I think) said she saw dogs who were hot and she was sad to see that - she was jumped on and told this could not be the case - its an example of what I am saying about people just jumping on and saying EVERYTHING is fine and she must be lying
all a person can say is that they make sure their dogs are fine and the dogs they have seen were fine, but to tell someone they didnt see what they had seen is just pathetic

People on here say they have seen agility dogs slipping on the flooring, I didnt see it but I can see how it may have happend, I think that is v sad and should be addressed
as I have said, if I wasnt happy with the conditions I wouldnt run my dogs
Yes when they are out doing zoomies they sometimes slip - but for the conditions for something I am asking them to do I make sure things are much better

If others choose to run their dogs then the fault is with them, not with the sport and not with me, it is their choise

although it is rather funny that it is perfectly OK for a dog to do a tightrope display 10 feet in the air but agility is the devils sport
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
No one said it was perfect as in every discipline in life including agility, flyball, obedience, show jumping, in fact all sports involving animals you get people who put wining first before the welfare of the animals.
What we are trying to say is that every thread on showing in here, certain members cant wait to pull us and our hobby to pieces.
As I and others have said previously were sick to the back teeth of having to justify everything we do to people on here who seem to think they are bastions of animal welfare.
Getting back O/T some of the dogs in the groups had taut leads to keep control of the dogs, lets not forget that at a normal show this might not happen maybe the handlers were a little afraid that the dogs might be phased by the lights, cameras and audience.
But you dont have to justify, all that was said here was that someone didnt like to see the leads to tight
I also said I dont like to see leads tight up holding dogs heads up
Its not a dig at the showing world - just something I dont like to see, if you dont do it you dont have to justify it. If you did it cos of nerves - then of course we are all human, noone said otherwise, hopefully this thread will make people think about it thoIf you do it as a general thing then yes I am going to ask why, and ask if there are not alternatives

same if I scruffed my dog and manhandled them at the start of the line at agility I would have to think about why I did that and why I couldnt work on a stay
Page 24 of 28 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 > Last »