Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

ah, but I just cant help myself
Neither can i, its fascinating & i'm too full after a hefty roast dinner - lol
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, I am not saying it is OK ... BUT ...

if next door's cats come into our garden, are chased by my boys and one or both are killed, then that is dreadful, awful and very sad, but so too is it dreadful, awful and very sad when next door's cats come into our garden and kill my birds ... as used to happen when we lost Hal and before we got Tai.
Yes my dad feels the same way so bought one of those powerful water pistols to chase them away! My mum probably did not let him get a catapult
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Used to use water pistols to chase the seagulls away from our BBQs when I lived on the coast in Newlyn! They'd nick the steak right off the coals!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
Yes my dad feels the same way so bought one of those powerful water pistols to chase them away! My mum probably did not let him get a catapult
They dont like water, used to have a entire tom cat come round growling & threatening ours. I used the jet function as opposed to the spray, on a plant spray bottle. That of course was before i discovered under all that fluffy coat he was skin & bones . Since hes been regularly fed with a shed to sleep in, he never bothers ours. One of these days when he tames down a bit more, he will take a trip to the Vet to become a neutered boy

Seriously tho water is the best & kindest deterrent
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
They dont like water, used to have a entire tom cat come round growling & threatening ours. I used the jet function as opposed to the spray, on a plant spray bottle. That of course was before i discovered under all that fluffy coat he was skin & bones . Since hes been regularly fed with a shed to sleep in, he never bothers ours. One of these days when he tames down a bit more, he will take a trip to the Vet to become a neutered boy

Seriously tho water is the best & kindest deterrent
O bless you, poor cat being skin and bones, but you are quite right about water ... they HATE it. When daughter first brought Winkle into our house, she wasn't supposed to go out, but she did get out into our garden and went straight up the hawthorn tree to get the birds up there. So OH got the hosepipe, and soaked and soaked her with the hose on full blast. She never went up the hawthorn tree again, but sadly she did get a whole nest of baby blackbirds out from the macracarpa hedge and killed the lot, plus the mum.

My mother actually did stop our old moggy from killing birds, at least whilst we were around. Every time he brought a headless bird back for her inspection she dunked the poor animal in a bucket of water. He stopped chasing and killing birds toute suite, but when we weren't around I bet he went on slaughtering ... but at least during the day when Mum was up and down the garden the whole time they were safe.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O bless you, poor cat being skin and bones, but you are quite right about water ... they HATE it. When daughter first brought Winkle into our house, she wasn't supposed to go out, but she did get out into our garden and went straight up the hawthorn tree to get the birds up there. So OH got the hosepipe, and soaked and soaked her with the hose on full blast. She never went up the hawthorn tree again, but sadly she did get a whole nest of baby blackbirds out from the macracarpa hedge and killed the lot, plus the mum.

My mother actually did stop our old moggy from killing birds, at least whilst we were around. Every time he brought a headless bird back for her inspection she dunked the poor animal in a bucket of water. He stopped chasing and killing birds toute suite, but when we weren't around I bet he went on slaughtering ... but at least during the day when Mum was up and down the garden the whole time they were safe.
How terrifying for the little cat being drenched with a hose on full blast. It doesnt bear thinking about if she had lost her footing or got one of those lethal thorns imbedded in her.

If you saw her killing the birds in the hedge could you not have went out at that stage & shooed her away

I wont even comment on the bucketful of water treatment...
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow what an intelligent cat, being able to associate a random dunking in water with an earlier act of killing a bird!! Now im off to half drown my dog for peeing on my washing last week, that'll learn him!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Wow what an intelligent cat, being able to associate a random dunking in water with an earlier act of killing a bird!! Now im off to half drown my dog for peeing on my washing last week, that'll learn him!!
Well said!

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
How terrifying for the little cat being drenched with a hose on full blast. It doesnt bear thinking about if she had lost her footing or got one of those lethal thorns imbedded in her.

If you saw her killing the birds in the hedge could you not have went out at that stage & shooed her away

I wont even comment on the bucketful of water treatment...
Nonsense - you obviously do not know Winkle! She WAS terrified, that was the whole point

A cat lose her footing? You've got to be kidding!

She wasn't killing birds in the hedge, that was on another occasion, this time she had gone up the hawthorn tree trunk specifically to catch the birds ... brilliant, she associated with what she was doing with a very unpleasant experience, perfect!

I don't know about you, but I do not have the time to stand out there all day waiting to shoo cats away from the birds! As soon as my back was turned, she would ahve been back up there in a trice.

The harsh treatment she had dished out to her taught her a lesson she will never forget.

Just like my mum's cat ... no harm done. Water will never hurt a cat, unless of course you drowned them. Provided the pressure of the hose is not too severe, a hosepipe is the best way to teach them to stay away from trees and bushes ... if you can catch them in the act, which isn't always easy of course!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
think this is the link (you may be there a while )
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=150219
OMG we're not going to open that one up again are we???????
Page 23 of 30 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »