View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Those who don't want their taxes to pay for public sector pensions, sick pay etc the money you pay to your gas and electricity provider, that you pay to the private insurance policies you hold, to the hairdresser, to the corner shop, to the supermarket to the pet shop, etc etc all subsidises their sick pay, there overtime bill when staff are off, and adds to their profits which yes does cover some of the costs incurred by a company. But ultoimately you and every other consumer/user of a service pays for that service and ALL the costs incurred by a private company.

Agreed but I choose who supplies my gas electric and who cuts my hair.

I dont choose the public services i pay my money then get told who does it.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Those who don't want their taxes to pay for public sector pensions, sick pay etc the money you pay to your gas and electricity provider, that you pay to the private insurance policies you hold, to the hairdresser, to the corner shop, to the supermarket to the pet shop, etc etc all subsidises their sick pay, there overtime bill when staff are off, and adds to their profits which yes does cover some of the costs incurred by a company. But ultoimately you and every other consumer/user of a service pays for that service and ALL the costs incurred by a private company.

Agreed but I choose who supplies my gas electric and who cuts my hair.

I dont choose the public services i pay my money then get told who does it.
Absolutely agree you can choose - however because most public sector services don't and can't make any profit noone actually wants to take up the contracts so sadly there is no room for competition, so yes you, and I, don't get a choice, but I am content that my doctor whether private or public may have been taught and encouraged by a public sector teacher or treated by a public sector dentist or got to where he or she is by reading a public sector library book or didn't have his or her ambitions shattered by ill health as they took advantage of public sector leisure facilities etc etc (that is of course unless trhey trained abroad)

I am all for choice as to where my money goes but due to the nature of most public sector services there can be no choice as private firms are only interested in profit making ventures
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Taken to nhs hospital after accident.

Transfered to private health care within two days.
I have insurance................. remember.................

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I replied again......................

You guys give a really good debate.......
You still made use of the NHS - yet you have the audacity to run it & its staff down.

Who do you think "trained" all those staff who
treated you privately - they may now work in the private sector (and fair play to them) however their original training would have been in NHS!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
You still made use of the NHS - yet you have the audacity to run it & its staff down.

Who do you think "trained" all those staff who
treated you privately - they may now work in the private sector (and fair play to them) however their original training would have been in NHS!
They probably still work in both sectors too - the doctors, etc.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by gilli and jago View Post
or an even better idea rather than "remove and means test all the over 75 free benefits...winter fuel, free travel, and tv licence"
is to
1, make public transport free for all as people are unlikely to spend time on a bus if they are rich enough to be able to get there comfortably and in a quarter of the time in their Jaguar or mercedes
So the overstretched tax payer gets to be even more overstretched, the drivers still need to be paid, the vehicles still need to be bought, kept roadworthy, fuel still needs to be paid for.
Cheaper to means test and only give free travel to those who need and deserve it.

2, subsidise heating cost in ALL lower band houses as if you have millions you are unlikely to be living in a two up two down terrace.
Who's going to pay for it ? If those who use the heating have it for free or subsidised would they ever bother to turn it off or down ? People who live in higher band houses don't have money to burn either, they too tend to keep the heating down to avoid monstrous bills.

3, you have already said to scrap the BBC license fee so that throws the free licence out the window anyway

so basically the people managing without a car of their own and in tiny houses (likely to be lower income / retired people anyway and certainly not your high flyers) get the benefits with no need for form filling etc. or any feeling of invasion of privacy.

Basically if your lifestyle shows you are poor you get helped along and if you are living on a country estate or in a 6 bedroom house on benefits, churning out more and more kids for the sake of benefits you wont. Very little overseeing needed as your eligibility is simply down to your council tax band

simples......
What about the hard working families stuck in the middle, the ones who have never claimed benefits in their life, live in a 4 bed detached, meet all their own bills etc and are in a higher earning tax band because they are working 70+ hours a week to be able to afford the things they want and trying to save for their old age at the same time because they never want to end up dependent on the state. Who bring their kids up with a very strong work ethic, who also go on to work all the hours they can to strive for the things they want in life. Are they rich or just plain hardworking and getting shafted by all and sundry.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Now here's a funny thing - I used to work in an Unemployment Benefit Office, and found that it was the people who had "never claimed in their lives" who had the thickest files...........

Snorri
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:05 PM
How come that then??? I've "never claimed in my life" nor has hubby, so why would they have a file on us then??? We've never even attempted to claim anything either coz we knew we couldn't? that's interesting, hmmmmmm
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Now here's a funny thing - I used to work in an Unemployment Benefit Office, and found that it was the people who had "never claimed in their lives" who had the thickest files...........

Snorri
Really did they compile files on people who had really never made a claim, seems a pointless exercise to me or are you trying to imply those of us who have never made a claim in their lives are lying?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post

Snorri
Reminds me of when I worked in a main Post Office and a member of the travelling community came in. My work colleague said that she liked them as "They didn't contribute anything to society or take anything from society"

However, he had come in to cash his giro!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:06 PM
We only pay in ourselves, it's always been like that here, but oh, come to think of it, I do get my bins emptied every week and I do have a doctor/hospital if I ever need one, which so far, can be counted on one hand for the pair of us!
Page 23 of 27 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »