Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by buzzie View Post
Ok, I'll tell you where I am coming from and alot of other people out there but maybe not on this forum.

A little over four years ago a child was mauled by a pit bull. The family was known by a friend of mine and I went to calling hours with her.

This little girl was 12 yrs old and they had this darling pit bull from the time it was a puppy. No problems and as younger children they played with the dog and couldn't have a better pet. That day something happened and don't ask me why was she left alone with the dog, she and her brother had been many times but she was alone this day. The dog was there to protect the kids in a way.

Death must have happened quickly since it was so horrific so this can happen and does. What does it hurt to admit a problem and work on it?
That is very sad
BUT it could have and Has happened with other breeds
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Confirmed as a Pit Bull type.
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
That is very sad
BUT it could have and Has happened with other breeds
Yes it has
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Apparently according to sky many people have pit bulls in the area, I would bet my bottom dollar that they're staffies not pits. I've seen one true pit in my life, I nearly crashed my car when I saw the owner kick the dogs bum to get it to sit, on its choke chain lead....perhaps its not always instinct. These reports are hardly going to say "yes we left the dog alone for hours, never walked it" are they?!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Apparently according to sky many people have pit bulls in the area, I would bet my bottom dollar that they're staffies not pits. I've seen one true pit in my life, I nearly crashed my car when I saw the owner kick the dogs bum to get it to sit, on its choke chain lead....perhaps its not always instinct. These reports are hardly going to say "yes we left the dog alone for hours, never walked it" are they?!
No. There are more pit bulls around now than there ever were pre DDA. They will be pit bulls, or their crosses....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No. There are more pit bulls around now than there ever were pre DDA. They will be pit bulls, or their crosses....
what she said...

or often its a pick and mix of bull types to get whats required, eg, AM bull x staff or mastiff x staff or a whole mix of of many bull breeds to get the end result.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
what she said...

or often its a pick and mix of bull types to get whats required, eg, AM bull x staff or mastiff x staff or a whole mix of of many bull breeds to get the end result.
Yep...but you can bet your bottom dollar theres pit bull in there somewhere.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Staffords are out numbered easily by pit bull types in that area. Staffords are just not big enough.

Pit Bull Type could be a cross of many different breeds so the reports that the dog has been tested to see if it is type is hogwash.

I had hoped the breed would not be a pit bull type as this would support BSL. And people would say nothing needed to change.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Staffords are out numbered easily by pit bull types in that area. Staffords are just not big enough.

Pit Bull Type could be a cross of many different breeds so the reports that the dog has been tested to see if it is type is hogwash.

I had hoped the breed would not be a pit bull type as this would support BSL. And people would say nothing needed to change.
I feel for a lot of people in the area. I feel for them because a lot of people have adopted 'type' dogs from rescue centres, as that is all that is in the rescue centres. These dogs are fine, great dogs...but they will be caught up in this.
There will be a big backlash from this. Merseyside Police will have to be seen to be doing something, especially because they failed to follow up on a phone call about the house.
I suspect there will be another amnesty......and another huge crackdown.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
As others have said, I think there are still plenty of them out there. I have one that I am 98% certain is a red-nosed Pit Bull living near me...I am pretty sure that Staffies don't come in the colour or shape/size that this dog does.
Page 23 of 53 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »