Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Hmm, maybe Ceaser is seeing the error of his old ways then if there was no stringing, pssting or tapping and nudging with the foot. That's great to hear.
Maybe

Everyone strives to be the best they can and it seems to me that CM is changing his methods (although the actual ethos is the same).

But hey ho, the old Dogsey crew get stuck in their rut and don't look at the newer stuff. It's quite boring really
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Was it here or another site where somebody had a thread on whether he was improving or not?

Actually any dog handler should be constantly looking at new ideas, trying the ones not obviously dumb, and keeping the ones that work better than the old.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
So this wild wolf was in which country ? The USA ? Canada ? Russia ? There are no wild wolves in the UK(there are wolf packs but they are not wild they are captive) & as far as I no there are no wolf packs that segregate the"Breeding"female into a compound naturally that I know of(didn't even know that wolves used compounds to rear their young in, thought it was in a den)in any continent. Did the other members of her pack allow you enter her"compound" ? How old were her cubs ?

The footage I have seen was shot by David Mech & his students/associates. There were no close ups inside the den, but as in the wild Wolf cubs are weaned by the age of 4 weeks from the"Breeding"bitch freeing her up to go hunting, the footage started at around 2-3 weeks of age when the cubs first left the den. From 4 weeks of age the rearing of the cubs is done mainly by the older siblings of the cubs. The only interaction that could be compared to the pinning etc was done to stop a behaviour, not to get the cubs attention on the older wolf.

I'm very interested to know where you met this wolf as the only ones I have been able to get close up & personal with have been captive wolves, it would be(in the experts opinion)way to dangerous to invade a pack's base, especially when there are cubs.

You obviously do not understand what I wrote so I will try again in a more simple form

Bitches do not have to work to gain their puppies/cubs attention, because when puppies/cubs are young their whole world revolves around their mother & so she does not have to seek their attention, they will actively seek hers. Some adults will still react to their mother many years down the line & give her attention without her having to seek it. This also happens with siblings as my youngest has proved with his litter brother & sister, who he sees on an irregular basis !
Where did I ever say the wolf was wild? Au contraire ... I believe I actually referred to her in her enclosure.

You really must learn to read posts properly before wading in with both feet !

In addition, I believe the title of this Thread is "The Dog Whisperer". If you want to discuss the fascinating subject of wolves, then please PM me or start another thread. I am always thrilled to discuss the fascinating subject of wolves.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Hm & what were the rest of the pack doing with the cubs being 10-12 weeks old & the Breeding bitch went hunting ??? Had they allowed the Breeding bitch out of the compound ??

what on earth are you talking about !! What pack? What hunting?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Was it here or another site where somebody had a thread on whether he was improving or not?

Actually any dog handler should be constantly looking at new ideas, trying the ones not obviously dumb, and keeping the ones that work better than the old.
Good post Labman. I believe the thread you are referring to was on here, and was started by Mishflynn from memory. Mish: were you the guilty party ??
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Maybe

Everyone strives to be the best they can and it seems to me that CM is changing his methods (although the actual ethos is the same).

But hey ho, the old Dogsey crew get stuck in their rut and don't look at the newer stuff. It's quite boring really
Quite true Sarah. Well said.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I have watched DW programs, and also watched videos of him online.
If you search for vids of him stringing up dogs, and watch it with no sound first, then with the sound a second time (it's better this way, as you are not distracted by any noise the dog makes, or anything CM says) - no wonder the dog fights back!
I would fight back if someone had something like that around my neck - they look like they are being choked!
Then when you realise CM will keep choking you, you realise it's better to stay still, as it won't hurt as much. Then it looks like the dog has 'submitted' to CM.
The dog is choking itself Hevvur, no-one is asking it to fight back. The dog is throwing a temper tantrum because he is being shown calmly but assertively that his behaviour will only result in discomfort ... self-inflicted discomfort. Whereas I do not like those Illusion collars, the simple slip lead that CM normally likes to use are an ideal tool to use with a dog who has no manners and thinks he is King Sh1t. The use of a choke or prong collar in such circumstances I consider IS cruel, but not a soft (not nylon) slip lead.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
You obviously know so much about wolves Heather & Zak, which I hadn't realised before. What experience do you have?
Well I will explain. In the forest and mountains here where I live we have wolves roaming free, and it is always drummed into us at a young age never go near a wolf with cubs. Common sense I suppose.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:21 PM
You know the saying you should never discuss religion and politics with friends?

There should be another one saying you should never bring up Cesar Milan or neutering on Dogsey

(because it always turns into an argument or goes round in circles).
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Well I will explain. In the forest and mountains here where I live we have wolves roaming free, and it is always drummed into us at a young age never go near a wolf with cubs. Common sense I suppose.
What !! In South Wales ? Cool !! I wish !!
Page 23 of 125 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 73 123 > Last »