Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Was just thinking, one of the worst things about the breeder things was that she said ''well our vet never mentioned any of this when we told him we were thinking of breeding <mum's name>!!''

Yikes!!
It kind of swings both ways though. I agree that vets should be pushing health testing (if applicable for the breed) on people who are looking to breed their dogs, but equally the would-be breeders need to do their research properly. All it takes is a quick Google search or a read of a book to confirm what the common health problems in a breed are, and whether there are tests available for them. So the vet not telling them isn't really a valid excuse.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2009, 04:05 PM
What's this then?
Bred record Supplement/

All breeds , all tests and all litters will be published in there..it comes out in quartiles
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:05 PM
What's this then?
Its the Breed Record Supplement, you can buy them from the KC hun

if you go to the bottom of the page on the link I posted it says....see below..

Publication of results

Eye Scheme results are only published where a specific condition is known to be inherited and certified as such.
The Kennel Club is responsible for publishing eye results for all pedigree dogs in the Kennel Club Breed Records Supplement and on progeny registration certificates.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:08 PM
whats woodys KC reg name hun?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:09 PM
If you know the dogs full KC registered name you can now go onto the KC website and check out their health test results under their health checker!
Try it out on this name Vanitonia Wilson Picket
Becky
ETA it's currently unavailable sorry
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:09 PM
So much to learn!!It's interesting though.

I'll see what my vet says next week, I need to check the diet thing too as am sure he doesn't need to be on sensitive, just hypo and adult not puppy will do I'm sure.

thanks for all the advice though, you guys rock!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As an aside, Comso's breeder picked the pups in his litter, she decided who went where. It worked really well. She kept 2 anyway, but there was another one that was going to a working home so it was important it showed some sign of wanting to. She matched Cosmo to us because of his temperament and I have to say she did a really good job. He'll never win a show or do a days work...but he's a cracking pet. If I ever get another pup (which we're not sure we ever will at this stage) then I would trust her to do it again. The breeders know the pups inside out and so it makes sense for them to choose who suits who...
We chose Biff because my OH said 'look he likes me' as he was being pushy (thus the name the owner of the mum had given him...) NEVER again!!!

I have a friend who does that.. the only choice she gives her puppy buyers is what sex they want.

She hand picks each pup for each buyer.

She assesses the buyer, their lifestyle, first time dog owners and so one.. and places a puppy to them...after all she says she is the one who has seen the temperament develop, and what family they will fit into.

For example, the quiet one wil go to a family , the most adventurous will go to the person who wants to work their dog..
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
whats woodys KC reg name hun?
Hesketh Treasure

Let me know what you find!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If you know the dogs full KC registered name you can now go onto the KC website and check out their health test results under their health checker!
Try it out on this name Vanitonia Wilson Picket
Becky
ETA it's currently unavailable sorry
pidge here is the linky, you could keep checking back im sure it will be back online soon

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se...health/search/
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have a friend who does that.. the only choice she gives her puppy buyers is what sex they want.

She hand picks each pup for each buyer.

She assesses the buyer, their lifestyle, first time dog owners and so one.. and places a puppy to them...after all she says she is the one who has seen the temperament develop, and what family they will fit into.

For example, the quiet one wil go to a family , the most adventurous will go to the person who wants to work their dog..
I wish someone had done that for us. Also wish we'd stumbled across something ''other'' than telling us to go for most lively, most alert!!
Closed Thread
Page 23 of 44 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »