View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:37 PM
You don`t hit dogs because you don`t want them to be hand-shy.
You don`t kick dogs because you don`t want them frightened of your feet.
Anyway - personally I think hitting, kicking punching whipping or in any other way hurting a dog to get it do something is the action of a coward and a bully.
I prefer to train my dogs.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I agree, which is why I don't use questional methods anymore.

I also get a kick out of (no pun I tended lol) how he thinks he knows about every breed of dog, like the one where he went to Australia & helped the lady with her acd. I don't know alot but I have to say that when it comes to those dogs I know more then him. There was another ep where he was working with another acd, the dog had the owner pinned btw the wall & the bed & you could see CM crapping his pants as he with a racket tried to back the dog off. Luckily either the dog wasn't extremely drivey or just felt like doing it but be backed off, if it had been Izze, my cow herder I don't think she would have.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I got to 3mins 35 on that video & couldn't watch anymore..What REALLY gets me is that people who own these dogs actually DO as he tells them to

If some bloke told me to kick my dog as a way of training...I know who I'd kick!! He said "nota kick but a hard press of your foot and it doesnt hurt the dog"..why was it yelping then?

The man should be banned from having anything to do with animals.....!!!!

Bev
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2011, 11:37 AM
All the people he visits have gotten dogs for companions...after you take in CM's style it seems you'll have to train your dog to pretend it likes you as well. So now we're kicking our dogs for trying to avoid what we were kicking them for.
It's too bad his books start out with a heartwarming story of his childhood with dogs. It's too bad he has any books.
....Just the other day my grandmother told my cousin he needed to find someone strong enough to put his sweet and loving american bulldog into an alpha roll because he growled at other dogs. When I voiced my disapproval and said this would just be forcing a dog to be submissive. They laughed at me and said it's a dog's nature and they have pack orders (of course, I know this) and that's how the alpha dog does it. When I'm pretty sure dogs readily assume the position when they're being threatened and showing their respect.....I don't know.
They learned from CM.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 12:40 PM
But playing devils advocate here for a minute, dogs DO roll each other, Izze does it to Jo when she gets too excited, as do the barn dogs... So why is a human doing it any different? Just asking.
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh really?? Well I'm glad I accepted what they told me and didn't argue further. I just heard from a few dog trainers that dogs don't FORCE eachother over, they just do as I said in my previous reply.
I suppose that may have been wrong. That's why I added an I don't know.(:
But my cousin's dog is big and extremely muscular...I don't think there's many that could roll him.
At least not in my family.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 12:57 PM
So why do they roll each other, becsuse it doesn't seem that Jo really does it willingly, only she is given no other choice by the other dogs, as it happens so quick.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
But playing devils advocate here for a minute, dogs DO roll each other, Izze does it to Jo when she gets too excited, as do the barn dogs... So why is a human doing it any different? Just asking.
Hi DD in all my years of owning and working with dogs I have never seen a dog grow arms and pull another dog onto the ground thereby forcing it to submit. What I have seen is one dog jumping on another so that the dog voluntarily rolled over into a submissive position.

IMO it is totally inappropriate for a human to use their superior strength to force a dog to submit, when doing this you are teaching the dog to be wary of humans because they behave unpredictably.
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Alright. I've just never seen a dog do it besides when they take turns on top in play.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
So why do they roll each other, becsuse it doesn't seem that Jo really does it willingly, only she is given no other choice by the other dogs, as it happens so quick.
...If one dog displays superior strength to another the weaker dog has the option to fight/freeze/flee. It will often choose to roll over into a submissive position exposing vulnerable parts of its body like the throat, this often has the effect of diffusing the situation.

If we watch puppies playing we can see these gestures being played out/rehearsed
Page 23 of 49 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »