View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 12:01 PM
In shechita, [Kasher slaughtering] the trachea, oesophagus, carotid arteries and jugular veins are cut with one stroke. The animals do not have their legs tied together or are tied to a tree, if they are restrained it must be gently and without causing fear, and no live animal must be permitted to see the act of slaughter of another.

If an animal makes a sound during slaughter it is deemed to be "treif", ie "torn" and therefore not Kasher.

I have been to a Kasher slaughter house and seen cows being slaughtered by a shochet, the training of such a person taking ~four to five years. Unconsciousness and brain death takes place almost instantaneously and the heart stops beating within ~two to three minutes.

One of the largest Kasher abattoirs in the US was shut down due to causing unnecessary suffering to the animals. PETA and other organisations surreptitiously filmed what was happening and they posted their films on such hosting sites as YouTube.

To the best of my knowledge no Kasher slaughter house in the UK had ever had to be closed for such a thing.

Pre-stunning is not permitted as it bruises the animal, and a flawed animal is classed as "treif". However, as far as I know it IS now permitted to use a stunning gun AFTER the throat has been cut according to the laws of shechita and before the heart has stopped beating.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Iinstantaneously and the heart stops beating within ~two to three minutes.

To the best of my knowledge no Kasher slaughter house in the UK had ever had to be closed for such a thing.

However, as far as I know it IS now permitted to use a stunning gun AFTER the throat has been cut according to the laws of shechita and before the heart has stopped beating.

YEs the same is true for Zabiha, death is almost instantaneous and again stun guns are allowed AFTER the throat is slit but rarely used in the UK.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2011, 03:07 PM
In shechita, [Kasher slaughtering] the trachea, oesophagus, carotid arteries and jugular veins are cut with one stroke. The animals do not have their legs tied together or are tied to a tree, if they are restrained it must be gently and without causing fear, and no live animal must be permitted to see the act of slaughter of another.

If an animal makes a sound during slaughter it is deemed to be "treif", ie "torn" and therefore not Kasher.

I have been to a Kasher slaughter house and seen cows being slaughtered by a shochet, the training of such a person taking ~four to five years. Unconsciousness and brain death takes place almost instantaneously and the heart stops beating within ~two to three minutes.

One of the largest Kasher abattoirs in the US was shut down due to causing unnecessary suffering to the animals. PETA and other organisations surreptitiously filmed what was happening and they posted their films on such hosting sites as YouTube.

Pre-stunning is not permitted as it bruises the animal, and a flawed animal is classed as "treif". However, as far as I know it IS now permitted to use a stunning gun AFTER the throat has been cut according to the laws of shechita and before the heart has stopped beating.
Of course they all say, how it's 'meant' to be done or how 'our methods are not cruel' - but as many of the videos show in reality, that's not always the case - for example the cries of the animal in that vid, the way they started 'working on his head' before he was actually dead/passed out, etc, very sad

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...73#post2254973
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Of course they all say, how it's 'meant' to be done or how 'our methods are not cruel' - but as many of the videos show in reality, that's not always the case - for example the cries of the animal in that vid, the way they started 'working on his head' before he was actually dead/passed out, etc, very sad

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...73#post2254973
I cannot see that video because it is not permitted here for some reason, but if it is one that was taken in the US by PETA or a similar organisation, then I have seen them. Agriprocessors, the largest Kasher slaughterhouse in the US, which provided an estimated 60% of the US Kasher meat and 40% of its Kasher poultry was raided early in 2008. Many videos were taken and I have seen more than a few of them.

However as I said, to the best of my knowledge such things have never happened to Kasher slaughter houses in the UK. I have no axe to grind nor am I trying to promote anyone or anything - I have not lived in the UK for 26 years. What I am saying is that any slaughter done in the way that occurred at Agriprocessors or any other place, means that the meat is "treif". Torn. Forbidden.

I keep strict Kashrut and until Pereg had her first seizure I never touched my computer from before the time the Sabbath came in at dusk on a Friday until 25 or so hours later, at nightfal on a Saturday. I only started using my computer after that because she had the first seizure on a Friday afternoon and I needed to find out as much information as I possibly could. And I have carried on using my computer on the Sabbath mainly because I am now studying as much as I possibly can about canine epilepsy, and one of the most important things is not to change Pereg's routine now. By using my computer it is just another day to her now so she does not notice any difference.

I still do not cook or do other things that I should not do, but I do use my computer, and that is my choice and my problem.

However, I have been to a Kasher slaughter house and seen shechita for myself. Not here but in the UK. And I am perfectly satisfied that in the UK, at least, it is carried out with compassion and respect for the animals, according to Halacha - the Jewish law.

I ask you to please accept what I say.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I cannot see that video because it is not permitted here for some reason, but if it is one that was taken in the US by PETA or a similar organisation, then I have seen them. Agriprocessors, the largest Kasher slaughterhouse in the US, which provided an estimated 60% of the US Kasher meat and 40% of its Kasher poultry was raided early in 2008. Many videos were taken and I have seen more than a few of them.

However as I said, to the best of my knowledge such things have never happened to Kasher slaughter houses in the UK. I have no axe to grind nor am I trying to promote anyone or anything - I have not lived in the UK for 26 years. What I am saying is that any slaughter done in the way that occurred at Agriprocessors or any other place, means that the meat is "treif". Torn. Forbidden.

I keep strict Kashrut and until Pereg had her first seizure I never touched my computer from before the time the Sabbath came in at dusk on a Friday until 25 or so hours later, at nightfal on a Saturday. I only started using my computer after that because she had the first seizure on a Friday afternoon and I needed to find out as much information as I possibly could. And I have carried on using my computer on the Sabbath mainly because I am now studying as much as I possibly can about canine epilepsy, and one of the most important things is not to change Pereg's routine now. By using my computer it is just another day to her now so she does not notice any difference.

I still do not cook or do other things that I should not do, but I do use my computer, and that is my choice and my problem.

However, I have been to a Kasher slaughter house and seen shechita for myself. Not here but in the UK. And I am perfectly satisfied that in the UK, at least, it is carried out with compassion and respect for the animals, according to Halacha - the Jewish law.

A lovely, informed, balanced post demonstrating first hand knowledge, excellent!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2011, 04:15 PM

It was filmed in Uruguay.

I think I just found the video you were on about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-P7sGebAhE

Disgusting!!! How can anyone think that is humane

In a way I am GLAD that the animal is not tied up, because it shows the true extent of suffering from this kind of slaughter! Something that is masked in the other videos - as the animals are tied up so it doesn't 'look' so bad.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
'Stunning' them seems to be a bit hit n miss as well!

It's put me right off meat! Don't think I'll be having any more red-meat (in fairness I don't eat much of it anyway).
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
'Stunning' them seems to be a bit hit n miss as well!

It's put me right off meat! Don't think I'll be having any more red-meat (in fairness I don't eat much of it anyway).
Thats how i feel too Azz, this threads been a real eye opener. I will still have to cook & prepare it as my mother eats it, as for myself - it saddens me no end....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post

Re regular slaughter - the stunning does not always work which means the animal really suffers.

Quite correct.
Good post.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Thats how i feel too Azz, this threads been a real eye opener. I will still have to cook & prepare it as my mother eats it, as for myself - it saddens me no end....
You could tell her they didn't have any in the shops
Page 23 of 41 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »