View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 08:21 AM
It's funny how if a predator animal is in Africa or India or some other place abroad it is a beautiful wild anmal and must be saved at all costs but if it is a British wild animal who also happens to be a predator it is VERMIN and must be killed .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yep, youre right. See what they cannot understand is that most people who control Foxes also like them. I do, I wouldnt of spent £55 to photograph them at close hand if I didnt, I expect you like them too.

Many think we want them wiped out, WE DONT, nothing could be further from the truth, but they DO need controlling and thats what I will do as will others.
Totally agree with you....

I still don't like the idea of fox hunting, i am no expert and have never witnessed it personnally, but the idea of a fox running for its life and then being torn apart whilst people watch is not something i understand people wanting to do.I think its the idea of people wanting to do this that bothers me.

Don't ask me what the anwser is as i have no idea and i can also understand the devastation they cause to people and their business's.
[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion , and sorry you had to go thought such a traumatic time..

but just to clarify the hi lighted bit... that is the misconception of those who dont understand the workings of the hunt...I did try to explain the dynamics earlier...

Those foxes that do get caught ar not the ones running full pelt across a field...they can out run any hound... the ones caught will have either gone to ground or be taking shelter somewhere..giving the pack the opportunity to catch them.

And as they will be in the undergrowth, the only people who will witness the kill will (if they happen to be there) will be the huntsman...

The field may be miles behind.... never seeing a fox all day.

As on another note, in the video it states, that the fox will be torn apart alive.... that the far from the truth..the lead dog will kill instantly..just like any other dog who catches a rabbit ..they take a neck hold and shake...its instinct.

You only have to observe your pooches shaking the life out of a toy.

As I think the video suggested , only wild cats can do that!

People have misconceptions of those who hunt... (toffs in funny dress) well the reality is they come from every walk of live...from professionals .... to shop assistants..and a wide variety in between.

the other misconception is " BLODDING" please!!!!!!!!! give me strenght... it is a good propaganda for the antis.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Isn't that 'lust for blood' a primitive thing in all of us?
I don't know if it is Wolfie

Maybe some people have always been more drawn to gathering mushrooms and planting crops than hunting game.

In a lot of ways I feel more connected to hunters from all societies in the world than I do with the nut gatherers from my own village.

I could sit down and have a sensible discussion with a hunter from a different culture (it would be interesting ) but sometimes communicating with emotional people who just don't 'get it' is very tiring. That's why I usually stay out of these debates, they are very draining due to the basic misunderstanding between different types of people.

Maybe some people are just genetically disposed to surviving on mushrooms and berries
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post

Maybe some people have always been more drawn to gathering mushrooms and planting crops than hunting game.

In a lot of ways I feel more connected to hunters from all societies in the world than I do with the nut gatherers from my own village.

I could sit down and have a sensible discussion with a hunter from a different culture (it would be interesting ) but sometimes communicating with emotional people who just don't 'get it' is very tiring. That's why I usually stay out of these debates, they are very draining due to the basic misunderstanding between different types of people.

Maybe some people are just genetically disposed to surviving on mushrooms and berries
Thats a really interesting point - I have never thought about it like that.....

I have never been able to 'finish' off an animal even when I know it was suffering (a couple of myxied rabbits spring to mind and a mouse that got trapped in a sliding door) I have always had to get someone else to do it - just can;t bring myself to do it. I have also hit a couple of rabbits whilst driving which sent me into a panic attack

I eat meat - and I will quite happily cut up raw liver and saw up marrow bones for the dogs, I just can't deal with it when it 'looks' real....thats even more silly isn't it!

I have grown up in rural place - never been hunting but often seen the various local hunts I have also had several friends who have participated with thier horses, not one of them had ever seen a fox brought down.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
It's funny how if a predator animal is in Africa or India or some other place abroad it is a beautiful wild anmal and must be saved at all costs but if it is a British wild animal who also happens to be a predator it is VERMIN and must be killed .
What a weird thing to say. How can anyone compare the UK to Africa and India? Do you really think if Lions, Elephants and Rhino's were walking up the high street we wouldnt need to control them? Thats a really silly comparison.

All wild animals need contolling, if they become endangered we do what we can to ensure their survival, if they are in huge numbers, disease ridden and causing problems they are controlled, simple as.
Dawn.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Back in the Dark Ages I used to work with horses and met a lot of Hunting people and argued the pros and cons with them. I was on holiday in Dartmoor talking to a farmer who said foxes took his lambs etc. and he lent me a horse and took me out with the farmers hunt over the Moors. Now we started first thing with maybe 150 people and ended around teatime with around 5 of us. Not a single fox was caught, despite us tearing about over people`s land all day. It seemed to me the most inefficient way to protect your livestock ever invented.
However, I could understand the excitement, and it was a really thrilling ride so I then went on a Drag Hunt in leafy Surrey. The track layer obviously has a sense of humour because at one point we all had to pull the Master (still mounted) out of a swamp. It was a equally a thrilling day BUT without the aim of killing.
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:18 AM
its us humans that need controling what or who gives us the right to decide what needs controling and how and when? have you ever thought that the wild animals in africa who were here before us, kill people when they get the chance because there trying to keep the human population down and under control
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by melzy View Post
its us humans that need controling what or who gives us the right to decide what needs controling and how and when? have you ever thought that the wild animals in africa who were here before us, kill people when they get the chance because there trying to keep the human population down and under control
Im sorry I cannot converse with anyone who makes such stupid comments.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

30-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I work my dogs in our field for rabbits. As we're inundated with the bloody things, the dogs do a good job of irradicating them (or at least trying to)

The sooner this stupid ban is lifted, the better it will be for rural area's.
Eradicate – to stamp out, to obliterate, and you say you like foxes!

Dawn, that's because they like the cute, fluffy image that a fox gives. Wonder how quick they'd change their minds if they had one come in and destroy a shed of chickens?
How patronising! Yeah your right those of us against THE HUNT are all fluffy bunny lovers.

Please you say your having an adult debate and then come out with this insulting rubbish.

Why is it so wrong for the fox doing what comes naturally but so right for a bunch of knobs riding rough shod over the country to doing something that hardly comes naturally and who are you to tell people what they are thinking?

What would I think if a fox came and destroyed my shed of chickens – I should of made the shed more secure – not rocket science is it?

Yep, youre right. See what they cannot understand is that most people who control Foxes also like them. I do, I wouldnt of spent £55 to photograph them at close hand if I didnt, I expect you like them too.

Many think we want them wiped out, WE DONT, nothing could be further from the truth, but they DO need controlling and thats what I will do as will others.
See above re eradication.

You talk about control but in one sentence the hunting lobby say they don’t actually kill that many foxes yet in another its helping control them.

But you described them as vermin in very large letters so why do you want them controled and not eradicated?

Isn't that 'lust for blood' a primitive thing in all of us?
No as far as Im aware its not – I have no wish to see animals ripped to bits just for fun you may enjoy it but please do not generalise about the rest of humanity.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
but just to clarify the hi lighted bit... that is the misconception of those who dont understand the workings of the hunt...I did try to explain the dynamics earlier....
Yep your so right those of us against the hunt are totally unaware of what goes on – actually in my case your wrong so please do not assume anything about me again.

Those foxes that do get caught ar not the ones running full pelt across a field...they can out run any hound... the ones caught will have either gone to ground or be taking shelter somewhere..giving the pack the opportunity to catch them.....
Then why chase them if its all about controlling fox populations and not fun?

Quite frankly its obviously you who know nothing about what really happens with the hunt – you watch it from you little hill on a frosty morning and its all very pretty from a distance isn’t it.

The reality is that those nice little shop keepers (please) are a bunch of yobs who have no problem taking a whip to either a horse a dog or a person.

And as they will be in the undergrowth, the only people who will witness the kill will (if they happen to be there) will be the huntsman...

The field may be miles behind.... never seeing a fox all day......
Again I ask why the hell are they needed then if its not just for the fun of terrorising an animal?

As on another note, in the video it states, that the fox will be torn apart alive.... that the far from the truth..the lead dog will kill instantly..just like any other dog who catches a rabbit ..they take a neck hold and shake...its instinct.

You only have to observe your pooches shaking the life out of a toy.
Again its fairly obvious you have never witnessed a kill – after all didn’t you say most of the ‘hangers on’ never get to see it? So how do you actually know what goes on? Or is it all on videos – do people really get off on that sort of thing?
:

People have misconceptions of those who hunt... (toffs in funny dress) well the reality is they come from every walk of live...from professionals .... to shop assistants..and a wide variety in between.

the other misconception is " BLODDING" please!!!!!!!!! give me strenght... it is a good propaganda for the antis.
Yep and football hooligans come from all walks of life as well – doesn’t make them any less of a yob does it? Or the activity any less illegal

Just as those of us against hunting have been accused of have this misconception about the fox being a fluffy little creature you obviously have a misconception about the hunt being all jolly and nice and the wiley old fox having the time of its life being chased (they go to ground because they cannot run any more dear) and then dieing some heroic instant death is being far more naïve than us anti’s!

Originally Posted by red collar View Post

Can you explain the phrase nut gatherers please and how you wish people to interpret it?

Please do not let us tire you out. You may have the emotions of a stone but that does not give you the right to be so rude about those of us who do care about things you do not. If you can only participate in conversation with people who totally agree with you its hardly a discussion is it? If you only want to hear one side of a discussion you can use the ignore button for anyone who dares to disagree with you.

Can I ask why people who disagree with just don’t ‘get it’ ? Couldn’t it be that they just have a different opinion to you or are you always totally in the right?

What a weird thing to say. How can anyone compare the UK to Africa and India? Do you really think if Lions, Elephants and Rhino's were walking up the high street we wouldnt need to control them? Thats a really silly comparison.

All wild animals need contolling, if they become endangered we do what we can to ensure their survival, if they are in huge numbers, disease ridden and causing problems they are controlled, simple as.
Dawn.
Now either this is about controlling wildlife in the country side or not, as Ive never seen the hunt riding up and down the high street 'controlling' anything either.

But this isn’t about control is it! Its about riding roughshod over the country side in a very inefficient manner to control anything.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Melzy are you honestly saying we shouldn't "control" levels or numbers of any wild creature?
Page 22 of 94 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 72 > Last »