Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Even the quotes you offered do not refer to actual nerves just the precursor to the formation of them.
I don't think I believe babies feel pain because some medical expert told me I think it might be because they cry from the first time they get a heel prick at hours old and certainly it is unmistakable when they receive injection at months old :smt001
What you have read has obviously convinced you but I am afraid I have read it all before and it has not done anything to convince me so pointless in keep telling me I ought to
I'm sure people in the past explained away those tears though didn't they, infactin the past, people just saw crying as being something that babies did and just left them to it. Bit like young pups
suckling when they have been through something unpleasant huh?
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Whether they chose to comfort the baby is different to not appreciating it hurt. I don't think they would have really questioned whether the baby had anything to cry about it.
Puppies tend to suckle whenever you disturb them.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I've heard a few people say the same, it's exactly what i'm afraid will happen in the docked breeds here, it may be a good while before they are back to as good a standard as they are now.

Patch it must have been late last night but I didn't mention the obvious reason, spaniels do different work to weimies and are more likely to go into thick cover. Although Weimies are HPR and general all rounders, they are a wee bit big to flush like a spaniel, and this is where a spaniel does most of it's tail damamge.

Also I spoke to a friend of mine who breeds long haired weimies for work, show and pet homes, and she says a lot of owners who work their weims, keep the long haired to do pointing and mainly retrieving, and don't encourage them to the kind of work in which their long hair may become entangled. So you learn something new every day! Personally i've only really been interested in owning short haired weimies so had to ask the experts.
the same iternational judge told me we have some of the finest rotties in europe . i hope all the good work that breeders have done in UK over many years does'nt go down the pan due to the docking ban !! some rottie breeders i know have said they will NOT have any more litters, and thats a damn shame !!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Myth 1 I have no doubt mature animals, mammals presumably, do feel pain as humans do but the question is what of neonates and this statement does not appear to be dealing with that.
Myth 2 Are we talking about precocious neonates such as puppies or more generally of animals that may have a much lengthier gestation? Many mammals are born much further developed, able to hear, see and even walk.
The evidence I have is that of my own experience. I have reasonable experience of puppies and have spent many hours with little to do in the nursery but observe them. They are not without means of making you aware when they are uncomfortable from the very beginning. I am also been present at the docking of several litters and know what I have observed there.
the 11 pups i had docked last year were only 24 hours old when they were done, and as i said earlier in this thread, there was not a sound from any of them, and no apparent distress either .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
the 11 pups i had docked last year were only 24 hours old when they were done, and as i said earlier in this thread, there was not a sound from any of them, and no apparent distress either .
Apparent is the important word in that reply isn't it?

Hewey just stated that the pups suckle whenever they are disturbed, which says a lot actually. They suckle in order to release natural stress relievers into the milk (and pain killers come to that), the argument that pups are ok with docking they just go suckle form mum, doesn't stand, just like in the past the argument that babies didn't feel pain, they just cry anyway, hasn't exactly stood the tests of time and modern advances into the understanding of 'pain'.

As for some rotti owners (or owners of ANY) breed not breeding anymore because the dogs will have tails. Good. There is more to the dog than a tail and whilst I want a dog that I like the look of, that comes in second place to its personality, health and temperament.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Pups should be 'stressed' on their early weeks of life as it tends to improve their personalities when older, they are less 'wary' if you like. Those 'stresses' however should be introduced very gradually and should be simple, like being picked up. Too much stress however, sends it the other way, it is a fine balancing act. I would consider chopping their tails off, to be quite a lot of 'stress'.....
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
just like in the past the argument that babies didn't feel pain, they just cry anyway, hasn't exactly stood the tests of time and modern advances into the understanding of 'pain'.
To be honest I have never heard this arguement. I am aware of research into the pain receptors in foetuses but have never heard of any such discussion regarding babies as such.
I suppose neither of us know for certain but I have always assumed puppies suckle when they are disturbed because unless they have very recently received their fill they are programmed to always take on more due to their regular need. I don't think they would find it particularly stressfull to be awakened because it happens regularly as the dam moves around.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I would consider chopping their tails off, to be quite a lot of 'stress'.....
On that basis the average dog of a docked breed could be expected to be exhibiting signs of this stress damage but, certainly in my breed, the temperament remains sound for the vast majority as it has for the last couple of centuries. Those who aren't so sound are generally far more likely to be linked to very poor breeding, the breeders infact that seem more inclined not to bother docking.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
Whats to support? How do you think you are going to change the Law?
I am staunchly PRO docking, but recognise that others may have a different opinion, as is their right.

If it is any consolation, you may be delighted to learn that one of my beautiful docked pups will be winging its way Aberdeenward at the end of next week
hi thandi , have a look at friday's front page headlines in "dog world" paper, attempts are being made to ammend the DDA, and the KC are involved in the attempts, glory,glory !! but back to the docking dabate. obviously pro dockers are in the minority, but i read somewhere years ago that democracy is judged on it's
ability to stand up for the minority, seems to me we've lost out along the way !!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Unless you own what used to be a "dual purpose breed", I honestly can't see what the fuss is about.

So there will be a period of adjustment for shows etc, and people are going to have to maybe rethink their breeding lines with regards to "good" and "bad" tails.

Max and his sister Millie have tails and they are no different to any other Boxer.

They have as much chance of injuring their tails as Dalmatians, Bull Mastiffs and DDB's do (similar types of tail), and any other dog with a tail (Labs, GSD's etc).

I can see how some people are upset that they can no longer show and work their animals, but the law is the law, and anyway, a tail is only one part of a dog.

If you love your breed, surely a tail, or lack of it, only makes up one part of the whole package?
Page 22 of 30 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »