register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
billynobles
New Member!

25-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Ok, another thing that I have been thinking about.
hypothetical scenario.

Person A disagrees with breeding dogs, as there are too many in rescue.

They look on the websites for rescue dogs needing homes.

They see a pedigree dog they like looks wise.

They adopt the said dog, ie. from another part of the country, only having seen a picture.

They adopt a pedigree dog because they like that breed, but that dog would not look like it did if it hadnt been bred by a breeder. (Good or bad)

If person A thinks that people should get a rescue rather than a dog from a breeder, then chooses a specific breed to adopt over maybe a more desperate mongrel or whatever, then isnt that being hypocritical?

Just a thought.

BN
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Youve got a point BN
Tanya
New Member!

25-08-2004, 12:53 PM
I do have to agree with BN
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 12:53 PM
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 12:54 PM
thats what i was trying to say about ten million pages back but you explained it properly!! i agree!!!
billynobles
New Member!

25-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Im only saying what I said as I have 6 dogs, all different, 5 of them I had never clapped eyes on before they got to me, but were desperate. Im not overly fond of small dogs, but I have a 10yr old yorkie coming Friday. Its desperate.

Thats commitment to rescueing dogs, any gender or looks.

BN
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 01:14 PM
we always had rescue dogs when i was a kid ...we would travel mlies and miles to pick them up ......infact Sunday afternoons were booked for the local pound to see all the dogs ...
billynobles
New Member!

25-08-2004, 01:18 PM
and I bet you didnt know what they looked like first!
I understand that some people will only rescue dogs rather than buy, but if they prefer a certain breed of dog to rescue, then they are still subconciously picking out an asthetic look created by breeders. I'm not passing judgement at all, because they are still getting a dog out of rescue situation, but you cant argue on breeding if thats the way you want to get a certain breed from rescue.

Clear as mud.

BN
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2004, 01:40 PM
nope we had no idea... I think my parents fell for any sad face no matter what breed..... looking back on it now LOL we were the dog home kids it was our sunday trip out..... I now own cavaliers and as some of you might know that Syrinogmyelia is a huge health problem in this breed and i have spend many many hours searching through pedigree's to avoid certain area's of doubt.... I know that my girls are as far away from (SM) as possible .... perhaps thats why people who have done their homework on the breed prefer to buy?
please don't shoot me down just a theory
as in if i was looking for a cavalier I would want to check out it's background before I homed it (SM) is a horrid illness
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by billynobles
Ok, another thing that I have been thinking about.
hypothetical scenario.

Person A disagrees with breeding dogs, as there are too many in rescue.

They look on the websites for rescue dogs needing homes.

They see a pedigree dog they like looks wise.

They adopt the said dog, ie. from another part of the country, only having seen a picture.

They adopt a pedigree dog because they like that breed, but that dog would not look like it did if it hadnt been bred by a breeder. (Good or bad)

If person A thinks that people should get a rescue rather than a dog from a breeder, then chooses a specific breed to adopt over maybe a more desperate mongrel or whatever, then isnt that being hypocritical?

Just a thought.

BN
In my opinion no. There will always be pedigrees in rescue. I love Boxers and Bullmastiffs (examples because I've rescued them), but I wouldnt pay someone to bring a litter into the world so as to get one. So I rescue one that is already discarded instead. You can love a breed and still recognise that most have too many people churning them out. I didnt hang around waiting for either breed, I took dogs that needed me there and then - as I said before it was very quick. If a mongrel that would have fit in had come up, they'd be here now - I haven't stuck with one particular breed (having owned a Beardie, a lurcher, fostered two greyhounds and owned a beautiful crossbreed before) but I have stuck with rescues. My two are here purely because of timing and need. What breed they were was purely secondary to that and that is not hypocritical.
Closed Thread
Page 22 of 32 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »