Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Wow -- Salty is NOT fat! he is a stunning example of the breed and not 'overdone' at all, unlike some show types.

I just thought he looked 'big'... my uncles breed is Labs, and he told me ages ago that the american ones are bigger built than the british ones... I have to say, I prefer the smaller built ones, and there are two stunning females like that who live near me. There is also a HUGE male lab... his head is massive

Honestly though, labs are a breed I don't pay much attention to, so I have no idea if it is an american/british thing or a show/working thing...
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Did anyone see quite a few nervous looking dogs in the Pastoral group judging? The Malinois looked positively terrified I also thought the Border Collie looked lame?!
I thought that too (about the Malinois). The Komonder seemed not at all happy about having the judge look her over. I am unsure if he actually did? They certainly didn't show it if so. I think they do have the reputation of being difficult dogs for strangers to handle but this was a top show dog.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I just thought he looked 'big'... my uncles breed is Labs, and he told me ages ago that the american ones are bigger built than the british ones... I have to say, I prefer the smaller built ones, and there are two stunning females like that who live near me. There is also a HUGE male lab... his head is massive

Honestly though, labs are a breed I don't pay much attention to, so I have no idea if it is an american/british thing or a show/working thing...
Salty is a moderate type of show dog and is not 'big' at all. You can get MUCH more extreme than Salty, trust me. He is what the breed should look like. Most people are used to seeing poorly bred, tall, thin Labs that look nothing like the breed should.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Salty is a moderate type of show dog and is not 'big' at all. You can get MUCH more extreme than Salty, trust me. He is what the breed should look like. Most people are used to seeing poorly bred, tall, thin Labs that look nothing like the breed should.
That would be a description of the ones who work round here. Gamekeepers etc seem to like them----but what do they know?

rune
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Sorry to avoid from the labrador issue, but I wondered if everyone had seen the released health form for the Clumber, and what they thought?

After talking to some KC people about this today, along with veterinarians who had been consulted, I can see where they are going with their route. I hope they stick to it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
That would be a description of the ones who work round here. Gamekeepers etc seem to like them----but what do they know?

rune
Not much about the look of the breed by the sound of it.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Sorry to avoid from the labrador issue, but I wondered if everyone had seen the released health form for the Clumber, and what they thought?

After talking to some KC people about this today, along with veterinarians who had been consulted, I can see where they are going with their route. I hope they stick to it.
In the interview the owner said it was just conjunctivitus---I assumed she hadn't realised that on the same web page the form was reproduced!

It did make me think that if she was lying about what was on her form maybe the owners of the other dogs are doing the same?

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:30 PM
I think he looks 'big'. Compared to a lot of the fit and healthy labs I see around here, he is bigger than them.

The dog that lives around here is a much more extreme dog, but that doesn't change my opinion that Salty is 'big'.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I think he looks 'big'. Compared to a lot of the fit and healthy labs I see around here, he is bigger than them.

The dog that lives around here is a much more extreme dog, but that doesn't change my opinion that Salty is 'big'.
Well if by big you mean fat, then you are mistaking fat for substance. The two are not one and the same.

Unless it is frighteningly obvious, you cannot judge whether ANY dog is fat by looking at a picture.

People who criticize dogs like Salty as being overweight have probably never had their hands on a well conditioned show type in their life. It is all too easy to be an armchair critic.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Show type Labs are 'chunkier' looking (for want of a better word). My personal preference is for the looks of the working type, but both have lovely characters
Page 22 of 40 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »